Latest scratch project - ShamRocker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore Check

Reaction score
My latest scratch project and original design rocket is complete!

This started with a "what do I do with these leftover centering rings and bits of body tube" project, but it's not that complicated.

I got to messing around with RSim, and "built" it on the computer first. It has a twin 24mm x 3.75" motor mount. On two Estes "E" engines, it sims to over 2200 ft.

This is my first go with elliptical fins - I kinda like 'em!

I designed the decals, but TangoPapa printed them as waterslides for me when he made my last batch.

I decided on the paint scheme and the Leprechaun because the four elliptical fins looked like a bit of a shamrock.

Parts list:

Estes PNC60AH
4" BT60
1.75" long balsa conical transition from BT60 to BT70
12" BT70
4 elliptical fins of 1/8 balsa, 3" root cord x 3" semi-span
2 x 3.75" BT50 motor mount tubes
2 custom centering rings of 3/16 basswood
Kevlar mounts to the motor tubes for the shock cord anchor
3/16" launch lugs
I'll use a 45" x 1/4" flat elastic shock cord. Haven't decided on chute size - either 18" or 24", leaning towards 24".

Total length: 24.5"

A *slightly* different angle from the above pic

Now it just needs a pint of green beer next to it :D
Looks great! Kinda like a bloated Estes Rainmaker. That decal is what really makes it. It's hillarious!

Weekends

that is SWEET.

minus the beer, it also needs Irish lasses.

I wish I could slow down enough to build something nice like that, but I'm in a hurry to replace the stuff I've lost or fix the stuff I tore up. I just want to fly 'em.

Cool design. I really like it when a modeler produces a new design AND a complete paint scheme with decals, etc.

Originally posted by Weekends
Now it just needs a pint of green beer next to it :D
Green Beer ???? Guinness more like!! :D ;) :D

Which reminds me of a truly awful joke I know:
What hairstyle do Irish Rastafarians have? - Padlocks!!
(sorry)

Hehe...I think you should pour some Lucky Charms in it instead of wadding! :D Nice rocket! Very well themed. :)

that is a very cool design, made even better with the theme you chose :)

Themes are sometimes tough to pull off but you did it in grand style!

Originally posted by powderburner
Looks like a really good job!

Any hints on where you found your Leprechaun?

Actually, I just did a web search on Leprechaun pics and browsed around until I found one I liked. Don't remember what site, but I downloaded it to my computer. Here it is, btw:

Back