Latest Satellite Imagery of West Coast Wildfires

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. How many acres have burned on the West coast in the last 10 years? Are we close to having burned up all the deadfall?

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to really work that way. For example, the town of Paradise CA which burned disastrously in 2018 is has another large wildfire threatening it again right now. These fires aren't all about burning off years of accumulated fuel, with the weather conditions we have now they can happen on a regular basis.

Apparently the numbers for Oregon are about 1/2 million acres burn in a typical year, and we're close to 1 million in this week's events.

Here in Portland we're all just hoping the wind stays down and the rain forecast for next week actually comes.

Here’s an actual picture from space

Attachments

• FFD5CF08-C960-4434-A176-13F8DF666847.jpeg
    FFD5CF08-C960-4434-A176-13F8DF666847.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 57
I live about 5 miles from the "bobcat fire", everybody is complaining about burning eyes and lungs, and it smells like an ashtray outside. It's been snowing ashes for like 4 days now... everybody's car looks terrible.

I live about 5 miles from the "bobcat fire", everybody is complaining about burning eyes and lungs, and it smells like an ashtray outside. It's been snowing ashes for like 4 days now... everybody's car looks terrible.
Stay safe. Five miles away is probably only a few hours away with an unfavorable wind.

I live about half a mile south of the hills where the bobcat fire is (Monrovia, CA). Scary times. AQI was off the charts this morning. Literally off the charts.

I live about half a mile south of the hills where the bobcat fire is (Monrovia, CA). Scary times. AQI was off the charts this morning. Literally off the charts.
Way too close.

Hope you have your go bag ready and are fully prepared to haul the irreplaceable stuff to safety if it all goes south.

Scary times indeed.

Stay safe!

Have a bag or two packed with personal papers and photographs, and a change of clothes. Pack a lot of water and woollen blankets. Make sure your car(s) is filled with fuel and ready to go.

Leave when told to, or even before. Don't wait it out.

Fingers crossed for all you guys. We've been there, too.

Back