Laquer or enamel?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtomicStorm

Reaction score
So i went to lowes to get the $1 a can flat black (Project Source) spray paint for a primer base on my rocket. I know that you dont want to mix enamel and laquer but the can doesnt say what type it is. Im guessing that it is enamel since its so cheap. After reading up on it a little i see the laquer is a glossier finish and is also lighter. Does anyone know what type of paint this project source paint is?

Attachments

• IMG_20210501_190005.jpg
    IMG_20210501_190005.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 10
Also what type of primer and paint do you use? Looking for cheaper options, i cant spend $10 a can.

Look at recoat times. Lacquer paints have either recoat anytime or very short recoat times. Nearly all other paints have recoat times in hours or days.

Also what type of primer and paint do you use? Looking for cheaper options, i cant spend $10 a can.
I have used project source paints on a couple of occasions and honestly the efgort to get a good finish sucked, the cans seem to have more solvent than pigments and binders so color goes on in thin layers that dont cover well. You will save money using standard Rustos or Krylons. Enamel can go over lacquer once the lacquer is fully cured, lacquer may not go over enamel as the lacquer solvent will attack the enamel.

Makes since now you explain it that way. You know i was restoring a little 6 g. Air compressor the other day and was thinking, "hey, for the cost of 4 or 5 cans of paint, i could get a harbor freight air/paint gun with a quart of some cheap primer, or whatever and go to town."

Yes. Spray through paint gun/airbrush, water clean up. However, nonsandable, generally.
That would be tough to come out with a good finish without sanding right? Also is there a clear coat that works well with water base?

I use Krylon UV protecting gloss clear or "Future" acrylic floor polish (whatever it is called now).

I don't sand the color coat; instead I get the primer nice and smooth then apply very thin coats of acrylic color. Top with clear of your choice (I have not had problems with solvent based clears disrupting the water based acrylic paint). Once the color coats dry they are polymerized and pretty resilient, though not "hard" like a sandable lacquer.

Back