Large electric motors, batteries and vehicles

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real question with regards to wide spread acceptance of EVs is bound-up in this simple fact: 2/3rds of all private vehicle sales are on the used car market.
Half of all American's have never and will never purchase a brand new car, truck or SUV.

So the question becomes; how long will it take for there to be enough used electric cars, trucks and SUV's to supply that market nation wide?
I will call up Musk and tell him to start making used cars......

I will call up Musk and tell him to start making used cars......
It isn't that Musk needs to build used cars, he and other just need to build and sell, enough new EVs over a long enough period of time that eventually there will be enough used EVs available to filter down to those who, for one reason or another, prefer or by necessity purchase used cars.

Either that or somebody will have to produce a serviceable EV that costs between $6,000 to $10,000; and what's the likelihood of that?

It isn't that Musk needs to build used cars, he and other just need to build and sell, enough new EVs over a long enough period of time that eventually there will be enough used EVs available to filter down to those who, for one reason or another, prefer or by necessity purchase used cars.

Either that or somebody will have to produce a serviceable EV that costs between $6,000 to $10,000; and what's the likelihood of that?
https://electrek.co/2021/09/02/tesl...n-2023-likely-will-not-have-a-steering-wheel/
Prices are dropping although I will admit, the second half of that article doesnt quite pass the sniff test....

Cars like that exist in other countries.

As of today, Tesla can not keep up with demand. There’s no good reason to sell low when there’s a line up. Battery makers are clogged and it takes time to increase production. That’s the current bottleneck.

That is good to see... but there are some big holes there, two of them right in the middle of where I go most frequently on road trips. I live just south of Seattle, but have family in several places in New Mexico. Both Idaho (through which I drive) and New Mexico are pretty empty on their map. Right now the only EV I could consider taking on a trip to visit my Dad in Santa Fe would have to be a Tesla, as the Supercharger network mostly supports such a trip. But, progress is progress and the EEI announcement, assuming they follow through on it, is goodness.

I have a sort of pipe dream of wanting to take the road trip to see the April 2024 total solar eclipse in an EV, and for me to do that not only Idaho and NM need to be addressed but this EEI coalition needs to actually put in good EV fast charging in Texas (which looks great on the map, but about which I'm skeptical at the moment). Again, right now, only the Tesla Supercharger network comes close to making something like that doable.

I have a sort of pipe dream of wanting to take the road trip to see the April 2024 total solar eclipse in an EV, and for me to do that not only Idaho and NM need to be addressed but this EEI coalition needs to actually put in good EV fast charging in Texas (which looks great on the map, but about which I'm skeptical at the moment). Again, right now, only the Tesla Supercharger network comes close to making something like that doable.

Nothing wrong with Tesla. Here’s my personal strategy:

- I kept an old ICE until it was 14 years old and rusting, while saving for a first EV.

- I traded it for a plug-in hybrid instead of a 100% EV, because I was concerned about charging networks and what my daily habits were or would be.

- I’ll keep the plug-in for 10 years or until it croaks, while saving for a Tesla (Used or new, we’ll see then). I want to experience first hand how a car traction battery dies or fades.

By doing this, I’ll be bypassing any range issue.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Tesla. Here’s my personal strategy:

- I kept an old ICE until it was 14 years old and rusting, while saving for a first EV.

- I traded it for a plug-in hybrid instead of a 100% EV, because I was concerned about charging networks and what my daily habits were or would be.

- I’ll keep the plug-in for 10 years or until it croaks, while saving for a Tesla (Used or new, we’ll see then). I want to experience first hand how a car traction battery dies or fades.

By doing this, I’ll be bypassing any range issue.
Agreed, nothing necessarily wrong with a Tesla...and a Model Y is still a contender for replacing the 2016 Soul EV we have now when the time comes. Since Kia didn't bring the second generation Soul EV into the US, our original plan of returning this one at the end of its lease (in September of 2018) in favor of one with three times the range just didn't happen. In the end, we just bought it off the lease, because save for the range, we REALLY like it, and for most day to day uses, it's just fine.

We generally keep our cars until they die...I had an '88 Mazda 323 that went to the scrap yard with 316,000 miles on it not because it quit working but because I didn't stop in time for a sudden slowdown on the freeway on the way to work one morning and wrecked it. Our current other car, a 2013 Mazda3 Hatchback has 97K on it now....so it's just barely broken in. It's done the Washington to Santa Fe road trip several times, starting with a trip to NSL in Pueblo, Colorado in 2013, then NARAMs 56 and 60 at the same site and NARAM-61 in Muncie, as well as NSL in Alamogordo, NM and most recently NSL in Alamosa, Colorado this past May. It is not uncommon for us to have a couple of cars with well over 100K and often over 200K miles on them around.

But as I say, the only EV I could possibly have done even last spring's trip to NSL and then on to visit family in NM would be some kind of Tesla, never mind in prior years.

The Soul's battery is dying though, so how that all plays out will depend on Kia's fulfillment of the warranty on the battery and how well SK Innovation's replacement battery lasts. Since I have a level 2 EVSE at home, the decreasing range of the Soul is so far not an issue. It needs to get solidly below 70% state of health before I can start the warranty replacement process, which I have been warned may take some time (supply chains and all that jazz). It's hovering around that point now. It's right at the edge of where a trip to Sixty Acres and back is doable in the winter, and once it gets to where it can't do that trip it will bug me....though I can fast charge up in Redmond at a Fred Meyer before coming home — there's a Blink charger at Freddy's that I've used on occasion in the past — so it will clearly still be usable even then. I plan to just keep driving it while awaiting the replacement battery if the dealer will let me do so, rather than taking an ICE Kia as a loaner. I doubt there are any Niro EVs in the service loaner fleet at my dealership.

Mahindra, large Indian maker of tractors and cars, and lately the designers of the new BSA Gold Star motorcycle, received 4.6 million UKP from the UK govm'nt to build electric motorcycles and scooters in the UK.

That is despite their GenZe electric scooter division biting the dust in June this year.

Mahindra and their subsidiaries (inc Peugeot scooters) make electric cars, scooters, rickshaws and, I think, buses.

Fortunately the new BSA Gold Star is a 650 cc ICE single. And I want one. Now.

I don't even want to think about what 283 mph must feel like on a motorcycle. :oops:
I can say that I have ridden a cycle faster than I fell out of the sky,although the plane was doing about 180knots as I exited once.
You haven't lived until you have your foot-long ponytail works its way out of your jacket at 145,lol.

Last edited:
BASF, Germany’s largest chemical company, to invest up to €4.5 billion in battery materials and recycling.

”With the shift toward electromobility, the automotive industry is currently in the middle of its biggest transformation in history. As the largest chemicals supplier to the automotive industry, BASF will further strengthen its focus on battery materials and recycling…”

https://www.basf.com/global/en/media/news-releases/2021/12/p-21-390.html?WT.mc_id=P_390e

Last edited:
Model S Plaid road trip with a car engineer in a few days.

Also, Doug reviews a Lucid Air.

Last edited:
This guy owns and runs an EV. Interesting viewing (hopefully) for you all. I found it enlightening and it confirmed some of my thoughts, especially regarding an EV in regional Australia.

Warning 1. My thoughts are not always right, okay?

Warning 2. Australian content, therefore:

- Metric
- (in)appropriate swearing. The place 'Dingo Piss Creek' does not actually exist
- Deprecating language used to describe our illustrious and brilliant elected (or not) politicians
- Other stuff

I wish I'd had a physics professor like him at uni. He explains stuff good.

… Interesting viewing (hopefully) for you all. I found it enlightening and it confirmed some of my thoughts, especially regarding an EV in regional Australia…

Watched second half of 1st video. My first impression is he sounds pessimistic and doesn’t seem very enthusiastic about solving problems. I wouldn't hire him but maybe it’s the climate he lives in. He seems to think he knows more than the EV engineers. “Nobody talks about” this and that. Well yes people do talk about disposal, and recycling vs mining, and I found and posted links to companies that are squarely on the issue (because I wondered he same as him, and also know engineers are clever). “Clean air” is a distraction to a real issue I won’t talk about here. Not sure what’s his point. Many unfounded opinions. That host would need a lot more substance to make me budge.

Edited after having a morning coffee 🙃☕😀, to clarify it's the host I don't agree with.

Last edited:
Well yes people do talk about disposal, and recycle vs mining.

Unfortunately in Australia there has never been any discussion at a Government level on disposal and recycling of EV batteries. Ever.

Not trying to make anyone budge, @Funkworks . Just evaluating a lot of stuff before stumping up for a new 4x4 next year.

I wouldn’t bet on 4x4 availability next year. It seems to me that most of the world's 2022's 4x4 production is already spoken for. There's literally millions of people who are willing to invest in and pre-order EVs.

If I needed to get an 4x4 EV today, I'd take a good look at the Jeep 4xe. It’s a hybrid with an EV mode. So it’s everything a similar 4x4 has, plus an EV mode owners can taste anytime, without making any life changing commitment.

Here's Munro (a senior car engineer who tears up cars for a living and makes detailed reports) in the Jeep 4xe.

- - - - -

GM battery plant on the way.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/1...wallace-battery-cell-innovation-center-plans/
Edited after having a morning coffee.🙃☕😀

Last edited:
If I needed to get an 4x4 EV today, I'd take a good look at the Jeep 4xe. It’s a hybrid with an EV mode. So it’s everything a similar 4x4 has, plus an EV mode owners can taste anytime, without making any life changing commitment.

That's certainly worth a look. Except they aren't importing them to Oz. :mad:

We aren't getting the diesel Gladiator either. :mad: That was a serious contender for my cash.

Yeah it’s still early for 4x4 EVs. That’s why people are excited about new manufacturing plants like Giga Texas and Fords and GMs upcoming battery plants. We/they need those before anything can pop up at dealerships. Pre-ordering from those countries building the plants seem to be the only way so far. Tesla alone has caused worldwide battery production to double I think. Transforming the car industry and making batteries available to everyone is a freaking big ship to steer.

Back