laser decals: avoiding melting on the printer?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've read some conflicting and not-too-clear things about how to safely print laser decals without having them melt on the drum or whatever.

Is this something I should even be concerned about? Are there particular printer settings or specs that I should double-check before printing?

I sure don't want to mess up the work printer. :eek:

I heard the same thing, but I have printed 4 or 5 sheets on my Canon MX490 and have not had the slightest problem.

The Papilio clear I use say to use the standard paper setting and no more. I also use a white from a brand I can’t recall. I run that one ‘heavy’ or the toner doesn’t bond properly.

I've printed lots of decal sheets on my color laser and have never had a problem. The material I used did not seem at all like plastic, more like just shiny paper. The biggest issue is colors are not very dense.

Online it says fusers run up to 450C. You could test it with a heat gun if you know that it can get that hot.

Tony

I was gonna try the Sunnyscopa paper available on Amazon. Reviews seem OK, price is reasonable. Seem to be few if any reports of melting, but I see some notes that some printers run hotter than others. I guess i can check my office printer here and see what temperature is listed in the specs.

I've not been thrilled with my inkjet decals so I figured I'd give the laser decals a go.

I did have some of the black not bond properly in my color laser printer to a decal sheet. The semi-fused detritus then stuck partly to the drum. Eventually it went away. Can't remember the details (couple of years back) but I gave up on that as time was short and I had other things to do. Probably solvable if I feel like spending the time. Printer is a Dell.

Back