Largest/Smallest NAR Section

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceX76

Reaction score
I don't know if my curiosity is getting the better of me, but I have been wondering what the largest and smallest sections are???

I don’t think NAR keeps any such records of section size. At least my section has never reported our membership numbers.

Largest is kinda hard to pin down because the organization of sections is pretty loosely defined. Since all you need is two or five NAR members to have a section (two to start, five to maintain), once that threshold is met it doesn't really matter. Historically, I think DARS (Dallas, TX) has been the largest in the past couple of decades, with a membership usually (afaik) in the 200's. I would think one or two of the California clubs might be as large. NARHAMS in Maryland has usually got a pretty steady number of people. My own section, SoAR (Atlanta) has 111 as current in the database, with probably a couple dozen extras who claim us on their NAR membership but haven't paid our dues this year. And since we don't require NAR membership to be a SoAR member, for the most part, the low power flyers tend to be unaffiliated. I

The smallest sections are probably those NAR President John Hockheimer referred to recently as "private NAR Sections". Small groups of people that become a section primarily for the site insurance, and otherwise don't advertise for members. So by definition that would be the 2- and 5-member sections.

Back