Last Doolittle Raider Passes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His / their efforts did a lot to inspire a nation to fight harder.

I was fortunate, as a student in middle school, to meet one of the Raiders. He, and his crew were the ones that flew to Russia rather than China.

Sad fact... Over a quarter million Chinese people were killed by the Japanese in their efforts to recover the Raiders who crashed in China and survived.

Rest In Peace, and Thanks for your service, Col. Cole

To this day, it amazes me how we can survive such adversity. There is nothing to compare it to in today's society. We are pampered and protected to the point where we feel a small minor indiscretion is a huge inconvenience.

I have to thank our predecessors for getting through such dark times.

Words are just inadequate to describe the courage it took to fly that mission. They went up knowing that even if everything went well, they really had no place to land. That requires a level of determination I would describe as superhuman.

Jim

I had a job during High School and the shop's owner where I worked was one of Jimmy Doolittle's fishing buddies. Wouldn't you know it, one day that I wasn't working he stopped by the store to meet up with Vern to plan their next trip.

Back