Large electric motors, batteries and vehicles

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone wants me to react to post above, let me know what you’d like to see.

What about tire pollution (which will increase greatly with heavier EV's)? Current ICE's have very clean emissions.

Almost 2,000 times more particle pollution is produced by tyre wear than is pumped out of the exhausts of modern cars, tests have shown.

Cleaner air requires less tires -> Less tires requires less cars -> Less cars requires less people (to maintain current US life styles)

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...e-particle-pollution-than-exhausts-tests-show

Last edited:
What about tire pollution (which will increase greatly with heavier EV's)? Current ICE's have very clean emissions.
Now you’re just trolling me personally again.

If you wish to recommend a limit for vehicle weight, there are plenty of other targets, and I’m not the one to talk to.

If you wish to compare emissions from heavy vehicles tires with emissions from other sources, you or I can start a thread on emissions.

I’ve said many times this thread is about progress of batteries and EVs (and electric motors).

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡

https://news.eneco.com/enecos-largest-battery-will-see-the-light-of-day-in-2024/
Maybe I’ll start a thread where haters can explain their aversion to EVs, because I really don’t get it.

Last edited:
Now you’re just trolling me personally again.
I don't think so. You made a post which claims EV's are needed to clean the air. That has nothing to do with technical progress of battery tech. I just posted a counter article which says EVs will have negligible effect on air quality in the particulate area. You widened the scope of this thread not I.

1686228076763.png

I don't think so. You made a post which claims EV's are needed to clean the air. That has nothing to do with technical progress of battery tech. I just posted a counter article which says EVs will have negligible effect on air quality in the particulate area. You widened the scope of this thread not I.

View attachment 585032
I posted a report from the Lung Association. It doesn’t take a report to figure out that local air quality improves as emissions are reduced. Battery progress allows that. People, whether clients or not, want good air to breath. It goes without saying. Gotta go now. Probly be back later.

View attachment 585032
Why on earth do you follow around these threads trolling them one after the other? It's exhausting and irksome.

What's your real purpose in life?

Do you have nothing of value to contribute beyond throwing rocks at other's people's ideas?

From the same article you cited:
"Dr James Tate, at the University of Leeds’ Institute for Transport Studies in the UK, said the tyre test results were credible. “But it is very important to note that BEVs are becoming lighter very fast,” he said. “By 2024-25 we expect BEVs and [fossil-fuelled] city cars will have comparable weights."

Also:
" Emissions Analytics has now determined the chemicals present in 250 different types of tyres, which are usually made from synthetic rubber, derived from crude oil. "

So making synthetic rubber from a less toxic source than crude oil would be a solution right?

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna36040076
Thanks John, for pointing out a problem that I never knew existed
This makes it clear that we should all be switching to greener tires and vehicles and reducing our dependence on crude oil and products made from it.

Last edited:

Almost 2,000 times more particle pollution is produced by tyre wear than is pumped out of the exhausts of modern cars, tests have shown.

Cleaner air requires less tires -> Less tires requires less cars -> Less cars requires less people (to maintain current US life styles)

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...e-particle-pollution-than-exhausts-tests-show
Since you're so against tire pollution, you're naturally in favor of massive expansion of passenger/commuter rail, right?

Oh wait, you're against that too. So much for ideological consistency, except for a love of FUD.

Since you're so against tire pollution, you're naturally in favor of massive expansion of passenger/commuter rail, right?

Oh wait, you're against that too. So much for ideological consistency, except for a love of FUD.
I am sorry for posting additional information that may upset people. I will refrain from posting in this thread again. I apologize, sincerely.

One last post before I officially retire from this thread.

No I was simply pointing out some study that suggests that eliminating exhaust emissions will have a negligible effect on air quality.

I am sorry for posting additional information that may upset people. I will refrain from posting in this thread again. I apologize, sincerely.
Apology accepted.
And no, I don't think anyone was upset.
More like motivated to find out the REAL facts.
For that, thank you.

No I was simply pointing out some study that suggests that eliminating exhaust emissions will have a negligible effect on air quality.
The study refers to particulate emissions, not greenhouse gas emissions.
Which is why the world is switching to EVs.
Except for you, of course.

The study refers to particulate emissions, not greenhouse gas emissions.
Which is why the world is switching to EVs.
Except for you, of course.
Indulge me in one final post (I promise).

CO2 emissions do not affect lung health as far as I know which was the subject of the post I responded to. I would be happy to be educated on any studies where CO2 (which the lung generated in every exhale) harms the respiratory system.

See ya.

If I believed that you were sharing information in good faith, I'd come down a lot less hard. However, it's clear that you were more interested in throwing sand in the figurative eyes of electrification than in actual solutions.

CO2 emissions do not affect lung health as far as I know which was the subject of the post I responded to. I would be happy to be educated on any studies where CO2 (which the lung generated in every exhale) harms the respiratory system.
The study you cited refers to particulate emissions from tires as compared to car exhausts, and the toxicity of those particulates. "Air quality" includes not only the health effects on the population but the environmental effects on the planet. No one said there are health impacts from CO2. But there clearly are environmental impacts from productions of greenhouse gases, of which CO2 is only one.
The study does not conclude that eliminating exhaust emissions will have a negligible impact on air quality. It does conclude that tire dust output is considerably more than particulate exhaust output in newer cars, thanks to regulations restricting the amount of emissions in newer cars. Why do you think we drive around with catalytic converters in every car now?
Don't skew the conclusions, interpret them objectively.

Indulge me in one final post (I promise).

I'm not going to go too deep in posting studies, but again you're conflating lung health and climate change. Nobody has ever claimed that CO2 causes lung damage. So stop pretending that anyone did.

On top of that, the study that you're discounting is from the American Lung Association. I have just a wee bit more confidence that the ALA knows more about health effects of pollution than Some Dude On The Internet. That's exactly why I come down on you so hard. You pretend that you're just raising questions and posting additional information, but Every. Single. Time. it's negative information about electrification, and about half the time it's poorly researched or contradicts what actual experts say.

But just so we're clear, major sources of lung damage from air pollution are:
Particulates (especially very small particulates)
NOx (precursor to ozone/smog)

Renewables and electrification of transportation would substantially reduce NOx pollution and therefore smog. Even if PM is relatively unchanged, the reduction in NOx is an overall respiratory health benefit.

News showed the aftermath of the fire.
The fire department got there quickly and started putting water on the batteries, (company may do at first ) appears they didn’t cook off. Only the cabs were burned.

Track for Portland Formula E race later today:

Back