Large electric motors, batteries and vehicles

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Hydrovolt is Europe’s largest electric vehicle battery recycling plant, capable of processing approximately 12,000 tons of battery packs per year (around 25,000 EV batteries). With the plant now online, a sustainable solution for handling Norway’s entire volume of electric vehicle batteries being retired from the market, or reaching end-of-life, is now available."

"Black mass is the most valuable fraction we recover – a powder containing metals of nickel, manganese, cobalt and lithium. Recycling black mass into highly purified, battery-grade material requires a hydrometallurgical treatment."

https://hydrovolt.com
cathode-particles-black-mass-lithium-ion-battery.jpg

⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡

Gogoro, the network of swappable battery stations for scooters in Taipei, is expanding to Israel.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/gogoro-to-launch-in-israel-this-summer-301544669.html

Last edited:
I have a harder time forgiving the Japanese manufacturers, who in addition to lagging on electrification have also lobbied against it (looking at you Toyota). This was interesting: https://electrek.co/2022/05/11/japa...-of-jobs-by-stalling-on-electric-cars-report/.
I would REALLY like to be able to buy a plug in hybrid that has more range. I currently have an 5 year old Prius. Having more than 20-25 miles electric only range would be really handy. Currently with the limited range, the Toyota Prime would work okay for around town (I do 10-20 miles around town a day); plugging it in between errands and taking my son to school would not be a big deal. Making longer trips would require a bigger battery. But its hard to justify right now with the price difference between a regular Prius and the Prime.

I REALLY like the idea of being able to go electric when I want to, but have an gas engine to extend my range - it isn't always practical or time-convienient to stop every now and then and wait to charge the car up. Being totally dependent on finding somewhere to charge does not make me really happy. Whereas if I can go either propulsion method and either fuel up with gasoline or charge up if convienient would be the best of both worlds.

I seriously don't see how the electric grid is going to be able to supply the electricity to charge millions of EVs, particularly when the current admin is trying to shove them down everyone's throat, infrastructure-consequences be damned (ideology and politics trumping reality).

I seriously don't see how the electric grid is going to be able to supply the electricity to charge millions of EVs, particularly when the current admin is trying to shove them down everyone's throat, infrastructure-consequences be damned (ideology and politics trumping reality).
1) The grid will evolve. We've got a long way to go before EVs would cause a problem for the existing grid.
2) A bit of context for "the current admin is trying to shove them down everyone's throat": our government is not moving particularly quickly in this area compared to many others. Either way, we have no choice. We must decarbonize. Cars in general are pretty bad with respect to carbon footprint, but as long as we're going to have them (and in the US that's not changing any time soon) they have to move off fossil fuels, and the quicker the better.
3) The percentage of EVs among all car purchases is still very small, and has a looong ramp ahead.
4) EVs are commonly charged at night, when there is frequently a surplus of electricity available (region-dependent)
5) Large numbers of EVs and widely-implemented V2G (I don't know the timeframe but it's coming), will greatly *help* the grid.

- it isn't always practical or time-convienient to stop every now and then and wait to charge the car up. Being totally dependent on finding somewhere to charge does not make me really happy...

I have a plug-in hybrid but finding a place to stop and wait is never a problem. I never really "have" to, only on weekends, if I want to avoid paying for gasoline. Usually, the overnight charge (25 miles) is enough for a typical day. On the week end, I have lunch between errands where there's a charging station. But if I was in a hurry or if that wasn't practical for some reason (not normally on the weekend), I'd just run on gas.

What I realized since driving this car, is that by charging each night, I don't really need public stations. They're only for road trips. In 10 months of ownership, overnight charging has always been enough. Whatever waiting time I choose to have I occupy by eating, doing errands, or browsing the web for work or fun.

⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡

Sodium-based batteries (vs lithium) are more advanced than I thought:

“The new facility, called ‘Ferrum’, will have the annual capacity to produce 2000 metric tonnes of Altris’ ground-breaking cathode material Fennac – enabling 1GWh of sustainable sodium-ion batteries to enter the market each year.”

https://www.altris.se/altris-to-manufacture-ground-breaking-cathode-material-in-sandviken-sweden/

Last edited:
You just made that word up!;)
Well, it's in quotation marks, so not me, but yeah. I liked the rest of the paragraph. I assume the "hydrometallurgical treatment" is what the plant does that no one else (or few) can.

Here's what a recent charging station can look like. I doubt the solar panels can provide all the required energy, but if they last long enough, they should help a little and pay for themselves.

"A highly visible solar canopy helps EV drivers to locate the site and stay dry while charging."

fastned-ladestation-charging-station-2022-01-min.jpg

https://fastnedcharging.com/hq/scotlands-biggest-ultra-rapid-charging-station-opens-in-hamilton/
I'm concerned about the apparent lack of stores nearby. I don't mind stopping to charge, but I at least want a coffee.

Edit: Well, of course, those also exist.

tesla-supercharger-10-scaled.jpg

Last edited:
"A highly visible solar canopy helps EV drivers to locate the site and stay dry while charging."

If it’s protecting you from the rain not much power is produced.

Looks like 62 chargers. Going to need a few more panels.

Last edited:
Here's what a recent charging station can look like. I doubt the solar panels can provide all the required energy, but if they last long enough, they should help a little and pay for themselves.

View attachment 519172

https://fastnedcharging.com/hq/scotlands-biggest-ultra-rapid-charging-station-opens-in-hamilton/
I'm concerned about the apparent lack of stores nearby. I don't mind stopping to charge, but I at least want a coffee.

View attachment 519173
Even if there aren't solar pannels on the roof, some covering over EV chargers would be a nice change of pace. Outside of running into damaged/inop chargers way too frequently, charging in the rain is probably my biggest gripe.

View attachment 519173
So on the nearer station, there are 12x48 panels (576 total), each with a nominal capacity of ~400 watts, for a total nominal capacity of 230 kW. That will run 1-4 fast chargers depending on the units, with 20 stations under the cover. It's definitely good and it might well pay off, but it also doesn't power the entire charging station.

If it’s protecting you from the rain not much power is produced.
Not sure how you relate rain with solar efficiency. Care to elaborate?

Here's one place I can get answers:
"But at 20 watts per square foot, a system rated to produce 2 kilowatts would cover roughly 150 square feet while a 3kW system would take up about 225 square feet."

https://us.sunpower.com/blog/2019/07/16/how-much-solar-power-produced-square-foot
Even if there aren't solar pannels on the roof, some covering over EV chargers would be a nice change of pace. Outside of running into damaged/inop chargers way too frequently, charging in the rain is probably my biggest gripe.

Every gasoline station I've ever used had a canopy and a retractable cable, so it's quite obvious to me that all charging stations should have the same. Not sure what going on in the minds of some charging station builders. Maybe they're building them as a 2-step process, with canopies added as EV numbers increase.

Not sure how you relate rain with solar efficiency. Care to elaborate?
Guessing that it's the old "solar panels don't work in the rain" complaint. If it's presently raining, the solar panels above your head aren't working, ergo if you want a cover over your head sometimes, the solar panels never work. It's sort of the opposite of the old "I can't fix my roof when it's raining but when it's not raining it doesn't need fixing" fallacy.

Every gasoline station I've ever used had a canopy and a retractable cable, so it's quite obvious to me that all charging stations should have the same.

Charging stations have the advantage that there's no petroleum product spilled on the ground to wash into storm drains so they don't need canopies to protect the watershed. Also you have to stand around outside your car at the gas station to keep an eye on the hose in case the auto shutoff doesn't work or the nozzle comes out. I wonder how many people stand around outside their car when it's charging.

"Not sure how you relate rain with solar efficiency. Care to elaborate?"

If it’s raining little sunlight is coming though.
Maybe Scotland isn’t the best place, cloudy, low sun angle, short days in winter.

I found a Supercharger puts out 72kw. I understand it would be a rare day all the charges are in use at the same time. Many more panels

Every gasoline station I've ever used had a canopy and a retractable cable, so it's quite obvious to me that all charging stations should have the same. Not sure what going on in the minds of some charging station builders. Maybe they're building them as a 2-step process, with canopies added as EV numbers increase.
I can see keeping the cost down to setup new infrastructure. I just made a road trip from VT to PA and back and a lot of the charging stations have been in weird little nooks here and there. If they put in a few more stations by not having to build structures around them I suppose that's a decent tradeoff for now.

I don't normally stand around while charging, I either sit in the car or wander off... but when it's raining sideways it really sucks to play with the charger interface and plug my car in. 😅

"Not sure how you relate rain with solar efficiency. Care to elaborate?"

If it’s raining little sunlight is coming though.
Maybe Scotland isn’t the best place, cloudy, low sun angle, short days in winter.

I found a Supercharger puts out 72kw. I understand it would be a rare day all the charges are in use at the same time. Many more panels
Ok well, as far as I understand, sunlight is almost never used directly, it's rather used to charge a battery (or grid), and then the battery is used to power a tool, appliance, or to charge and EV battery. So yearly solar output is the relevant metric, not the instanteous output. Rain, shine, night, etc. don't matter, only average output over year.

... I wonder how many people stand around outside their car when it's charging.
... I don't normally stand around while charging, I either sit in the car or wander off...
I found a way to rig my laptop in the car so I could probably stay in the car for hours if there was shade, so I'll take the canopy for the shade it provides 😁.

Last edited:
I don't normally stand around while charging, I either sit in the car or wander off... but when it's raining sideways it really sucks to play with the charger interface and plug my car in. 😅
Another area where Tesla has lapped the competition. Drive up, grab the plug and jam it in the hole. Charging commences, billing is automatic.

Another area where Tesla has lapped the competition. Drive up, grab the plug and jam it in the hole. Charging commences, billing is automatic.
I mean I have a key fob for EvGo stations (and the app for that matter), and most you can initiate a charge from your phone through their app... but I've still run into many that don't.

Does that work with Tesla on a non-Tesla charge station?

I mean I have a key fob for EvGo stations (and the app for that matter), and most you can initiate a charge from your phone through their app... but I've still run into many that don't.

Does that work with Tesla on a non-Tesla charge station?
No, just at Superchargers as far as I know. The point with Superchargers is that there is no uncertainty or guessing or surprises. Drive up, plug in. And the vast majority of chargers actually, you know, "work".

I provide this free Tesla marketing even as I am coming to loathe what kind of person Elon Musk is becoming.

No, just at Superchargers as far as I know. The point with Superchargers is that there is no uncertainty or guessing or surprises. Drive up, plug in. And the vast majority of chargers actually, you know, "work".
Yeah, I get that. I've yet to have a charger turn my VW away or cause any problems, assuming the charger didn't have a rock thrown at the screen or was totally unresponsive. :)

Maybe at some point I'll upgrade to a Tesla, but if I'm spending Tesla money there's a lot of other really interesting options...

Guessing that it's the old "solar panels don't work in the rain" complaint. If it's presently raining, the solar panels above your head aren't working, ergo if you want a cover over your head sometimes, the solar panels never work. It's sort of the opposite of the old "I can't fix my roof when it's raining but when it's not raining it doesn't need fixing" fallacy.

Charging stations have the advantage that there's no petroleum product spilled on the ground to wash into storm drains so they don't need canopies to protect the watershed. Also you have to stand around outside your car at the gas station to keep an eye on the hose in case the auto shutoff doesn't work or the nozzle comes out. I wonder how many people stand around outside their car when it's charging.
I’m usually doing something else like using the bathroom or getting a coffee.

Maybe at some point I'll upgrade to a Tesla, but if I'm spending Tesla money there's a lot of other really interesting options...

Here's the latest in those other options. I don't know much about the Genesis brand, but when it comes to EV's, I'm pretty open minded.

genesis-gv60-official-images-side-corner.jpg

https://www.genesis.com/us/en/genesis-configurator.html/A21N3TT100#powertrain
I set myself a goal to get a Tesla next (in 6-10 years), but a lot can change by then. I don't think it matters to me who runs which company. We'll see.

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡

Here's a set-up I don't remember ever seeing. Vok bikes is in Estonia.

image-5-1-2048x910.jpg

https://vokbikes.com
⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡

I'm no branding genius, but I really like this photo from Kia.

Small-20180-KIAtoestablishitsfirstelectricPBVplantinKorea.jpg

It's to announce plans to build a plant for commercial vehicles in Korea in 2023.

Last edited:
We’ll Genesis is Hyundai, so not much mystery there. Range is disappointing for the price, but other than that probably very nice.
Kia is also that group, so it's unsurprising to see a lot of the same powertrain components across the families.

It will help a lot, when big national store chains like Wal-Mart and Target, add many charging stations in their mostly oversized lots, in outer/corner areas rarely used (except a few days a year near Christmas and Black Friday). Then people will have more incentive to shop there, and eat in Subway or Starbucks, and the like that are often part of those stores. And also, usually (not alway) those stores are part of or next to larger shopping centers with more food and shopping options.

I mean, as it is, when I am doing a long trip, I often look for a Target or Wal-Mart to stop at along the way, as there often are some near interstate highways, then I get gas near to those stores before getting back on the road.

Eventually that has GOT to happen, just a matter of when. And what similar chains might beat Wal-Mart and Target to it, to get an edge. I say similar, since of course some more speciality chains that attract more affluent customers will have their reasons to get into it first (and there may already be some token ones. Apple Stores would seem a natural, except I've never seen an Apple Store with any decent amount of parking available to begin with. Plus far too few of those, often in off the beaten path areas, which most people go to at most once a year unless they have problems, not the mass market solution needed).

McDonald's would be great, but those too tend not to have surplus parking areas, at least not in the middle of the day. As seems to be true of most fast-food places.

Last edited:
It will help a lot, when big national store chains like Wal-Mart and Target, add many charging stations in their mostly oversized lots, in outer/corner areas rarely used (except a few days a year near Christmas and Black Friday). Then people will have more incentive to shop there, and eat in Subway or Starbucks, and the like that are often part of those stores. And also, usually (not alway) those stores are part of or next to larger shopping centers with more food and shopping options.

I mean, as it is, when I am doing a long trip, I often look for a Target or Wal-Mart to stop at along the way, as there often are some near interstate highways, then I get gas near to those stores before getting back on the road.

Eventually that has GOT to happen, just a matter of when. And what similar chains might beat Wal-Mart and Target to it, to get an edge. I say similar, since of course some more speciality chains that attract more affluent customers will have their reasons to get into it first (and there may already be some token ones. Apple Stores would seem a natural, except I've never seen an Apple Store with any decent amount of parking available to begin with. Plus far too few of those, often in off the beaten path areas, which most people go to at most once a year unless they have problems, not the mass market solution needed).

McDonald's would be great, but those too tend not to have surplus parking areas, at least not in the middle of the day. As seems to be true of most fast-food places.
Public Level 2 stations aren't really necessary for most owners. A typical owner charges at home and has over 150-200 miles each morning, more than enough to stay in town (you have to drive during 3-5 hours to expend 200 miles, something few people do in a day). So a lack of public Level 2 stations isn't a deal breaker (but their number is increasing). They're excellent for hotels though.

To go from town to town, owners use public level 3 chargers. Those are critical on highways. We need more of those, and they should always be next to a restaurant.

Oh, and I wouldn't install stations in outer/corner areas of a parking lot, nor right next to the door. I'd place them somewhere in the middle. I don't want to walk more than another because of the kind of car I have 😁. EVs should be seen as the default mainstream option, not what I call a "side show".😉 An installation is for many years and who knows how many EVs will be on the roads in 5-10 years.

⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡

On the Everrati website, you can pick a classic car and they'll sell you an EV version.

"Everrati’s business model is simple: Take an iconic car—a Porsche 911, a Ford GT40, a pagoda-roof Mercedes-Benz 280SL, for example—and replace the internal combustion powertrain with an electric one. You get the style and savoir-faire of owning a classic car without all the hassle of looking after the oily bits. And you can also get a car that’s demonstrably nicer to drive than the original. The Everrati Land Rover Series IIA is a case in point."

https://everrati.com/everrati-land-rover-series-iia-first-drive-iconic-style-electric-power/

Last edited:
Oh, and I wouldn't install stations in outer/corner areas of a parking lot, nor right next to the door. I'd place them somewhere in the middle. I don't want to walk more than another because of the kind of car I have 😁. EVs should be seen as the default mainstream option, not what I call a "side show".😉 An installation is for many years and who knows how many EVs will be on the roads in 5-10 years.
Couple of things about that. There has been so much of the "close spaces" being eaten up. It began with Disabled Parking, and that makes perfect sense. Then expectant mothers..OK. Then veterans. And parking to go inside to the Pharmacy.

And more recently, accelerated by Covid, whole swaths of close parking eaten up for "Drive-Up" orders, taking up extra wide space per car to allow carts beside the vehicles. While the drivers don't need to park close (since they stay in their cars), most certainly the employees wheeling out those orders need as short of a distance as possible. And they are usually under a corporate arbitrary deadline (like 2 minutes or 3 minutes, regardless of weather) to complete the delivery from the moment the customer clicked on their phone app that they were there. Also, less distance they travel, the safer due to moving cars.

So, I'm not so much in favor of YET ANOTHER special class of "parking" to eat further into the parking that is near the store, the very mid-lot places I'm stuck parking at now due to all the other dedicated parking spots above. EV's won't be the mainstream for perhaps 2 decades, and giving them preferential treatment in addition to all the others above would bring a lot of resentment from everyone else in the here and now.

Like say if there was special closer parking for LImousine and Sports Cars, vehicles of the rich. How would that play out among the general public? For now, most EV's are vehicles for "the more affluent", out of the price range of most people for the time being. As it is, some Wal-Marts have gas stations, and guess what, those stations are not in the middle of the parking lot. They are usually in a corner of the lot or even outside but adjacent to the Wal-Mart store's parking lot. And of course, EV owners could still park as close as they can get, if they want a shorter walk, just not get their car charged up.

But I was not even thinking about that aspect. I was thinking of the practical logistics of adding all the charging stations to an existing lot, and the extra space needed per car compared to a normal parking lot. It would seem to be easiest to place those along a border area of the parking lot. And I would expect that if say Target and Wal-Mart did it, they'd have the sense to offer some sort of discount on the charging fee, or gift card, or something.

And I referred to that as a beginning point. Certainly as more and more EV's replace IC vehicles, there will be more demand, and forward-planning companies ought to keep in mind how to upgrade from "X" number of charging stations at first in a large lot, to several times "X" number in the future. At least if there is a demand for it at those stores, if there is not the mass increase in charging stations elsewhere that there needs to be in the next couple of decades.

I see that Love's Truck Stops are doing EV chargers. Well, they are doing a better PR job at it, than actually doing a good job at EV chargers. I see by this article, one of the top hits, they planned 28 chargers by 2021, in 7 of their 520 locations, 4 chargers each at only at those 7 locations. Seven is a drop in the bucket (1.3 percent). "Test program" would be a more accurate story there. Hopefully Covid didn't screw up those plans, and they and other truck stops (which do have crap-loads of parking available) will add charging stations to most or all their locations quickly, with ability to add many more charging stations as more and more EV's are on the highways, and less IC vehicles are. THOSE are the places that need to adapt the quickest, as far as their general customer base outside of truck drivers using Diesel, as fewer and fewer non-Diesel IC vehicles are on the road over time.

https://www.convenience.org/Media/D...g stations, located,public use by early 2021.
At least Love's is trying something though. I hope the rest of the big truck stop chains are trying too, but I did not find much else.

Last edited:

At least around here (Puget Sound area), Wal-Mart and Target stores are exactly where Electrify America is putting their Level 3 fast charger stations in. They tend to be on one edge of the store’s parking lot not too far from the entrance, but not in the most sought-after parking locations, either. So it appears that they are thinking on similar lines.

Gas stations and ICE repair shops will be replaced with electric charging stations and EV repair shops. The grid will gradually grow to handle it. Battery technology will advance. Who knows, maybe recharge your cars' battery in five minutes? The burden on the grid will be mitigated by much more energy efficient products. Look at LED lighting vs. incandescent/halogen.
Technology rules.
Probably a lot of smithys lost their jobs when the country transitioned from horse and buggy to ICE. All for the greater good.

Gas stations and ICE repair shops will be replaced with electric charging stations and EV repair shops. The grid will gradually grow to handle it. Battery technology will advance. Who knows, maybe recharge your cars' battery in five minutes? The burden on the grid will be mitigated by much more energy efficient products. Look at LED lighting vs. incandescent/halogen.
Technology rules.
Probably a lot of smithys lost their jobs when the country transitioned from horse and buggy to ICE. All for the greater good.

I generally agree, except that I don't need faster charging. The present situation is actually sufficient. Overnight charging covers daily local use, and a single 30-minute charging session for 250 miles, at lunch time, is all I need for a 500 mile road trip. i just don't care to drive more than that in a day. That's why production can't keep up with demand, we're at the point where they actually fill our needs. We're there now.

⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡

Spinlaunch's electric "rocket", carrying a camera:

Last edited:
Spinlaunch's battery electric "rocket" carrying a camers:
Hey, I just thought of something. If Spinlaunch can do that with a rocket then they could do that with an artillery shell, right? Electric cannons? Maybe DoD is working on that. Would need to improve turnaround time though.

Back