large solid-fuel motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderburner

Reaction score
A new guy named Dutch recently posted a question here on TRF and pretty much got flamed, shot down, crucified, and generally disemboweled. Welcome to TRF, Dutch!

If you have been monitoring our little party here over recent months you will probably already understand our concerns. If not, let me simply say that we have had some real zingers posted in here, apparently from genuine terrorist-type kooks, so we are just a bit sensitive here on TRF.

All the same, I apologize for my hair-trigger response. That was a heck of a way to welcome someone looking for help.

Dutch, you wanted to know:
---------------------------------------------
The rocket design is a test bed for a new active guidance system I have designed and bench tested. The reason for high thrust long burning motors is the need to tax the system to the maximum, for a long enough period to obtain sufficient data. Further, more than one test of the system is required during flight, since there are many subsidiary and auxillary stages within the guidance computer itself.
---------------------------------------------

Well, in this context, let me answer your question by pointing out that most missile projects (and they are guided, by definition of 'missile') fly many hundreds and even thousands of hours in flight tests before the motors are ever lit. Missile guidance systems are tested using 'captive carry' test flights, where the missile is carried on an aircraft without launching it. Enough of the missile guidance, electonics, power supply, etc, are installed to be able to complete these tests. It is not necessary at this point to have a motor installed, or any other components. The missile is wired into the parent aircraft where data is recorded. Sensors can be realistically tested in flight against various signature sources. Computer performance can be fully monitored and recorded. Flight control commands to steering actuators can be recorded for later comparison. And if the test is a failure, you get back the entire intact set of electronics for troubleshooting and repairs.

You could accomplish the same thing (at least in two dimensions) using your car. Then maybe take it up a step and find a friend with a pilot's license and a light aircraft? You can test electronics without using rocket motors.

Stands up and applauds the Burner of the Powder persuasion...

Excellent post and detail Powder..8)

Back