largest scratch rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erags1092

Reaction score
hey im new to the rocket forum but have been building rockets for a while now. ive allways built my own rocket. but i havent really seen anything like the rockets i normally build. my rockets are 2 to 3 stage with multiple engines per stage. my normal size engines are between C and E. the rocket im currently working on has 17 engines total 7 ds for the first stage 7 for the second stage and 3 E 9s for the top stage. the rocket will be 3 in diameter the nosecone and fins are made of balsa wood. so i was just wondering if anybody had a rocket like mine and if so whos got the biggest? ill post some pics of previous rocket and the one im working on if ppl show a interst

lol nice but i was thinking like a whats the largest estes engine built rocket? i hope you know what u know what im trying to say lol

Someone built a cluster rocket with something like 54 black powder motors in the first stage. I don't have details, though, but perhaps someone else will chime in with them.

MarkII

One of my sick fantasies is to cluster enough MMX motors to qualify as an H powered flight.

At NARAM 47 I flew the Dudley Do-Right on a cluster of 4 D motors.

Not *that* much power but the beauty is that at 18.5 feet tall with a fin span of 2 feet it was a bona-fide MODEL rocket!

Total impulse, total fuel weight, total liftoff weight all within the definition of a "model rocket" :D

You can see pix of her here:
On the pad (3.5X upscale of a port-a-pad)
LIFT OFF!
Close up of the motors during boost
Recovery on a 16" chute (a little more chute than was needed for this rocket... LOL)

All in all I flew it 5 times that week. The last flight was HPR in that I had CHAD staged 4 D motors to it. I had to find a Cert Level 1 volunteer to fly it for me... :)

Well, here are the first 2 stages of my Commanche 3 upscale....

:y:

Photo0099.jpg

hey im new to the rocket forum but have been building rockets for a while now. ive allways built my own rocket. but i havent really seen anything like the rockets i normally build. my rockets are 2 to 3 stage with multiple engines per stage. my normal size engines are between C and E. the rocket im currently working on has 17 engines total 7 ds for the first stage 7 for the second stage and 3 E 9s for the top stage. the rocket will be 3 in diameter the nosecone and fins are made of balsa wood. so i was just wondering if anybody had a rocket like mine and if so whos got the biggest? ill post some pics of previous rocket and the one im working on if ppl show a interst

You know that seven D motors technically requires a level 1 certification to launch due to propellent weight?
https://www.doug79.com/stuff/HPR_metric9c.pdf

At NARAM 47 I flew the Dudley Do-Right on a cluster of 4 D motors.
Foam cup rockets exhibit the ideal combination of "this is cool," "why didn't I think of it?" and "wait a minute, this is more than a little bit ridiculous." ;)

In other words, they come pretty darned close to embodying the perfect model rocket! :D

MarkII

Back