Large electric motors, batteries and vehicles

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't consider announcements about things to happen in 5 years or more to be very reliable, but when they put in billlions here and billions there, it can't be a total joke.

I don't consider announcements about things to happen in 5 years or more to be very reliable, but when they put in billlions here and billions there, it can't be a total joke.

It also helps that Nissan is a company that (a) already produces cars and (b) already produces an electric model. Both of those make it a lot less likely that the announcement will be vaporware. Though I love my Leaf, I'd like for them to have progressed further than that by now.

Explaining how battery state of charge is determined.

I think Nissan deserves a lot of credit for EV development and deployment (with massive Leaf sales of course). My ICE loving friends would have looked at me like 🤨 if I’d gotten a 2012-17 Leaf (with its peculiar headlights), but the newer 2018-21 Leaf could pass like a “normal” car to them (if it made noise😄). The 2022 Ariya however, could actually make ICE fans jealous I think.

I have reason to believe car makers have willingly delayed making attractive or compelling EVs, but don’t yet have any solid confirmation of this.

Last edited:
I think Nissan deserves a lot of credit for EV development and deployment (with massive Leaf sales of course). My ICE loving friends would have looked at me like 🤨 if I’d gotten a 2012-17 Leaf (with its peculiar headlights), but the newer 2018-21 Leaf could pass like a “normal” car to them (if it made noise😄). The 2022 Ariya however, could actually make ICE fans jealous I think.

I have reason to believe car makers have willingly delayed making attractive or compelling EVs, but don’t yet have any solid confirmation of this.

I, for one, like the bug eye headlights and ST:Voyager shuttlecraft look to the earlier Leafs. IMHO, the redesign made them too generic. That said, I understand why Nissan did that. I'm only one buyer, and I already had mine. :D

Noise was/is a pretty decent issue. I've accidentally snuck up on pedestrians a lot in parking lots. Over 10 mph or so, the tire noise gives you away.

I like innovative designs like the first Leaf, but if Nissan really thought the bug-eyes were appealing, they’d had it on all their cars.

Kid-size only but it counts as an EV!

Last edited:
I think all of Greenworks’ tools are battery powered:

https://www.greenworkstools.com/
As for solar power, the only real mass usage I see for it is to charge batteries when not in use. Here’s a link for anyone interested. Technically, it’s a whole other ball game.

https://www.pv-magazine.com/
Maybe we can start a thread on it later. In my mind, there’s too much going on in each tech to try covering all of them in one thread.

Last edited:
The real question with regards to wide spread acceptance of EVs is bound-up in this simple fact: 2/3rds of all private vehicle sales are on the used car market.
Half of all American's have never and will never purchase a brand new car, truck or SUV.

So the question becomes; how long will it take for there to be enough used electric cars, trucks and SUV's to supply that market nation wide?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/toyota-open-multi-billion-dollar-160033122.html

Good for Toyota.
Good for North Carolina.
Good for the U.S.

We can't be dependent on China for car batteries and while we have Tesla it is never a good thing to be wedded to only one domestic supplier.
And yes, I do consider the above to be a U.S. based company even if it is owned by a Japanese company.

The real question with regards to wide spread acceptance of EVs is bound-up in this simple fact: 2/3rds of all private vehicle sales are on the used car market.
Half of all American's have never and will never purchase a brand new car, truck or SUV.

So the question becomes; how long will it take for there to be enough used electric cars, trucks and SUV's to supply that market nation wide?
Per what 5 seconds on Google just told me, the average lifespan of a car is around 12 years/200K miles. That sounds relatively plausible to me (as long as we're not talking Mini Coopers!). So if car manufacturers are going to be all electric in 2035 or so, you would expect that ~1/2 to 2/3 of the cars on the road in 2045 or so would be electric, depending on what the percentage of gas cars is in 2030 or so. At that point, you're probably going to see a fairly rapid turnovers gas cars age out. At some point in there, gas stations will close or convert to charging stations because of lack of demand. Once that process starts, it will probably speed up the conversion to electric because it will be increasingly inconvenient to have a gas-powered car.

A thought experiment for comparison to electrification is the conversion from leaded to unleaded gas in ICE vehicles. Unleaded was first introduced in the 1970s, followed by partial bans of leaded gas in 1985 and a full ban of leaded gas in 1996. I asn't around at the time, but I would expect that leaded gas was a niche product only sparsely available in 1985, given that cars with catalytic converters couldn't use leaded.

One thing that will boost the wide spread availability of low mileage used EV's on the national market is when one of the large car rental companies purchases a fleet of them, which I think one of them recently did.
These cars are kept for a few years and then sold to various wholesale car auction sites and then resold to dealers all across America, which means that the guy/gal in Rattlesnake Breath Arizona can find one at the local used car dealership.
I'm not placing bets on all new cars being EV's by 2035 unless something comes along that allows for a more affordable battery to be placed in them otherwise there isn't going to be much available for the lower income new car buyer.
One thing I expect to happen is that many people are going to keep their ICE cars, trucks and SUV's much longer than is currently the norm. We may very well start seeing a lot of 25 year old, and up, cars on the road chugging along with 300,000 miles or more.
As far as gas stations converting to EV charging stations. That's not gong to happen, most gas stations now days are convivence stores that happen to sell gasoline from which they receiver little in the way of profits. The cost of installing an EV charger is upwards of $250,000 a pop with a return on investment being around seven years.
Somehow a means is going to have to be developed that will allow for EV owners that live in apartments and multi-family units to have readily available access to "Home Charging" and I for one have no clue as to what that's going to be and that doesn't even take into account that fact that we don't have the electric generating capacity to produce the necessary power to charge 150+million EV's each and every day nor do we have an electric grid that can support that.

Last edited:
One thing that will boost the wide spread availability of low mileage used EV's on the national market is when one of the large car rental companies purchases a fleet of them, which I think one of them recently did.
These cars are kept for a few years and then sold to various wholesale car auction sites and then resold to dealers all across America which means that the guy/gal in Rattlesnake Breath Arizona can find one at the local used car dealership.
I'm not placing bets on all new cars being EV's by 2035 unless something comes along that allows for a more affordable battery to be placed in them otherwise there isn't going to be much available for the lower income new car buyer.
One thing I expect to happen is that many people are going to keep their ICE cars, trucks and SUV's much longer than is currently the norm. We may very well start seeing a lot of 25 year old, and up, cars on the road chugging along with 300,000 miles or more.
As far as gas stations converting to EV charging stations. That's not gong to happen, most gas stations now days are convivence stores that happen to sell gasoline from which they receiver little in the way of profits. The cost of installing an EV charger is upwards of 250,000 a pop with a return on investment being around seven years.
Somehow a means is going to have to be developed that will allow for EV owners that live in apartments and multi-family units to have readily available access to "Home Charging" and I for one have no clue as to what that's going to be and that doesn't even take into account that fact that we don't have the electric generating capacity to produce the necessary power to charge 150+million EV's each and every day nor do we have an electric grid that can support that.
Gas stations/convenience stores depend on people having to stop there for gas to get them in to buy stuff. If not many people are buying gas, there's less reason to stop there and more reason to stop at the full size grocery store that has a charging station out front. I don't think that many people will be jonesing for gas station coffee/hot dogs/sushi. If there's not many customer coming in the door, they'll need to either change with the times or close down. Buggy whip factories, and all.

Price of batteries and home charging systems are real issues that will have to be addressed, but there' been pretty solid progress on both of those in the last few years. The electrical grid is another issue. One relatively straightforward solution is to encourage charging at night when the grid is otherwise pretty quiet. That would be a net positive for grid operators, too since peaker plants tend to be more expensive than base load plants. Some places charge different rates for electricity depending on the time of day/night. That can make the Tesla Powerwall batteries cost-effective (look Ma, coming back to thread topic!).

... if car manufacturers are going to be all electric in 2035 or so ...

The products have everything people need and demand is increasing, so many companies are currently building all kinds of supporting infrastructure to make them as convient, attractive and affrodable as possible. There are solutions for every issue.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
New speed record with the Voxan bike on a track at the Kennedy Space Center!
🔌⚡🏍🛣🚀

Biaggi-Voxan-Kennedy-Space-Center.jpg

https://www.venturi.com/en/news/456...the-fastest-electric-motorcycle-in-the-world/

Back