Large SR-71

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llobdelljr

Reaction score
Anyone here ever built a large SR-71, say 8 feet long? With 38-54mm motor mounts inside the airplane engines. Is it possible? Would it glide or need a parachute?
Thanks! Larry

Anyone here ever built a large SR-71, say 8 feet long? With 38-54mm motor mounts inside the airplane engines. Is it possible? Would it glide or need a parachute?
Thanks! Larry

depends on how heavy you build it.

I've done a 6' long YF-12 version, 32 oz rtf using H-13 29mm longburn motor in the center, flies over 1200' and glides very well. IMHO it would have to be much larger to handle the weight of 54 mounts in the engine nacelles, you have a lot of tail weight to counter for CG, and you run a high risk of assymetric ignition with quite a large spacing off center. I would say a single 38 or 54 in the center using lightweight fiberglass is a much better plan.

Frank

Thanks! Larry

What is the model made of? Is it plastic or foam? I think I saw a weight and it was very light. The number of parts is around 700. That would take some effort to build and I wonder how flight worthy it would be.
I've never seen one finished and flown, ever. Just the photos on the website, one guy started one on youtube but then never finished.
It looks like the manufacturer has built an unfinished display model, but has anyone else? I think some large flying R/C SR-71 model planes have been built, but they have been built from scratch with large parts, not as 3D puzzles.

It is cnc cut foam from what I remember.

What is the model made of? Is it plastic or foam? I think I saw a weight and it was very light. The number of parts is around 700. That would take some effort to build and I wonder how flight worthy it would be.

It looks like the manufacturer has built an unfinished display model, but has anyone else? I think some large flying R/C SR-71 model planes have been built, but they have been built from scratch with large parts, not as 3D puzzles.

It is cnc cut foam from what I remember.
Yep. Thin CNC foam cross sections, each consisting of many parts. IMO, it would be a huge job to get it together, straight and true. Then It has to be carefully sanded all over to blend the cross sections together, another large job. Hundreds of glue joints that have to be sanded so that the joint does not show. Then it needs some sort of finish, light glass or similar.

I have kept an eye on the Aerotetris projects over in RCG and very few ever get finished and reported on.

Yep. Thin CNC foam cross sections, each consisting of many parts. IMO, it would be a huge job to get it together, straight and true. Then It has to be carefully sanded all over to blend the cross sections together, another large job. Hundreds of glue joints that have to be sanded so that the joint does not show. Then it needs some sort of finish, light glass or similar.

I have kept an eye on the Aerotetris projects over in RCG and very few ever get finished and reported on.

I would love this project as a challenge but I have zero experience flying RC let alone a rocket glider.

I would love this project as a challenge but I have zero experience flying RC let alone a rocket glider.

Definitely not a good first choice....:)

Back in th 1990s, I chased after a Yellow Aircraft composite SR-71, hoping to convert to a mild K motor. Model is 1 /12 scale, which makes it 107" long.

About the time I started looking, they were no longer available, supposedly due to the molds being damaged.

i recently missed a YA kit that came up on an auction site, not Ebay, where it went for just 145 bucks....sigh.

I do have access to a mold for a composite 1/20 scale SR-7, which make a model that is 64" long.

That project is under consideration with a partner at this time.....:)

Latest posts

Back