Launch Control Part Needed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

rbeckey

Reaction score
I am looking for a single pole three position rotary switch, rated at least 10 amps at 12 volts. RS is no go, as are various auto parts stores in the area. A Google search was not real helpful. Would a regular electrical supply house perhaps have this item? Is there an internet supplier I did not happen upon?
If this is too difficult to find I need another way to select between three pads. I guess I could use three toggle switches, but the rotary switch would be more selection positive.

rbeckey

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Mouser has lots of rotary switches, but many have a minimum purchase of 10, 25 or even 50. I also had a hard time filtering the 489 results. If you saw a specific part, please let me know.

DJ Delorie

Reaction score
Use a regular rotary switch to activate one of three high current relays.

goose_in_co

Reaction score
When will you use the switch?

The rating of 10A is for switching 10A of current. If you want to select a pad, then launch, there is virtually no current at the time that you are switching, then when you launch, a short burst of current is sent through the switch. Once the switch is closed it will handle more current than it's switch rating, for example, a rotary switch that is rated 1.5A can sucessfully switch1.5 Amps of current without wearing out the contacts, However, once the switch is selected and not moving, it can handle 5-10Amps easily.

If you are using this switch as a pad selector, the Radio Shack variety should work for you for many years.

Goose

Elapid

Reaction score
i used to work in the electronics industry and to combat high minimum purchase requirements, i would often have to ask them for some Engineering Samples
Mouser, Digi-Key, Allied...it's all the same...

that makes it EASY for the salesperson to get you the parts you need, and saves you cash.

:D

good luck!

Aron Sanford

Reaction score
Go to digikey.com I am an amateur (ham radio)& they will sell one or two items no problem to you! They take most cards!
Aron

rbeckey

Reaction score
Thanks! For a buck how can I go wrong?

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
Originally posted by rbeckey
Thanks! For a buck how can I go wrong?
That switch will self destruct the first time you try to pass anything close to 12A thru it.

Where did you get 12A? That is a whopping big amount of DC current for a rotary switch. I did find a couple rated at 5A.

This is closer @ 5A

If you want to handle that kind of current,

Something like this is what you will need

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Rbeckey:
Try allied electroinics on line. they day a 25.00 minimum but that's easy to meet.
www.alliedelec.com tons of rotray switches 2 to 24 position. Hi amp ratings.