Lakeroadster's Twin Vipers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
A couple decades ago we were at an RC airplane event and a guy had 5 really small F-16's that were built tethered together such that as it was flying it appeared they were flying in formation.

That was so cool it's been stuck in my head all that time.

This morning I did a simulation of a rocket that is a pair of F-16's, attached via their ventral fins.

One of the F-16's carries the 29mm motor, the other F-16 carries the parachute. When the motor ejection charge fires, the motor ejects from the rocket and has a lanyard affixed to it that pulls the parachute out.

Both are BT-55 based.

2022-10-27 Open Rocket Simulation F-16 Viper Photo Studio.jpg2022-10-27 Open Rocket Simulation F-16 Viper.jpg
2022-10-27 Open Rocket Drawing.jpg

Last edited:
How do you think that will fly? My smooth brain thinks it may arch over fairly quickly, but that’s with no experience doing it. I like your idea though, I wrenched on vipers for 12 years.

A couple decades ago we were at an RC airplane event and a guy had 5 really small F-16's that were built tethered together such that as it was flying it appeared they were flying in formation.

That was so cool it's been stuck in my head all that time.

This morning I did a simulation of a rocket that is a pair of F-16's, attached via their ventral fins.

One of the F-16's carries the 29mm motor, the other F-16 carries the parachute. When the motor ejection charge fires, the motor ejects from the rocket and has a lanyard affixed to it that pulls the parachute out.

Both are BT-55 based.

View attachment 543554View attachment 543555
View attachment 543569
One characteristic feature of the F16 was the ventral scoop-like air intake.

If you add and “meld” that between the two you may have a location to place a MIDLINE motor and room for two chutes in fuselage bodies.

The static display F16 at USAFA had a big “plug” in the intake, I think to keep critters from taking up housekeeping.

One characteristic feature of the F16 was the ventral scoop-like air intake.

If you add and “meld” that between the two you may have a location to place a MIDLINE motor and room for two chutes in fuselage bodies.

The static display F16 at USAFA had a big “plug” in the intake, I think to keep critters from taking up housekeeping.
Yeah, but that's a tricky thing to replicate. You'd have to make an elliptical cross-sectional nose cone, then add that air intake.

Latest posts

Back