Large Space Transporter America R/C rocket glider version for H motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Along with my upscale 1/12 scale Pegasus XL I'm making, I decided to also upscale my Space Transporter America as it uses a similar construction, tubing and cone as the pegasus and I could buy parts at the same time. I had not remembered this rocket as a kid and first saw it at the 2018 naram meet in one of the sport/fantasy scale categories and I really liked the design and markings. I thought if I could upscale the wing it would make a good flying glider and so I did a 2.6" version that was 40" long and it flew very well and actually looked better proportioned with the upscaled wing. This version will be 60" long, 35" wingspan, bt-101(4") diameter and hopefully be about 31.8 ounces ready to fly using a 29mm H-motor. I used 3mm spars in all the tail surfaces and twin spars in the wing with 9mm depron as the wing/tail material and 6mm as the canard. Independent tail surfaces for roll and pitch. Here is the photo of the flight surfaces as well as the original 2.6" version and a snapshot of the mass balancing simulation I built with approximate surfaces that were adequate for balance/weight.

IMG_20211112_094157904_2.jpgCapture.JPG

Just finished, 60 in Long, 36-in wingspan and weighs 24.4 oz as shown, with an h13 rocket motor a little bit under 32 oz ready to fly. Thanks again to sticker shock for help with the markings and Scott binder for the printed nose cone.

As Jonathan E said in Rollerball, "Oh, he's a big honker".

Back