Lance Missile

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stymye

Reaction score
I found some neat pics of the Lance Missile in action
one thing I can't figure out

Why does the Lance missile spew smoke from the sides?

I have a pack of 24mm smoke generators that ignite with an estes igniter.. this could be a good project for one of them

Those are four solid-fueled nozzles to set the missile spinning like the Honest John! That would be a cool project to incorporate those smoke generators!:cool:

yeah they are really low thrust motors, they get the rocket spinning for stability, just not too fast.

thanks , they didn't look like they were spinning in the photos , so I wasn't sure

heres one more

... i know this might sound bad but what about those small little firework smokers :D

that would look awesome

From Designation Systems.NET

Additionally, the Lance used 4 spin motors immediately after launch which produced the charactersitic black smoke which accompanied every Lance firing.

Before you do this, I think you need to consider:

From the Model Rocket Saftey Code: Flight Safety. I will not launch my rocket at targets, into clouds, or near airplanes, and will not put any flammable or explosive payload in my rocket.

I know, party pooper:p

Not sure

I also checked the High Power Saftey Code

And found

Payloads. My high power rocket will never carry live animals (except insects) or a payload that is intended to be flammable, explosive, or harmful.

I think the difference is in that the Ejection canister is considered part of the recovery system. A smoke bomb as you are considering

And don't let me mislead you, I think it would be cool

Is strictly payload, serving no function directly related to the flight.

A

Originally posted by stymye
I have a pack of the orange I'm itching to incorperate into a rocket

https://www.regin.com/rcsmoke.html

Just a few questions styme... How much do these things cost? Can they be set off with a 9 volt battery and timer like the PerfectFlite unit? I guess that last question is really dependant on what ignitor they come with and that can probably be swapped out. The reason I ask is I'm sure I've seen pics on the web of HPR rockets using something like them under their 'chutes as tracking smoke. A very cool effect and probably not in violation of either of the two big orgs rules.

EDIT: After following a link or two I missed when first looking at that smoke page I've found the prices and that a 9 volt will work. Now I just need a step by step tutorial for idjiots :D .

EDIT 2: I found the step by step tutorial. It's geared for RC pilots of course but is adaptable.

I don't know if it would work well on the way up as I'm suggesting but, It would make an excellent tracking device

It doesn't really burn as much as it melts..the smoke is harmless and contains no oils... I'm not sure if it would ignite dry brush or not ... the original purpose for these is to test HVAC systems..in fact Regin is an HVAC company

the igniter kit looks like tiger tail igniters.. I will have to do a little more research before I try it... including a test at my personel launch site ,
the o.d. fits a bt-50 and the smoker can be cut down to any length...I'll post the results when I see how it works out

I would have to be able to explain it to(convince) the RSO before I fly one anyway

hmm

i have an idea and i think im gonna start work on it :D

a 3 engine cluster side by side, with a 24 or 29 mm mount on the middle, and the other two designed to hold the smokers, so it smokes on the way up

THIS IS GONNA BE SO COOL!!!:D :D :D :D

Finally! I've been looking for something like this after seeing a cold smoke canister at one of the last launches I went to.. Very convenient on the high altitude rockets! Actually, the person who flew it reviewed the rocket ( Polecat Nike Smoke) on EMMR, so if anyone wants to see what something similar does in the sky, go here. It really looked awesome spiraling down. made for EASY tracking... :)

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
Before you do this, I think you need to consider:

I know, party pooper:p

of course there is the experimental crowd...hehe

The thread seams to be going towards a discussion of the smoke generators. Good becouse they are cool IMHO. Eugene said the ignitors appear to be Quest Tiger Tails and stymye may agree. I have zero experiance or knowledge of Tiger Tails. Do they suck up amps? I see the maker recomends a seperate battery on board for the smoke instead of using the battery supplying the remote control stuff. But thats RC stuff and it should be expected to use more power. Perhaps an altimeter could fire the smoke?

I've used tigertails, and I can't tell a difference by looking at a TT and those on the site. I think they do use a lot of juice, because they are pretty much copperheads. What's interesting though, is the site says that a 9V battery can fire the igniters. So maybe they don't use the power a copperhead does?

Back