Lakeroadster's Warhawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Updated Sim... Looks like an E30 will be a good candidate for this one to ensure adequate off rod speed. Maybe an E-20, depends on final as built weight.
2022-09-18 Open Rocket Simulation Warhawk BT-300.jpg

Last edited:
I am super interested in the rear ejection. I have yet to build something like that. Two questions:

1). How will you arrange the parachute and cord? Either side of the engine mount? Spooled around? Something else?

2). Since there is close to no volume for the gas to expand, will the ejection be extra energetic calling for a super long shock cord?

Bonus question. What are the chances the recovery spool will exit at an angle and possibly complicate things?

( Parachute gets pinched maybe? Probably nil, but anything is possible.)

I am super interested in the rear ejection. I have yet to build something like that. Two questions:

1). How will you arrange the parachute and cord? Either side of the engine mount? Spooled around? Something else?

2). Since there is close to no volume for the gas to expand, will the ejection be extra energetic calling for a super long shock cord?

Bonus question. What are the chances the recovery spool will exit at an angle and possibly complicate things?

( Parachute gets pinched maybe? Probably nil, but anything is possible.)
1) The chute doesn't wrap entirely around the spool. It wraps until it touches itself, then doubles back on itself.​
2) A BT-300 is a pretty large body tube for a 24mm motor. I used this same arrangement on my Red Columbine and it flew and recovered without incident.​
3) The front upper centering ring is smaller to prevent binding. I wrap crepe paper around that upper ring to help protect the parachute from flaming hot bits.​

Red Columbine Dwg Sheet 9 of 10 Rev 02.jpg

Nose Cone Coating and Attachment to Fuselage

Now that the rocket successfully passed the swing test, I can complete gluing it together and begin finishing / painting it.​
I coated the inside surfaces of the redwood nose cone with a combination of Gorilla Wood Glue and Titebond Quick and Thick. The motor ejection charge impinges directly on this surface.​

001.JPG 002.JPG

Last edited:
Air Intake & Exhaust Headers

A few little detail items.​
Air Intake​
Made from a 1/2" dowel, sanded to suit.​
Exhaust Headers​
@Sandy H. suggested making some headers that protrude out... rather than a flat decal. Great Idea.​
3/16" dowels should work. After the glue dries I'll sand the sub-assy's. to length with my benchtop disc sander.​

Also updated the Open Rocket As-Built simulation​

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPGFire Shark.jpg2020-09-23 Open Rocket Simulation Warhawk BT-300.jpg

Last edited:
Exhaust Headers Day 02 - CWF

Sanded the headers to length, sanded the glassine off the body tube and wood glued the headers to the body tube.

001.JPG

002.JPG003.JPG
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CWF... Day 01

001.JPG

Last edited:
Sanding the CWF

The Elmer's CWF I'm using I bought in May of 2018. This stuff is amazing. I store it in a ziplock bag, with a damp paper towel. Each time I use it I just add a little water in the corner of the container (or take some of the CWF paste out and put it in a yogurt cup and add some water). Then I throw out the old paper towel, put in a new damp paper towel, and stow it away.

I used 220 grit, then 400 grit, to sand down the CWF. Tomorrow... It's primer time. Stop! You can't paint this! (yet)

004.JPG

That’s going to be a fine looking model! Will we see hand painted chrome headers?

Thanks, fellow woodsman.​
Hand painted, yes. Chrome, no.​
I'm wanting to do a weathered paint job, with carbon trails off the headers and machine guns. Sure, it's an oddroc, but I've always been a fan of patina.​

The real ones were nice just off the assembly line. Then after just one flight they were covered in exhaust soot, dirty from take off and landing, and dinged up from maintenance and transport. Model rockets are the same!

I was gonna joke that the planes get dinged up after their first transport flight because (lady pilots); but I have to admit that most of those WASPs were damn good and had more air-hours than their male counterparts!

I was gonna joke that the planes get dinged up after their first transport flight because (lady pilots); but I have to admit that most of those WASPs were damn good and had more air-hours than their male counterparts!
Much respect. As the line goes, "all gave some, some gave all".

Got my Apogee Components order today, and I just ordered the parts 2 days ago.

I'm tired of recovery harness failures on my LPR / MPR's.. so I'm stepping up to 300# Braided Kevlar.

And I'm oh so looking forward to flying the Warhawk on the E-20 white lighting motors.

The fin alignment fixture was free by using Coupon Code NL24JIG

2022-09-29 As Received.JPG

Last edited:
Primer Day 02

320 grit sanded the 1st coat of primer, took some photos, then applied another coat of primer.

Almost Guud Enuff ... that's an industry term.

Last photo shows my weathered scratch-built P-40 windvane... the in-process scratch-build P-40 Warhawk... and the RSO Buddy the Gnome.

001.JPG003.JPG005.JPG

Army Green Paint

This is the same brand and color paint I used on X-Wing Alpha. The paint came out great on the rocket that I used the Rusto Filler & Sandable and then the Primer & Sealer. However, on the motor mount / spool that I used Rusto 2X Primer on, we experienced a flare up of the dreaded paint herpes. I just got back from throwing that 2X Primer into the trash can out in the garage.

One more thing: pew, pew... pew, pew, pew.

000.JPG001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG

Last edited:
Painting The Belly White

Mocked up the toothy grin. It's scaled up from the Open Rocket simulation model, bigger is better for an oddroc.

Then I used a pencil line on the Army Green to determine the profile line for the white paint.

Next blue painters' tape is used to mask the area not to be painted.

I first sprayed a light coat of the camo army green to seal the tape edges and minimize white seepages, waited 10 minutes, then fogged on the flat
white paint.

With any luck there won't be a bunch of Aspen leaves stuck in the paint before it dries. A tad bit windy here today. The outside painting days are slipping away.

Turned out pretty good, needs a little touch up but not much.

SHARK!

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG006.JPG
007.JPG008.JPG

Last edited:
Painting the Nose Cone Red.

I'm not a paint "huffer", but I gotta tell ya, nothing reminds me more of my childhood than the smell of Testor's paint. 🖌️

Masking and spraying the Testors Gloss Dark Red was pretty straightforward.

I used my hobby knife and cut some blue painters tape longitudinally to have a nice fresh cut tape line at the paint dividing line. I rolled the dice and didn't spray down a layer of the previous colors, before painting the red. There was a very minimal amount of seepage under the masking tape, but not enough to be concerned about.

I ordered some decal paper from Micro Mark this morning, (5) sheets of clear, and (5) sheets of white. Looking forward to seeing how the white works out.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG

007.JPG008.JPG

009.JPG010.JPG

Rear Eject Parachute Packing

I took some photos of how the 28" parachute is folded and packed into the spool. As previously discussed, it is not wrapped all the way around the spool.... Think "Hot Dog Bun".

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG006.JPG007.JPG008.JPG009.JPG010.JPG

Last edited:
Back