Large Avro Arrow R/C Rocket glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I couldn't sleep this morning so got up and though about how I could upscale one of my kits to work with the 32mm G-12 motor. After flying my Avro Arrow a bunch and liking how it looked, went together and flew, and how the CG was located, I decided that had the good balance of a moderate weight, good size wing. I did an exact 50% upscale, so 3" PSII tubing, cone is on the way, 9mm depron replaces 6mm, a few more spar supports than the kit due to sheer size of tail and wing. Took me a couple of hours to frame it up, then a couple to add the little details and some covering. Still need panel lines, roundels and markings and painting the cone when it gets here. 48" length, 3" diameter, 36" wingspan, complete with radio and battery it's at 18 oz, rtf should be closer to 27.5 with cone, ballast and G12 installed. This will really scoot on the new single use 29mm G-12's if they ever get approved for flying again.

IMG_20200119_183322674.jpg IMG_20200118_223248221.jpg

Last edited:
Frank, I know you posted elsewhere about the weight of a 3" Estes nose cone, fyi this project might look good with the Balsa Machining Service/Mercury Engineering nose cone which a bit longer aspect ratio (its an inch or two longer than the Estes).

actually Rich, the Avro Arrow cone is pretty short, the one in my kit is longer than scale but is the only reasonable priced option, I think the PS-II will look better, I do have an example of the mercury engineering cone to look at. It's also semi transparent which requires a base coat of paint.

Frank, I know you posted elsewhere about the weight of a 3" Estes nose cone, fyi this project might look good with the Balsa Machining Service/Mercury Engineering nose cone which a bit longer aspect ratio (its an inch or two longer than the Estes).

Hi Frank,

That up scale really looks sweet. I'm attaching a pic of a cosmetic mod made to my little guy which I thought was worth passing on. It now has decking around the cockpit between the intake slabs and the cockpit itself has been enlarged. It was easy to do and looks great. The video of the first version with the tiny cockpit way up front put me off buying it but if it looked like this I think you'd have sold lots. Just my opinion and I hope your not offended. :)

Richard

Attachments

• P1000079b.JPG
    P1000079b.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 81
Not at all, I like it. I thought about doing the decking and trying to change the canopy, but then there is more sanding and filling on the cockpit, little pieces, instructions, takes me longer to kit it so more expensive, it's a tradeoff of looks versus time to make and cost, and ease of assembly....I do include spare foam in the kit, maybe I'll include your picture in the instructions for people to replicate. I can't wait for you to fly it and see what you think.

Frank

Hi Frank,

That up scale really looks sweet. I'm attaching a pic of a cosmetic mod made to my little guy which I thought was worth passing on. It now has decking around the cockpit between the intake slabs and the cockpit itself has been enlarged. It was easy to do and looks great. The video of the first version with the tiny cockpit way up front put me off buying it but if it looked like this I think you'd have sold lots. Just my opinion and I hope your not offended. :)

Richard

I fully understand. Had a small company awhile back, even sold a few but materials, logistics cost conspired against it. Use the picture if you want. I'll help if I can.

Getting a hip replacement in a couple of weeks and our flying fields up here are down till April or May depending on weather so I'll just have to put up with looking at it for now.

Richard

it's funny whenever I do a scale model the cockpits always look way too big when I put them on, so I tend to undersize them. I see other models like the x-15 with the cockpits for example and they just look way too big to me, but they're probably correct.

I fully understand. Had a small company awhile back, even sold a few but materials, logistics cost conspired against it. Use the picture if you want. I'll help if I can.

Getting a hip replacement in a couple of weeks and our flying fields up here are down till April or May depending on weather so I'll just have to put up with looking at it for now.

Richard

Mine probably is large too but its a fudge factor as the real fuselage at the cockpit was rectangular and the cockpit took up most of the short side of the rectangle. Trying to make it look good on a round fuse with a big nose produced this, at least to my eye. The nose on the upscale is nice in size but if I imagine a little pilot inside the cockpit he would be tiny in scale. I myself though would only put decking on the intakes and be happy with that, being a buyer's option.

Getting G12s are a problem up here and I can't personally import anything above Es. I'll have to let the big one get away. :(

Do make a vid of the upscale flying, please. Maybe one of the little one too to replace the original with the funny nose.

Richard

I'll do videos probably in a month or two when I did my test flights the weather is beautiful but my daughter was working so I didn't have any video person. it looks just like the video with the funny nose just with the right nose

Mine probably is large too but its a fudge factor as the real fuselage at the cockpit was rectangular and the cockpit took up most of the short side of the rectangle. Trying to make it look good on a round fuse with a big nose produced this, at least to my eye. The nose on the upscale is nice in size but if I imagine a little pilot inside the cockpit he would be tiny in scale. I myself though would only put decking on the intakes and be happy with that, being a buyer's option.

Getting G12s are a problem up here and I can't personally import anything above Es. I'll have to let the big one get away. :(

Do make a vid of the upscale flying, please. Maybe one of the little one too to replace the original with the funny nose.

Richard

Hi, I've redesigned my kit to now use 2.6" tubing which has a shorter cone that I think looks better, in addition I updated the rear of the tube to have the little extension, and I changed the wing top view to be a bit more scale and have the intake and exhaust profiles, I reduced the wingtip dimension to be more scale and I upsized the cockpit....I still need to put the roundels on to finish it, the benefit is there is no coupler and the weight came out at 9.8 oz ready to fly now instead of 10.5 oz....What do you think?

IMG_20200708_153703828_2.jpg

Hi Frank,

Richard

Last edited:
Excellent! +1
Now I'm upset I didn't wait for this one. :goodjob:
Have not had a chance to fly mine yet 😷 but sooner or later it will rekit itself and this will be on the books.
Show me a pic of the tail cone.

Richard👍

Back