Latest project: non rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astronboy

Reaction score
Well, I have been working heavily on a project lately.It is a gift for my wife's birthday on Oct 2.

She collects Mickey Mouse stuff, and has this set of 5 marionettes. I built a temprary 'dust shield' for them from aschitecht's foam core board and clear shrink wrap a few years ago, but it is UGLY.

So I decided to build a nice Mickey cabinet for the set. The box must fit on top of a low dresser, yet hold the marionettes.
I took measurements, and drew designs for a few days, then bought some wood and started at it.

After a week or so, I finally have the cabinetry done, and only need to add the back, the Mickey Mouse painted facade, and the plexi-glass 'window'

Here is a pick of the cabinet so far:

I have used many of my model rocket scratchbuiling tools and skills so far: The drill press, 4" table saw, and even Elmer's fill-n-finish!! The most fun was fitting the 5'x5' sheet of 1/8" plywood (in the background) in the back of the Mini Cooper!!

Here is a better view of the cabinet:

In order to hang the marionettes inside the case, and allow them to be removed, I cut up my 1/2" rocket paint stick dowels and fashioned wooden brackets to hold them:

Once I attach the back, I will prime and paint the cabinet 'Mickey Mouse Red'. The facade will be sorta a cross between a cartoon circus tent and a theater. Here is something I found on the web that I will be using as inpiration:

Actually, I am ging 'old school' with this one... no decals. I will hand paint and hand letter the facade. Red with Yellow-gold letters, black outlines, and a Mickey face top center. I am still working on the final design...

Very nice!

The theater curtain is a nice touch and one I was going to suggest until I saw the picture.

Women love it when you make them stuff!

Tell your wife happy birthday for me...same day as my birthday!

Just send me some decals.

very kewl! I have a friend in Scotia who has a nice collection of Mickey stuff. He's going to love this! :)

That is one very cool piece of work.It's nice to see that there are still people interested in doing stuff like that.You should be on the Modern Masters show.That's the forgotten crafts show not the PBS playwrites show.
It reminds me of something out of one of my favorite childhood books;The American Boy's Handy Book by Daniel Beard.

I have so many projects that I need to work on:

Rocketry website (complete with a research paper)
Scrapbook
Cross Stich
garden
2 scarves

And, the most important thing: finding a shred of sanity to realize that I start too many things. Oh well. I have to be in the mood to do any of the above.

Nice Mickey Mouse project. Brings memories back from my childhood. :)

Back