Latin rules!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsonly

Reaction score
Did anyone here study Latin as a student?

Alright alright... I'm just procrastinating for my Latin test tomorrow. Now, back to studying.

PS: procrastinating comes from the Latin word "cras", meaning "tomorrow." My middle school teacher used to always sing, "Crasss, crasss" Sound familiar eh? I don't know who sings it though.

tomorrow!

i took a class in latin and greek word roots back in high school and it has helped me immensely over the years. it covered prefixes/suffixes as well as roots.

:)

have 'fun' guy!
fungi?

Originally posted by rocketsonly
Did anyone here study Latin as a student?

Alright alright... I'm just procrastinating for my Latin test tomorrow. Now, back to studying.

PS: procrastinating comes from the Latin word "cras", meaning "tomorrow." My middle school teacher used to always sing, "Crasss, crasss" Sound familiar eh? I don't know who sings it though.

Not formally, but I did study the latin and other famous quotes and phrases section of my parents' big dictionary and picked up quite a bit. My daughter did, and I picked up lots more. I love etymology.

I recently came across the point that the word "salary" comes from the latin word used to describe Roman centurions' pay being given in salt. I confess I came across it in one of Terry Prachett's Discworld books, but that doesn't change the facts. Prachett frequenctly synthesized latin for phrases such as "No problem" and "make my day, punk." It's EDUCATONAL. That's why I own every Discworld book and some of the "extras". Sure, right, that's why.

Three years in high school. Helped a lot on my verbal SATs. Also learned lots of history in the process.

MetMan

Yeah, after struggling through French and Russian... I still needed 2 semesters of a language - so I took Latin. Best choice I ever made. It gives the basis for being able to read all the Romance languages.... and there's a lot in English that has its roots in Latin.

Also you can come up with neat mottos and names for rockets. Once I kitbashed two Big Daddy kits in a rocket I named Pater Grandis ... okay, I guess it's not all that clever, but it worked.

Romanes eunt domus!

Originally posted by DynaSoar
Prachett frequenctly synthesized latin for phrases such as "No problem" and "make my day, punk." It's EDUCATONAL. That's why I own every Discworld book and some of the "extras". Sure, right, that's why.
Another Terry Pratchett fan! :) Here's what I did to the Discworld. And here's what Terry did to my model. :D

The real trick, if I can manage it, is to fly a Kite. Morituri nolumus mori...

The closest I will get to Latin is Spanish. I wanted to do something other than French again and one of my aunts is Spanish. It'll be fun!

The closest I will get to Latin is Spanish.

Donde es la bano?

Ricardo, Mas margaritas, por favor!

That's all the Spanish I need!:D

Im taking german. My teacher is kind of wierd, but other than that its pretty cool. I can already count to a hundred.:D

I've had to years...:D Great language... Now for my teacher's favorite phrase (and not really correct latin)

Semper ubi sub ubi...:)

Roughly translated Always Where under where.

Originally posted by adrian
Romanes eunt domus!

Another Terry Pratchett fan! :) Here's what I did to the Discworld. And here's what Terry did to my model. :D

The real trick, if I can manage it, is to fly a Kite. Morituri nolumus mori...

Most awesome! A Great A'Tuin-inator!

Maybe I'll build the Dibbler's Sausage Express. After all, they come up as often as go down. Inna bun!

No sooner did I write a fan fic piece about building a dragon based rocket and orbiting Discworld, the graphic novel came out with much the same characters. I even had them going by way of a moon. Another good idea someone else had first.

S'okay, now I've got pictures to build one from. I'll leave the writing to the writers.

Originally posted by sandman
Donde es la bano?

My father won a free trip to Acapulco from Zenith, for selling a bunch of their TVs one year. He also just got into the store the very first model Sharp electronic translator. He took it with him.

When he got back he said that every time he used it, people either looked at him funny or laughed.

I tested it by punching in "donde esta el bano" and translating to English. I got back "do the bath is in house".

If there's one phrase that you want to make sure is understood.....

Hold up your fist near your face, fingertips facing out, with your thumb sticking out between your index and middle fingers. Wave it back and forth a few inches while arching your eyebrows like you're asking a question. Now you can ask a deaf person where the bathroom is. Or Koko the gorilla for that matter; she knows that one.

Ehinus unica duntaxat arte tutus est adversus canum morsus, siquidem spini suis semet involit in pilae specium, ut nulla ex parte morsu, prendi queat.

I just like that sentence...:) Anyone have a clue?

Originally posted by Justin Horne
I've had to years...:D Great language... Now for my teacher's favorite phrase (and not really correct latin)

Semper ubi sub ubi...:)

Roughly translated Always Where under where.

Haha, yea, we learned that one too.

Originally posted by Justin Horne
Ehinus unica duntaxat arte tutus est adversus canum morsus, siquidem spini suis semet involit in pilae specium, ut nulla ex parte morsu, prendi queat.

I just like that sentence...:) Anyone have a clue?

Nope, can you tell us? :D

I suppose..:)

It's from a book I'm reading. The translation I can tell is not dead on, but good enough:
The hedgehog only has one technique to keep itself safe against the dogs' bite, since it rolls tself up, spines outward, into kind of a ball, so that it cannot be captured by biting.

The phrase probably makes more sense having read the book...:)

Back