Large electric motors, batteries and vehicles

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
A camping trailer with a battery, but they totally confuse watts with watt hours, so I'm not sure what a buyer would be getting. Congrats to the engineers for making what looks like a cool product, but it's sad that the salespeople can't clearly say what they're trying to sell.

https://campworksco.com
1663072795362.png
Looks like they got it right under specs, at least. So appears they offer 5.5kWh and 11kWh battery options.

View attachment 537470
Looks like they got it right under specs, at least. So appears they offer 5.5kWh and 11kWh battery options.
And then it goes to the sales team who messes it up, confuses the public, and the public comes back saying they don't like EVs because of this and that but really because they're confused. Anyway. Got to use my coffee to think about other stuff right now.

A camping trailer with a battery, but they totally confuse watts with watt hours, so I'm not sure what a buyer would be getting. Congrats to the engineers for making what looks like a cool product, but it's sad that the salespeople can't clearly say what they're trying to sell.

https://campworksco.com
Yeah, there sure is some confusion about watts and watt-hours on that site. They also left off (or at least I can't find it) a critical spec for such a thing - what does it weigh?

I'm on the cusp of ordering a 2023 Ford Maverick hybrid (as soon as they'll take orders) and have been actively internet shopping trailers it could pull, and what the thing weighs is a critical bit of information for such a search.

The price makes me swallow hard, too, though I really want to know what "heat pump" system they are using.

Yeah, there sure is some confusion about watts and watt-hours on that site. They also left off (or at least I can't find it) a critical spec for such a thing - what does it weigh?
They don't say if the trailer hauls itself do they? Another company is making a trailer that hauls itself to reduce load on towing car. In that case, weight doesn't matter very much.

I'm not looking for a trailer, I just like posting things I haven't seen before, assuming many others haven't either.

They don't say if the trailer hauls itself do they? Another company is making a trailer that hauls itself to reduce load on towing car. In that case, weight doesn't matter very much.

I'm not looking for a trailer, I just like posting things I haven't seen before, assuming many others haven't either.
The Campworks NS-1 is not self-propelled, no. It just is all electric - no propane system for the things normally done that way in RVs (heat, cooking, water heating). I've seen pop up ads for the self-propelled one. It's huge relative to what I'm looking for....and probably falls in the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" price category, based on the little tidbits I've seen....

Weight matters anyway....refer to our discussion much earlier about sizing friction brakes on a vehicle that has regenerative braking.

By "weight doesn't matter", I mean an EV battery can haul itself, no matter what its weight is.

A salesman tried to sell me an EV with a small battery by telling me a bigger battery didn't have better range because it weighed more. I just went 🤨 and left.

Battery size and vehicle weight surely matter for braking.

I don't know if the batteries or motors, individually, qualify for the "large" descriptor for this thread, but RocketLab just launched another Electron, which has a 37kW motor driving each propellant pump, and lithium polymer batteries to power all of that....two of which are dropped from the second stage while it's still firing — the so called "hot swap".

It was cool when they first started doing this and now, with their 30th launch, it's still cool.....

I don't know if the batteries or motors, individually, qualify for the "large" descriptor for this thread, but RocketLab just launched another Electron, which has a 37kW motors driving each propellant pump, and lithium polymer batteries to power all of that....two of which are dropped from the second stage while it's still firing — the so called "hot swap".

It was cool when they first started doing this and now, with their 30th launch, it's still cool.....
Not likely to attract politicians, so it works for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutherford_(rocket_engine)

Last edited:
One of our clients is considering putting a system like this into a new boat instead of a diesel generator. They claim 13000-15000 charging cycles lifetime. The individual packs are 6.6 kWh to 8.8 kWh, and are designed to be packed into a string. One intriguing aspect of the design is that the cells can be disassembled. When you're replacing the cells, you basically just take out the electrolyte packs and drop in new ones. That purportedly reduces the waste stream by ~75%.

They're also predesigned into containers if that suits your needs. A 40' container tops out at 6500 kWh if it's all battery cells, or 5400 kWh if you have an AC inverter in the box too.

https://shift-cleanenergy.com/brochure/

The Town of Grand Marais, MN, which is on the shore of Lake Superior and a gateway to the eastern part of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area is looking at using EV garbage trucks. I grew up in Duluth, MN which is about 110 miles from Grand Marais. And I've spent many a day in the BWCA and a fair amount of time in Grand Marais, which a cool little town. If you are ever up that way check it out.

https://www.kbjr6.com/2022/09/20/co...vironmentally-friendly-waste-management-plan/

https://goo.gl/maps/1GYPiEZVWhF1xUUr5

Last edited:
Friday afternoon my friend Dave who bought the Bolt EUV stopped by on his way to Minneapolis to visit his kids. We had installed a 240 vac NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage so he could charge here. It took about 3 hours to top it off.

He said he'd be stopping at a Level 3 charging place just outside the Twin Cities. So that got me into wondering about the procedure. I ran across this video which pretty well explains the process. The other thing I did this morning was look for charging station maps and discovered that each company has a map for their network. Is there a website that shows all charging stations?

Is there a website that shows all charging stations?
I doubt one website has them all. But I'm not the right person to answer, because I mostly charge at work daily, and use gasoline on the few road trips I make (my car is a PHEV). On weekends, I discover new stations for fun by looking at different maps from different Apps.

⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡

https://evannex.com/blogs/news/the-tesla-model-y-earned-europe-s-highest-safety-score-in-history
From the article:

"In response to the news, Tesla highlighted its mid-cabin airbags, its casting techniques, which create a single underbody piece, and its improved battery packs. The battery pack, according to Tesla, “provides immense crash strength to the safety cell, helping to maintain compartment integrity.”"

⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡

Porsche set to go public. Proceeds to be invested in VW electrification.

Last edited:
Friday afternoon my friend Dave who bought the Bolt EUV stopped by on his way to Minneapolis to visit his kids. We had installed a 240 vac NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage so he could charge here. It took about 3 hours to top it off.

He said he'd be stopping at a Level 3 charging place just outside the Twin Cities. So that got me into wondering about the procedure. I ran across this video which pretty well explains the process. The other thing I did this morning was look for charging station maps and discovered that each company has a map for their network. Is there a website that shows all charging stations?

PlugShare is pretty solid. I typically use ABRP to find routes and tweak it/verify charger condition with PlugShare.

https://www.plugshare.com/
https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

@KC3KNM beat me to it. I the PlugShare app primarily. You tell it what your vehicle is and then it filters for compatible stations. For example I don't see any Tesla chargers or any level 3s that don't have a CHAdeMO output, since that's the standard I need for level 3. I do have the apps (and in some cases accounts and cards in my wallet or on my keychain) for several of the networks that are active in my area, but seldom use their web sites or apps to locate chargers.

I need to check out A Better Route Planner, but since road tripping isn't really a thing with a 2016 Soul EV, I've not done so yet.

The longer batteries can last, the better it is for everyone. We're starting to have 10 year old cars now. The 15-year mark will also be interesting.
My EV is over seven years old now and still has 100% of its rated battery capacity even after spending years in Florida's heat. I am not sure if that's typical for older EV's, but suspect that it is.

Back