Latest addition to the fleet...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to build a cluster rocket since, in all my years in the hobby, I have never flown one. It is similar to an Astron Ranger, though a bit longer. It is scratch built from parts box. Kind of a retro design, I guess, it was inspired by a rocket I saw on the ASP website. I even borrowed parts of the paint scheme.

It has a three 18mm cluster power and a payload bay, so it fits within the old 60s catalog description of a "heavy lift payload rocket". It seemed to need an "Astron" sounding name, so I'm calling it Starlifter. The name is also in honor of my best friend and his dad, who were both C-141 pilots. The star on the nose was "lifted" from Lockheed as well!

I used the GTW (Gluey Tissue Wad) method to seal between the motor mounts, which worked well and was a whole lot less of a mess than I expected.

Still need to add the name down the side between the black stripes and then clear coat. The old formula red Rustoleum gave me fits and took an age to dry, but it is what it is and looks good from five feet!

No maiden yet. Maybe this weekend at the DART launch...

Here are a few pics:

IMG_20170223_085043.jpgIMG_20170223_085005.jpgIMG_20170223_082145.jpgIMG_20170223_081909.jpgIMG_20170223_082218.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Mike

Last edited:
IMG_0970.JPG

Great finish on your rocket. I like the markings. I cloned the Astron Cobra a few years back. I had wanted one since a kid. Here is how I secure the motors. A metal rod threaded internally with 4-40 threads was epoxied between tubes. A bolt with washer captures the three motors.

Thanks for the kind words gents!

Trident, that is a brilliant idea! I think I'm going to use that on this bird. Should not be too much trouble to retrofit, do you think?

Thanks again!

Mike

Thanks again everyone!

I got the name put on the sides with those annoying rub-on letters and got a couple of coats of Future/Pledge clear coat applied. Came out pretty good!

I'll try to post some pics when I get home.

Thanks again!

Very nice... I've had a few 18mm clusters where I epoxied some all-thread in the middle and used a washer and nut to be my 'motor retainer'.

Here she is, all ready to go.

The name down the sides was done with rub-on lettering (a pain...) and then the whole bird was clear coated with Pledge floor polish.

(There is a thread about using Pledge as clear coat over in the watering hole. It has links to the plastic model world who seem to be using Pledge for everything from clear coat to dessert topping. Link: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?139215-Micro-or-others-Future-Procedure)

She can certainly be flown with friction fit motors, so even though I'm planning to add screw-type motor retention I'll call the Starlifter finished! :cool:

Here are a few more pics:

IMG_20170228_090054.jpgIMG_20170228_090139.jpgIMG_20170228_090128.jpgIMG_20170228_090242.jpg

Thanks for looking and for all the nice words. Much appreciated!!

Thanks for the kind words gents!

Trident, that is a brilliant idea! I think I'm going to use that on this bird. Should not be too much trouble to retrofit, do you think?

Thanks again!

Mike

Mike, should be an pretty easy retrofit. The threaded rod is part of a RC airplane clevis pin. You might need to clip off the "wings", depending on clearance. I used the 4-40 size, as shown in this link.

https://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-b...l5d9yIkY97eBzSH61GkWssr8LYR0amx09vxoCdN7w_wcB

And the lettering done by hand; might have been a pain but can't argue the results! My father used to use the rub on lettering for our ho scale car projects. Tough stuff to use; I'm thinking you have WAAAAY more patience than I...

fm

Last edited:
Thank Lee, that is really a great idea. I was going to ask what you used for the threaded tube. I fly RC and control line and must have a thousand threaded clevises of various sizes in the shop!

Thank Lee, that is really a great idea. I was going to ask what you used for the threaded tube. I fly RC and control line and must have a thousand threaded clevises of various sizes in the shop!

There you go Mike! Right under your nose, even. I have to back to the hobby store and get some larger sizes. I've got parts accumulated to build an upscaled Astronaut Cobra using three 24mm motors, so there will definitely be more room for the retaining bolt.

Back