Large electric motors, batteries and vehicles

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly a motor (the electorns go the other way!), but I'm doing a little planning work on one of the offshore wind power installations. The project will have one turbine's worth of components towed out on a barge to the installation ship. Each blade is close to the length of the 400' barge, and the hub/generator is about 2/3 the size of the tugs, and probably heavier too.

Not exactly a motor (the electorns go the other way!), but I'm doing a little planning work on one of the offshore wind power installations. The project will have one turbine's worth of components towed out on a barge to the installation ship. Each blade is close to the length of the 400' barge, and the hub/generator is about 2/3 the size of the tugs, and probably heavier too.
That’s huge. How do they anchor something with all that moving mass to the sea floor?

Each blade is close to the length of the 400' barge, and the hub/generator is about 2/3 the size of the tugs, and probably heavier too.
A few years back when I had my mill delivered the crane driver was telling me that the day before he had delivered a 30 tonne gearbox. It was for a wind turbine. Seriously big engineering in those things for sure.

That’s huge. How do they anchor something with all that moving mass to the sea floor?
A honking big tower. That's the technical term. :D The tower itself is around 1200 tonnes. I'm actually not entirely sure what the tower foundation looks like, but I imagine it involves some big pilings driven into the seafloor. Once you get past a certain depth, a floating structure like a floating oil rig is the only real solution. That's expensive enough that it's hard to make it pencil out. That's part of the reason the East Coast is getting most of the wind power installations--our water is too deep out here.
A few years back when I had my mill delivered the crane driver was telling me that the day before he had delivered a 30 tonne gearbox. It was for a wind turbine. Seriously big engineering in those things for sure.
The whole nacelle on one of these is around 750 tonnes. And the wild thing is that turbines are only expected to get bigger. Years ago, our shipyard clients were having trouble with lead times on Z-drives (imagine a prop for 3000 HP that turns on a vertical axis like an outboard engine). The problem was that there were so many land-based windmills going in that the Z-drive manufacturers were having trouble getting large ring gears. GE would basically walk into a gear factory and buy up a year's production in a single contract.

I ran across this bloke this morning. Some very interesting EV/Battery news. And the guy is a hoot! :)
He might have the most popular youtube EV channel in the UK. I'd forgotten about him, but just subscribed again.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Llewellyn
I often watch this clown:
https://www.youtube.com/c/EforElectric
And this former financial advisor, and now Tesla bull:
https://www.youtube.com/c/ElectrifiedSzn
There isn't much to watch here, but this one is heavy on economics and trying to predict Tesla's future:
https://www.youtube.com/c/TeslaEconomist
For an engineering perspective, I don't know any better than:
https://www.youtube.com/c/MunroLive
And because they're short:
https://www.youtube.com/c/ElectrekCo/featured

Last edited:
A Canadian company in Vancouver is electrifying de Havilland Canada DHC-3 Otters.

I was aware of this because once in awhile there's a story in the Seattle Times about what Harbour Air is doing up in Vancouver. The motor supplier is local (Everett, I think).

It will be interesting to see when they get a viable conversion flying and certified by the CAR.

I was a little bugged by the video in that they spent lots of time around the electrified DHC-2 Beaver prototype in the hangar but all the flying shots were turboprop-converted DHC-3 Otters. I would have liked to have seen a few seconds of the electrified Beaver itself in the air over Vancouver harbor or something....

I was aware of this because once in awhile there's a story in the Seattle Times about what Harbour Air is doing up in Vancouver. The motor supplier is local (Everett, I think).

It will be interesting to see when they get a viable conversion flying and certified by the CAR.

I was a little bugged by the video in that they spent lots of time around the electrified DHC-2 Beaver prototype in the hangar but all the flying shots were turboprop-converted DHC-3 Otters. I would have liked to have seen a few seconds of the electrified Beaver itself in the air over Vancouver harbor or something....

I live in NW Wisconsin & grew up in Duluth, MN which isn't too far from Ontario Canada. I have quite a few friends who have flown into lakes/resorts in northern Ontario to go fishing. And the aircraft of Canadian pilots for these excursions is the Otter. I'd love to fly in one. :)

I live in NW Wisconsin & grew up in Duluth, MN which isn't too far from Ontario Canada. I have quite a few friends who have flown into lakes/resorts in northern Ontario to go fishing. And the aircraft of Canadian pilots for these excursions is the Otter. I'd love to fly in one. :)
If you hop out here, there’s a busy floatplane airline (Kenmore Air) that flies people around the area in Otters and Beavers. As I understand it, their flights aren’t all that expensive. And you get to dodge sailboats and kayaks on takeoff and landing!

I’ve done lots and lots of fly in fishing trips. Go do it sometime. You’ll have a blast.

If you hop out here, there’s a busy floatplane airline (Kenmore Air) that flies people around the area in Otters and Beavers. As I understand it, their flights aren’t all that expensive. And you get to dodge sailboats and kayaks on takeoff and landing!

I’m definitely doing this sometime. My wife and I get to the Seattle area pretty often — almost once a year before the pandemic. We have a nephew in Arlington. On our visits, we’ve taken the opportunity to go to Vancouver, BC, San Juan Island, and Vancouver Island. The floatplanes look so fun! We’ve always used the ferries, but I’m interested in taking a floatplane out to the islands sometime. One of the most interesting harbors I’ve ever seen was Victoria Harbour, BC. There’s so much traffic constantly going on, with the ferry, little water taxis, fishing boats, private boats, and the floatplanes constantly taking off and landing in the middle of it all. Crazy!

Airstream is developing the eStream. An interesting concept. I wonder how much it will cost.

https://www.airstream.com/air-lab/concepts/estream/
I wonder if they'll be V2L or V2G capable. If they can be used as a home battery backup or as grid support for revenue, it'll justifiy a higher price. The battery alone could be worth 10-25k. And then there are so many possibilities for extra features, each one at a price.

Last edited:
Airstream is developing the eStream. An interesting concept. I wonder how much it will cost.

I really love this idea! I think during a discussion in this thread about V2L, I suggested that maybe RV makers should make a trailer with all-electric appliances, heating, air conditioning, etc. to be powered by the vehicle. But this takes it to a whole new level with the trailer itself having batteries and powered wheels. It sounds very cool.

I really love this idea! I think during a discussion in this thread about V2L, I suggested that maybe RV makers should make a trailer with all-electric appliances, heating, air conditioning, etc. to be powered by the vehicle. But this takes it to a whole new level with the trailer itself having batteries and powered wheels. It sounds very cool.
I agree. This is a whole new game. But again price is important.

I found this both interesting and confusing. Politics is definitely strange.

:angiefavorite:

I also did but posted it here instead, because the subject is a recipe for hjijacking this thread and clogging it up. I started those other threads to avoid eternal arguments about ICE and government in this one.

Comparing with ICE and arguing about it forever: here.

Arguing about incentives and government forever: here.

Technical progress about batteries and related news stories: this thread.

:computer:

Last edited:
:angiefavorite:

I also did but posted it here instead, because the subject is a recipe for hjijacking this thread and clog it up. I started those other threads to avoid eternal arguments about ICE and government in this one.

Comparing with ICE and arguing about it forever: here.

Arguing about incentives and government forever: here.

Technical progress about batteries and related news stories: this thread.

:computer:
Sorry. :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back