Laminating resin has gelled.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketcharlie

Reaction score
Hi,

I just went to use some Fiberglast 2000 resin and it has gelled and almost wouldn't come out of the can. I have probably had it for 6 or 8 months. Is this now a throw away? Is there anything that can be done to keep this from happening?

Charlie

Bottles of gelled epoxy respond well to warm water. You could put the can in warm water and see if it helps. Wipe off the can before you try pouring as I assume even a few drops of water in the resin will be bad.

Thanks folks, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to work on a project this weekend. I will try the warm water method, not the microwave because it is still in a metal can.

Thank you Kuririn. I feel confident I can warm this resin and keep going. The last thing I wanted to do was wreck a project by using resin that had gone bad.

I have never had Fiberglast 2000 resin gel, curious, my current can is more than a year old and almost empty

I wouldn't recommend microwave, in particular if that is a microwave you ever intend to use for food. A warming box or warm water bath is good.

You might have to get it to about 50C to dissolve all the crystals which form in the resin. No harm in doing so. However if you pour out of the can while it is in that crystallized or partially crystallized state you are altering the epoxy properties. That is not good.

Let it cool down to not much over room temperature before use. Otherwise it will kick off much faster and be more brittle once cured.

Gerald

Back