Latest Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Bernal Sphere Space Stations Ever Exist?

• Yes

• No

• A What?

• Yes

• No

• A What?

Results are only viewable after voting.

GL-P

Reaction score
This is my latest endeavor. I picked up a 24mm Ellis Mountain G37 at LDRS. I built a 24mm rocket to handle this motor and now the rocket is done!!!

The nosecone is a custom wood one and the fins have a layer of 2oz cloth on them.

It weighs 3-4oz empty.

This is a better pic:

The orange turned out real nice!

I need humble opinions!

I think we've all at least thought of doing something like this, so my humble opinion is that it's awesome. :cool:
Good luck with the flight. Maybe you'll even get it back ;)
I wish I could see it fly. Hey, take a video, but be careful not to get whiplash. That'd make a great decal, "Whiplash".
On second thought, let someone else video it. I wouldn't want you to miss the flight. :D

Tim

I don't expect to get it back but I'm gonna use good mylar streamers and pray they glitter in the light.:D

I got some friends with a better video camera than I do. I'll see if I can get it and have a server to host it.

I wouldn't want to miss the only flight!!!:D

What about using a Pratt Micro Beacon , maybe that will aid you in finding her! Too much of a awesome rocket to loose ! :D

Thanks!!! I have an RF locator I might use...:D

I haven't made a G37-10W file yet but I think I will today. My guess is 5000-5500ft:D

I got the file!!!!!!

The output:

5700 ft
Mach 1.03
34G's
Deployment at 30fps!!!!!

Holy jeez!!!!

I've created a monster!!!
:D

I did a similar project with an old Aerotech G25-15.

Even with about a 1/2 cup of tracking powder there was a teeny tiny red cloud waaaaay up there.

sandman

your crazy.

would i do it if i could? of course!! duh!:D
I wanted to do something like this with the old AT G55 (24mm), i think it simmed to just over mach 1.3...

well, good luck with the flight, hope that little monster holds together, and meby you even get it back :rolleyes:

Originally posted by GL-P
I got the file!!!!!!

The output:

5700 ft
Mach 1.03
34G's
Deployment at 30fps!!!!!

Holy jeez!!!!

I've created a monster!!!
:D

Here's an idea I had but haven't had the chance to try yet.
Mix your tracking powder half and half with silver glitter. It should give a nice shiny cloud along with your color and make it more visible. It's very light. It's essentially mylar confetti.

At 30 fps deploy, you're gonna need some hefty anti-zipper technique. Maybe hook a few inches of BT20 on the shockcord where it exits the body?

Is the design optimised for altitude or is it minimum mass for speed?

I have built a design that looks very similar - a bit longer as it has a full electronics bay with altimeter and RF tracker in it. I used LOC tubing, 1/16" balsa fins and then tip to tip glassed it with 2 layers of 2oz glass. That did about 900ft on a D12 and was way over optimum mass - I designed mine to fly on an F39 but that is after some lower powered test flights. With all that on board I have got to get it back.

I had intended packing the recovery section with chopped mylar too - should help tracking at apogee.

Hint - check your CP as with an empty electronics bay mine was very wobbly in flight on a C6 - once on a D with ballast installed it was dead straight and that was in strong winds. I would suggest some flights on smaller motors to test stability, tracking etc. I would have thought 30fps with a streamer should be OK

Good luck, take photos

It's optimised for altitude. I think it's a little under the optimal mass. Wahooo!!!:D

This is only the beginning. I've been offered a minialtimeter to fly in a 24mm rocket with a G. The G record up here is blank so they want me to get an altitude record with there altimeter. Great advertising!!! I have an optimal mass of 10-12oz. I have an rf locator I can shove in. Should be a good build!

This is just the beginning of the madness my friends!!! Will post lots of pics!!! Thanks for all of your suggestions!!! They will help lots!!!

Update: I flew drag race against my old minimum diameter 24mm rocket and it won on a D12. I lost it on a E30 though. It was a little streak of smoke and it was gone. :D

Next Project: G altitude attempt with a 24mm G55!!!:D

Originally posted by DynaSoar

Mix your tracking powder half and half with silver glitter. It should give a nice shiny cloud along with your color and make it more visible. It's very light. It's essentially mylar confetti.

LOL!

I'd ~love~ to be a fly on the radar screen of that ATC tower! :)

JoeController- "I swear boss, the bogey just popped up, hung around
for a few minutes, then POOF! It was gone..."

BossMan- "Well, before we go calling the Area51 folks, let's walkyou to the
nurse for a quick test...."

Back