Launch battery recommendation….

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the things I have been doing with my LPR ignitors is enhancing them with black powder. I use a cellulose adhesive in which I dip the tip of the ignitor and then dip it in black powder. I stick the legs into a piece of foam and let it dry. I have never had one of these fail ignition.

Years back I did a bunch of mass launch pads for a kids launch (takes a lot of impulse to launch a kid but that is another story), I found that the quest igniters were so quick that they would launch before any of the other igniters, plus there was a pretty good chance at least one of the clips falling would short out keeping the remainder from launching. The solution was to put a 1 ohm 'power resistor' in series with each of the pad leads. Worked really well.

This was using a 12V 7.2Ah Lead Acid battery.

YMMV
That sounds like Q2G2s (now sadly unavailable). I still have a stash that are used mostly for clusters….but I will dig one out if I want to get the first point in a drag race, too.

I think this is exactly what is happening. What's the right solution for midpower composite? What is a better ignitor solution for D-G Quest/aerotech composite motors?
These days the igniters (AKA FirstFire Micro/Mini initiators) that come with them are pretty good. I generally have good luck with them on 3s LiPoly or 12V lead-acid-powered club systems.

I was talking about Estes Sonic Igniters when I was saying they fired too fast for White Lighting on 12V, which were created for use with their relabeled Aerotech E-G motors ten years ago, fired by the 9V (6 C-cell) PSII controller. That said, for most Aerotech propellants, Estes Sonics can and do work.

These days the igniters (AKA FirstFire Micro/Mini initiators) that come with them are pretty good. I generally have good luck with them on 3s LiPoly or 12V lead-acid-powered club systems.
I had three of the minis chuff this weekend on a 12V lead-acid launch controller. One worked on a D22, the other three gave a little puff of white smoke, smoked the ignitor and didn't start the motors.

I don't believe it is the battery. We launched 4, and it recharged in <10 minutes and shows 12.94v.

Seems, for D, E, F composit motors, I can either get some wildman lil' uns, or put a 1 ohm resistor inline.

Grrrr...I just want to fly.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned MJG. Just use their black powder or composite igniters, as appropriate. I use them for all my cluster launches. https://electricmatch.com/rocketry
I looked at that, but I'm trying to find something that will work with composite D-Fs. Not clear what to get, and not clear if I can trim down the composite ignitors to fit D-Fs. Also a bit fiddly, need the wires, time to dip, get them right, use them all up with the chemicals, or reconstitute if dipping more later...ugh.

I'd just like for the launch controller to work with the FF jr. (1ohm resistor might work), or use the wildman lil' uns....

Are there no other solutions?

Tried it with an old First Fire (copper tape type), and it worked great! Ignited all the pyrogen. When I looked at the first fire jrs that failed, some of the pyrogen had not been burnt. I'm excited to FLY!

Back