Lander/Rover project ends in catastrophic failure (AKA: Boom)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you be willing to put up 10 to 20% of the replacement value as a one time premium? Perhaps more since this is an amateur endeavor? I think not.:surprised: Kurt

Yes, when that much time and expense is at risk. It's better than a total loss.
Would you pay cash for a vett, and only insure it for liability? I think Not.

Sorry to see your project ended the way it did. I know it hurts almost like a death. I was explaining how it feels to have a big rocket project fail to someone yesterday who does not fly rockets. They said "takes a lot of courage to put so much at risk knowing in a few seconds it may fail". I applaud your courage to build and launch such a nice project. My condolences!! May your next project succeed beyond your dreams!!!

After a third attempt I was able to get flight data from one of the airframe Raven 3's and data from one of the lander Raven 3's.

The lander and airframe triggers performed properly despite their obvious CATO inspired challenges.

Lander flight data:

Flight Data Chart Lander.jpg

When we recovered the airframe assembly, the nosecone was still en place and the shear pin failed to break. Our "on field" assumption was that the pyro fired after the assembly hit the ground (jamming the nosecone). According to the data the nosecone pyro DID fire before the remaining airframe assembly hit the ground; so based on this data IF there was no CATO the airframe recovery would have failed to deploy ~ AKA lawn-dart. The payload door trigger fired as expected - there just weren't any payload doors to release at this point in the flight lol.

Airframe flight data:

Flight Data Chart Launch Vehicle.jpg

Last edited:
Since the airframe was rather well vented when the pyro charge fired, it likely didn't build the required pressure to break the shear pin. If the airframe had been intact, the pin may have sheared as intended.

Back