Laminating epoxy surface issues?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDcluster

Reaction score
I've working on 2 Min Dia Rockets. I've had some issues with the epoxy I'm using....
Resin Research 2000CE. I applied a surface coat and reapply it to get a smooth uniform finish layer.
After it cured, it looks like a splatter effect of what you would see when mixing oil with water.
It would like nice as a paint scheme but, not for a smooth surface.

What would cause the epoxy to do this, regardless of brand?

Would be because of the undercoat or glass that I used?

Hard to tell without a picture. One common issue is fisheyes, where surface tension pulls the epoxy back from the substrate. The result looks like holes in the top coat. That's caused by surface contamination--you need to get the surface clear of all oils and bits of dust before you lay new epoxy over.

Amine blush, insufficient mixing, surface contamination such as oil, inconsistent surface prep, variable thickness layer, cooking it off too fast, ... Pictures please!

Gerald

I’ve had this issue as well. Was the first layer fully cured? That resin research resin likes to cure into a super smooth surface that it causes a new layer to beed.

I recommend applying the first layer and wait until it gets tacky, but not yet fully cured. That is when you want to apply your second layer.

To fix your current situation your going to have to sand it down and apply a new coat.

Back