Last day of school!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which ones are the stupidest?

• Dragon Tales

• Big, Big World

• Barney

• Boomba

• Blue's Clues

• Clifford

• Wiggles

• Thomas the Tank Engine

• Cyberchase

• Other

• Dragon Tales

• Big, Big World

• Barney

• Boomba

• Blue's Clues

• Clifford

• Wiggles

• Thomas the Tank Engine

• Cyberchase

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

BlueNinja

Reaction score
Ah, summer... The smell of flowers. The sight of birds. The fun of ROCKETS! :D :cool: Yep, got 3 months of summer all to myself. I may get a little bored, so I need some kit recommendations. I have been thinking about getting a tethys and paying someone to fly it for me, but I kinda shot down that idea. Anything else? I have been looking at the AT stuff, already have the G-Force, Mustang, Initiator, and Warthog. Also anything MPR from PML. Preferably, something that is not in the VHA category. Any other rec's for maunfacturers? Howbout LOC?

Blue

:cool:

hey Blue Ninja, I voted for LOC but can I put in a word for Binder, BSD, and Skunkworks?

if you want MPR then check out Binder Dragonfly. goes just fine on E9s and really rocks on F20s and just nuts on G40s!!! actually flies a little on D12s too :)

I have looked at BSD too, nice kits. Is it possible for me to edit the poll since i created it?

Give the PML MiniBBX a look. It does pretty good on a G80 and can be retrofitted with the both the CP3K dual deployment kit and with the terrier booster. You can grow a long way with it,

Gee...my last day of school was 30 some years ago!

sandman

I actually stoppped by PML yesterday to pick up a couple of things and while I was there I took a close look at the Tiny Pterodactyl.
It will fly on F, G and even H.
I think I might just get me one.

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
Ah, summer... The smell of flowers. The sight of birds. The fun of ROCKETS! :D :cool: Yep, got 3 months of summer all to myself. I may get a little bored, so I need some kit recommendations. I have been thinking about getting a tethys and paying someone to fly it for me, but I kinda shot down that idea. Anything else? I have been looking at the AT stuff, already have the G-Force, Mustang, Initiator, and Warthog. Also anything MPR from PML. Preferably, something that is not in the VHA category. Any other rec's for maunfacturers? Howbout LOC?

Blue

:cool:

I think one of the best all around deals is the LOC Vulcanite. EMRR shows lots of successful G flights, but also flights up through J. You can fly it pre-cert as well as L1 and L2. I finished mine and realized that's pretty much all I need (though not all I want) until L3 time. You can get one for $48.20 including shipping from Discount Hobby Center.

I sorted out what Im doing over the summer hol's today , 50% Scale AMRAAM , should keep me entertained :)
I'd say go for the BSD Horizon 4" , LOC Minie Magg , or the LOC IV , all very nice rockets to keep you entertained!
-Karl

I'll check those out, thanks.

Sandman, I still got several years to go until college!

well... i finish up school on june 11th, my dad just finished yeasterday tho!! he graduated with a doctorite in philosophy of religion... he just turned 40 this spring, and he's been 'in school' since he was 4 (or when ever he started pre-school)... so its perty exiting 4him!
personaly i'm not sure what all i'lll build over the summer.. i think i'll get around to a crayon, and finish up my PML amraam along with the *many* other projects that are needing to be finished up... but for right now i have allot of work to do just to finish school alright, so i don't have any time.. the 11th is approching!! rockets here i come:D

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
I have looked at BSD too, nice kits. Is it possible for me to edit the poll since i created it?
No but a moderator can. I added the other 3 recommendations for you. How's that?

I vote for the LOC Stovi, it's an interesting build. You can cut the outboard tubes to fit a central 29mm, or keep them as-is and make it a 7-engine cluster.:D
You'd have to drill out the centering ring for ejection gasses, unless you want to rely on only one motor for that.
I'm told someone over in Dayton has one that flies on 7 D12-3s, equivalent to like a G64. 7 E9s would be really fun...

Thanks Mark.

I have looked at the PML stuff that will fly on a F or G... They go pretty high on an F. Any other scale kit recommendations? I'm looking for something scale that can build really quick. I also like the look of the Loc stuff, maybe the 4-29ss. The Ultimate also looks sweet, and for what ya get it seems cheap.

Blue

BN150,

Oh my, you've left lots of other stuff off your list, too.

If I had 3 months to work on rockets, I'd get a copy of RocSim and start designing my own rockets. I'd use the simulation stuff in the new version to figure out some designs that I could fly on a small field with E's and F's but if I wanted to, I could really air out on a big field. Maybe something light weight with lots of drag. I'd simulate the heck out of the flights, too. In 3 months I'd have a whole fleet designed and start building a few of my own scratchbuilds.

I'd also learn how to do fiberglass layup and get lots of practice. I'd use either some smallish kits or my own designs (see above)no more than probably 2" diameter and do a number of them to get my 'glassing technique down all the way from layup to final finishing. One big challenge for us in summer, though, is the Kansas heat. The pot life of epoxy at 95F goes down considerably.

Also, you know if you build a bigger rocket, you won't have to pay anyone at Argonia to fly it.

Enjoy your summer, --Lance.

I voted PML. Get the Tiny Pterodactyl and the Amraam 2. I love my tiny 'dactyl! Flies great on F40's, and not too high, either. The Amraam 2 will also do nicely on G's and some higher thrusting F's.

I'd also recommend the AT Barracuda, and the AT Strong Arm. I just build these this past winter, and they are awesome! Strong Arm is absolutely perfect on an F52-5. Rocket tips over flat, then pops the nose and flies the laundry. Awesome! The Strong Arm also is a slightly more detailed build than most AT kits - you have to cut the shape for the strakes yourself from blanks they provide. Not too difficult, and something to be proud of when done.

Loopy

Originally posted by sandman
Gee...my last day of school was 30 some years ago!

I just finished secondary school today! :D

Although I have to keep going to lessons untill I've sat the exam.

Originally posted by llickteig1
BN150,

Oh my, you've left lots of other stuff off your list, too.

If I had 3 months to work on rockets, I'd get a copy of RocSim and start designing my own rockets. I'd use the simulation stuff in the new version to figure out some designs that I could fly on a small field with E's and F's but if I wanted to, I could really air out on a big field. Maybe something light weight with lots of drag. I'd simulate the heck out of the flights, too. In 3 months I'd have a whole fleet designed and start building a few of my own scratchbuilds.

Also, you know if you build a bigger rocket, you won't have to pay anyone at Argonia to fly it.

Enjoy your summer, --Lance.

Yea... I want Rocksim but its a tad expensive... Spacecad is cheaper so I may get that. I have been wanting to try glassing, and I will probably be ordering some supplies soon. Yep, you're right about hot KS summers- yesterday was only 95 and I felt like fainting! :eek:

By payment I meant for the cost of the motor.

Loopy-

I was just looking at the Strong ARM. Looks nice. Also I am considering the Astrobee D and the Mirage. Scale kits would be interesting. I posted earlier in another thread that AMRAAMs don't really appeal to me, but now that I found out about the A2, maybe I want one...

As far as Stovi vs Ultimate- I'd rather have 7x29mm than 7x24mm... more power.

the A2 is a very easy build... i think you could finish it up in jsut a few hours if you really wanted to (and if you used really fast cure epoxy). mine just needs some fillets and the rear CR to be flyable.. can't wait:) i've got an F50-7 and some G33-7s that i wan't to burn in it... lol
it also looks really sweet (imho):D

Ok, right now I'm leaning toward the A2 and maybe reconsidering the Tethys...

I voted PML, but LOC is also good.

My reccomended shopping list for you:

1 PML IO (great kit... I just finished mine. Looks great!)
1 LOC Forte (I also have one of those. Purty purty purty)
1 Mountainside Hobbies 4" V2 (if you want a big challange. Its a LOT of work, but very rewarding)
1 PML 1/4 scale Patriot, to satisfy your need for big HPR.:D Mines in the build stages right now. Very expensive, though.:(
2 LOC BT-1.52 tubes
1 LOC BT 2.14 tube
2 LOC 1.5" nose cones
1 LOC 2.14" nose cone
2 sheets plywood fin stock (and a jigsaw or soemthing to cut it with:D )
1 copy of Rocksim
a load of epoxy :D
A couple of MMT adaptors
A few mailing tubes, assorted sizes
A sheet of builders foam
a few packs of Estes tubing, all sizes (for motor mounts ETC)
and, to top it all off, a hundred thingys of spraypaint.

That should keep you busy all summer. You wont be busy on rockets, though. You will be busy trying to pay for it all!:D :D :D

My suggestion for an excellent sport bird would be the PML Callisto, with a 38mm mount. It can be flown from F's all the way up to J's if you feel good :) It's a good medium size that has a hefty feel to it. PML kits are hard to beat as far as durability when built and flown as the instructions call for. And, it will last until you get old enough to certify and could still handle that.

BN 150-

Try a Skunkworks 4" V2 or Bullpup or a Spike. These kits are reasonably easy builds for a rock solid rocket.

I also love BSD kits, lightweight and again solid construction while the instructions read like a "how to" book on HPR.

Ok... After looking at EMRR I found teh 3" Bull Puppy, looks like people have flown it on Gs before for low and slow flights. Any experience with this kit?

I am checking the PML website right now, hope it's not really expensive :eek:

Oh its expensive all right... Everything on that website is. Worth the $$, though.:)

Bah, its not that expensive now is it? 60 bucks doesn't sound that bad from some vendors. I'm gonna check it out right now. If anyone has experience with this kit please reply.

Blue

EDIT: Yep, it's cheap. I think I found my next project...

It gets around 1k on G according to the PML chart, which assumes a lot of things.

$60 isnt bad for a PML kit, but keep in mind that this is a 3" kit, and you can get a bigger (longer) 3" kit from LOC for $40, and its almost as good. Any PML kit is a good choice, though. If you can afford it, I would defiently go with that. :rolleyes:

So you have decided not to go with the Tethys?

Im thinking about thinking about getting a PML Tery Jr.:D Now DATS a rocket!:D But then of course I might just wanna scratch-build something similar... I dunno. I like scratch building... One heck of a lot cheaper...

Get yourself a copy of Rsim, and start designing some stuff... Its great fun, even if you dont end up building it. I can show you plans I made for the most complex 16" diameter rocket you ever saw if you like....:D ;) Well, actually I lost that day-dream when my computer crashed, but you get the idea... its a fun program.:D

Mailing tubes are my weapon-of-choice when it comes to scrath-building. MUCH less expensive, and just as durable. The 3" Staples mailing tube is the exact same thing as a LOC tube, only 2" longer. But then again, LOC tubes are cheap too... If you have the funds (I rarely do), you can use LOC parts or, if your RICH, then you can use PML pre-glassed tubes...:D ;)

Yea I don't want to get the tethys until i can get HP certed... Don't want to pay someone for the motor and have them do the prepping.

Hmmm... I think after tomorrow I will only have to mow the lawn 1 more time to get enough money for the BP... /evilgrin. But epoxy is another 30 bucks... :(

Oh, heres another thing to consider... I was thinking I needed another 3" rocket with a 38MM MMT in case my Forte had a problem, so I came up with this 3" sport bird.

Tube: $3
Nose cone: If you get it from LOC, I have no idea, if you make it yourself, just about free.
MMT: LOC, $5
Shockcord: LOC, i forget how much, but not too expensive.
Parachute: Mine, so its free. For me at least:D :D
Fins: Birch ply. eith of an inch. $2 (excluding the cost of the jigsaw:D)

Feel free to copy it. Its a dirt-cheap sport bird comparable to the LOC Forte. I could make you a set of fins for it if you want... I still have the fin pattern sitting here somewhere.... ;) Seriously though, if you want fins for your scratch-builds, feel free to ask.:)

Does that LOC MMT come with CRs?

Hmmm... what size motors do you put in it?

Nice and cheap, I'll try it. I still want a BP though!

Should be a nice project. I think we have a jigsaw here.

Youve got a jigsaw? Cool! Theyre a lot of fun... Dont chop any fingers off!

Itll probly take anything from an E15 to a J350.

LOC MMT tubes are just tubes. You gotta do the CRs with a jigsaw. Its really hard... You have to cut the outside of the CR, drill a small one on the inside of the CR, take part of the blade of the saw right off, stick it through the hole you drilled, then cut the ID of the CR, and then take the blade off AGAIN and get it off...

GOOD LUCK!:D ;) ;)

Back