Late L3 success announcement

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Knight

Reaction score
I've just recently found this forum and wanted to chime in. The good news is that I successfully Certed Level 3 a couple of weeks ago at Tripoli Mid-Ohio's new launch site. The rocket was my sratchbuilt, 7.5", all fiberglass Standard Arm on a M-1419. The only hickup was the Main chute finding the only tree for a mile and half. All was well and I was able to retreive it from the bratches.

Amoungst all the excitement I forgot to take some of the obligatory still pictures. And since Carl (our unofficial photagher) was not in attendance. I have included a picture of the rocket in my garage.

If you are in the area April 15th we are going to have our second launch with vendors, food and porta johns on site.

Look forward to talking with you all,

Todd K.

Welcome to TRF, nice looking rocket and congratulations on your Level 3!

Congrats on your L3 and I am glad you found us here.
Welcome aboard.:)

Congrats TK and welcome to TRF. Most of us come in here "wet behind the ears" as far as building experience (especially with the big end stuff) but, you seem to have started out from the top. I'll bet you'll have loads of good building tips from that perspective. ;)

...and might I just add that you have picked one of my all time favorite rockets to L3 on...Beautiful!!

Can't wait to start on my baby 5.5" Balckhawk version for my L3.

Welcome to the forum, where we talk rockets, and anything within reason rocket related...speaking of, you owe us some pics of that L3 bird in flight...so load it up and fly it again...well come on now, don't dally around...:D

GORGEOUS rocket Todd!

Congrats on the L3!

Now the question you've got to ask yourself is:

"What the heck am I gonna do now?!"

Or, instead of doing that, just say this:

"Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!"

:D :D :D

Jason

Thanks for the welcome and kind words,

I really did not have that post L3 letdown. Originally this rocket was to fly at Airfest last Labor day but because of the weather I was not able get it up (17 hour drive and I only burned one J-350). This spring I had actually assembled it 3 times but was forced to cancel due to winds, clouds etc. By the time I flew it I had worked out any bugs that may have been passed up in the excitement of the last 3 attempts.

The Standard Arm will fly again. Maybe this time I will remember to take more pictures. I originally was going to cert with an N-2000 but alas, could not get one so the M-1419 had to suffice.

My current project is a fiberglassed and stretched version of a Public Enemy Extreme. It is a 4" bird that is approx. 7' tall. I am going to do a test flight this weekend on a J-415 and then a big K next.

Todd K.

Originally posted by Todd Knight
I originally was going to cert with an N-2000 but alas, could not get one so the M-1419 had to suffice.

Oh, poor, poor, Todd...LOL...

Comments like that just make me laugh..."I couldn't get a N motor so I had to suffer through a M...pout" :p

ROTFLMAO :D :D :D

Jason

When I look back on the N-2000 cert theory....

It sounded cool when I started but I can fly 2 M's for the price of one N. Two rushes for the price of one. Besides a $300-$400 reload is a little easier to keep under the wife radar. She knows I spend alot of my rockets but, as long as I don't have to explain that $750, or whatever the N-2000's are going for, will be on just one flight I am probably safe.

or....

DWM looking for room to rent. Have 38mm, 54mm and 98mm hardware and willing to share with someone who will not look at my Visa bill to Magnum.

Todd K.

i just loaded up my CC at magnum...
:eek:

congrats on the L3!

at the level of powerplant you are using, isn't preparing your own propellant a LOT more economical? even with the small amounts i use, i am considering switching to making my own reloads.

https://www.space-rockets.com/motor.html

I have done alll the research and have a really good handle on everything.I bought Dr. McCreary's book and have read it and understand it. The thing holding me back is the up front costs to do it right. I am trying to convince some of the other local members to get involved to offset these costs but they are all pretty firmly entrenched in the commercial side.

EX is not cheaper on the whole if you are going it alone. You cannot just build a $100 M motor without cutting your teeth on several smaller motors, or buying a mixer, vacum pump, hardware, materials, test stand, etc.etc.

This is not to say I will not get into EX, I am slowly collecting the pieces I will need (I got a big KitchenAid mixer at a garage sale for $20) and I figure if I front some of the cost initially I can get some of the of locals interested.

Todd K.

Todd, glad to see you got your cert and found this site!

Man, we got to get together one of these days... i've got a vac pump and an I motors worth of propellant sitting in the basement...

Scott McNeely

EX is not cheaper on the whole if you are going it alone. You cannot just build a $100 M motor without cutting your teeth on several smaller motors, or buying a mixer, vacum pump, hardware, materials, test stand, etc.etc.[/B]

Scott, I see you tag as a Quarker. I assume I have met you down at their launches. I actually did my L2 cert down there 2 years ago. You need to make the trip up to our new field. Let me know about starting into some EX. Our field has a standing waiver so we can call it in with a 24 hour notice. I am sure it is a build it and they will come syndrome. If some of us get it started I am sure others will get involved.

Todd,
Are you going to be at the next TMO launch? Looks like we'll be having a two-day so I'll be there on Sunday.
Went to Ross's the other day and picked up parts to rebuild my VB Javelin (named it "Reintarnation") and an H210R. Man did THAT feel good! :cool:

They are talking about a fun fly on Sunday the 23rd. I have to work that day so it will probably 6 P.M. before I get there. I will be there for the next 2 day which will probably be in June if I am not mistaken but I have been out of the loop for a couple of days.

My wife is due with our second child around the 15th so that may cramp my style for a week or so :) .

After seeing that K Skidmark motor last week. I have got to get me one.

Hope to see you there.

I didn't know they were talking about flying this Sunday. Hmm...
Gary said he's planning a launch Memorial Day weekend, 29th & 30th. That's the Sunday I was figuring on. Would love to fly this weekend but I doubt it'll be possible.

You are right, I was thinking the wrong day. Initially we were talking about a fun fly on the Sunday of Memorial Day, but people are so excited about the field Gary must have expanded it to a regular launch.

I do have work that weekend so I will not be there until late. Redlines at dusk are cool.

You are right, I was thinking the wrong day. Initially we were talking about a fun fly on the Sunday of Memorial Day, but people are so excited about the field Gary must have expanded it to a regular launch.

I do have work that weekend so I will not be there until late. Redlines at dusk are cool.

I think Quark is launching this Sunday, if I'm not mistaken.

Loopy

Todd, I was at the TMO launch, we discussed video rocket components...

BTW, where exactly is westerville? i dont think ive ever heard of it before...

Scott McNeely

Hey Scott,

Now I can put a face with the name. Westerville is the NE suburb of Columbus. I will bring out the catalog with the Video equipment I was talking about to the next launch.

The new field really is exciting. I've been a BAR for about two years and had been really disappointed in the lack of available launch sites during the prime seasons. Having to try my luck during the winter was frustrating to say the least.

Speaking of Redlines, I mentioned getting an H210 and Ross is holding an H165 that's coming in this week. But I'd really like to get my hands on some 29mm White Lightning reloads. Any of you TMOers have an H128 or -180 you'd be willing to part with?

Back