3D Printing Large Format Printers?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Kemker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Right now, I'm loving my Ender 3 Pro. However, I'm already chafing a bit at the size limitations. What recommendations do you kind folks have for larger format 3D printers?

My CR10S-S5 has worked pretty well. The main mod is now an option from Creality - diagonal bracing.
I also added a timing belt to keep the dual Z in synch. That’s probably more important than the cross brace.
Auto bed leveling really helps at the bigger bed size.

I have enjoyed my CR-10V2 from TinyMachines 3D (Creality dealer) so far my tallest piece was a InterceptorE nosecone that was about an inch short of the max Z height.

I have a Anycubic predator, Chiron, and cr10s pro. The predator is fantastic.

I have a Anycubic predator, Chiron, and cr10s pro. The predator is fantastic.
Went to the Anycubic website. For the price of the Ender 3 Pro and the accessories I'm adding (filament runout sensor, EZABL) I could have bought a larger printer (Anycubic Chiron) for about the same money. /sigh

Lessons learned.

Anyways, the Predator is a bit intimidating for me, at this time. Not real sure how to handle a Delta. Interesting idea and I might eventually go there, but I think the Chiron is calling my name. LOL.

Went to the Anycubic website. For the price of the Ender 3 Pro and the accessories I'm adding (filament runout sensor, EZABL) I could have bought a larger printer (Anycubic Chiron) for about the same money. /sigh

Lessons learned.

Anyways, the Predator is a bit intimidating for me, at this time. Not real sure how to handle a Delta. Interesting idea and I might eventually go there, but I think the Chiron is calling my name. LOL.

And get a much better printer.

I have the CR10-s4. also love it, cross brace print mod is a necessity. I have an ender 3 pro and lulzbot taz 6. both good machines

What size are you actually looking for and what budget? "Large Format" conjures visions of industrial machines. Knowing the requirements and the mission will really help to narrow the field down.

My only recommendation is to consider avoiding bed-slinger type models if you're wanting to go taller than about 300mm, based on a little bit of experience on my Prusa and engineering judgement. The bed slingers may suffer some quality issues at the top of tall prints unless you're printing really slowly because inertia of the moving bed and stiffness of the frame are working against you. Those of you with taller bed slingers can certainly weigh in here with direct experience on how to print tall with those.

Deltas look like a good option for a kit machine if you want tall. There are some real monsters out there (look up any thread by @alexzogh).

I'm currently enamored with the Core XY motion systems, and I'm building a Voron 300^3 machine. It's not a kit so you have to source the parts yourself, but is designed to scale up to 350^3 within the design specs, or you can scale it to a size that suits you if you. Taller is probably ok up to 500mm, but they strongly advise not going bigger than 350mm on the X/Y because belt lengths in the CoreXY design get really long - quality and speed will suffer, and Voron is all about speed and quality so they generally advise against it.

RailCore has a kit available in 300x300x600. These have a lot of optional shiny milled aluminum parts that really look sharp, but you'll need to bring a bigger wallet.

I would say that if you have an Ender, go with a larger Creality machine as operation will be very similar. I have a highly modified Ender 3 Pro that performs excellently, prints better than a Prusa MK3. I added a 32 bit skr v3 board, an EZRStruder, and changed out the lead screw to a single start instead of the four start, increases z-axis resolution by a factor of 4. I bought a Hugemongous T-Rex printer, and wish I hadn't, it has been a major pain in the buttocks. If I can't figure it out, I will modify it...(It is direct extrude, which I am finding out is highly prone to nozzle clogs and because of the extruder steppers also whizzing around the build platform, you get extreme ghosting and ringing.... I am now saving up for a large delta printer like the Artemis.

I would say it depends. Both are decent printer manufacturers that will require some tinkering. If you want a proven track record, you can go with either. Creality is what you familiar with, so that could be a plus. If you want auto-leveling that works, go with anycubic. AnyCubic has a superior sensor built in and limited tinkering will be required.

I have 3 large scale printers and will a fourth when Prusa releases the XL this fall. Pick one that you budget matches.

I have a Formbot Raptor. There are plenty of things that I don't like about it, but overall it prints well and has been reliable so far.

What size are you actually looking for and what budget? "Large Format" conjures visions of industrial machines. Knowing the requirements and the mission will really help to narrow the field down.

My only recommendation is to consider avoiding bed-slinger type models if you're wanting to go taller than about 300mm, based on a little bit of experience on my Prusa and engineering judgement. The bed slingers may suffer some quality issues at the top of tall prints unless you're printing really slowly because inertia of the moving bed and stiffness of the frame are working against you. Those of you with taller bed slingers can certainly weigh in here with direct experience on how to print tall with those.

Deltas look like a good option for a kit machine if you want tall. There are some real monsters out there (look up any thread by @alexzogh).

I'm currently enamored with the Core XY motion systems, and I'm building a Voron 300^3 machine. It's not a kit so you have to source the parts yourself, but is designed to scale up to 350^3 within the design specs, or you can scale it to a size that suits you if you. Taller is probably ok up to 500mm, but they strongly advise not going bigger than 350mm on the X/Y because belt lengths in the CoreXY design get really long - quality and speed will suffer, and Voron is all about speed and quality so they generally advise against it.

RailCore has a kit available in 300x300x600. These have a lot of optional shiny milled aluminum parts that really look sharp, but you'll need to bring a bigger wallet.
Just like an Aggie to talk engineering. [grin]

I'm looking for something like the Anycubic Chiron. 450mm Z height, 400mm X, 400mm Y. I have no problems with slowing it down for taller prints. I'm not quite ready to build one from scratch, though that might change as time goes by.

Gig 'em. 👍

I don't have any 'horns working for me yet. I do have a bunch of Kansas and Missouri and Oklahoma grads though.

I have a Fusion3 306. it's a measured 12" x 12" 12" print volume. it is our go-to printer at work now. their current offering is their 400 series printer, with a complete enclosed build volume. These are considered entry level / light use industrial type machines. Ours was in the $4K range, so out of price for the average user..

There was another that we were looking at, as was about 32" x 32" x 18" or something lose to that.. But don't remember eh name right off hand.

I know that this isn't a large format printer but what do you think? Creality is coming out with the Upgraded Ender-3 V2 3D Printer. Intro price of $270. I looks to have some nice upgraded features.

https://www.creality3d.shop/products/creality3d-upgraded-ender-3-v2-3d-printer
Looks interesting. Especially the "Craborundum glass platform." 🤣

Print area is the same as what I have, so doesn't really get me anything extra compared to what I already have. My E3Pro came with a glass bed.

I've been pretty happy with my CR-10s Pro V1 after sorting the bed leveling sensor issues, V2 takes care of this with a BL Touch. Never had any problems printing tall items and I've pushed the limit a few times....

IMG_3735.jpg

The Ender 5 Plus looks like a good stable platform at around $579 with 350x350x400 build area. Should share some similarities with your Ender 3 pro. I have been tempted myself by either that or the Anycubic Predator as my next printer.

I've been pretty happy with my CR-10s Pro V1 after sorting the bed leveling sensor issues, V2 takes care of this with a BL Touch. Never had any problems printing tall items and I've pushed the limit a few times....

View attachment 421911

The Ender 5 Plus looks like a good stable platform at around $579 with 350x350x400 build area. Should share some similarities with your Ender 3 pro. I have been tempted myself by either that or the Anycubic Predator as my next printer.

The problem with V1 and many of the Crealities is the type of Pinda Probe they used. So far, only Prusa appears to have perfected that item in mas numbers.

Well, they are more for industrial prototyping than hobby rockets..

some people have the $40K bass boat, or hand made bamboo fly rods, or the [barely legal] '68 Chevelle... (or even 2 or 3 Wildman Extremes!) "expensive" is what the other guy says!

Back