Lakeroadster's Sci Fi B-29

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
I saw this photo and thought... that would make an awesome rocket?

Motor(s) would be mounted in the fuselage. Maybe a single composite or a clustered BP configuration.

Maybe rear ejection with twin chutes?

Thoughts?

B-29 Sci Fi Rocket.jpgB-29 Nose.jpg

Lol, It's a Tie-fighter. Even has x-wing stencils under the canopy

Tricky to duct the gas from center to outboards while keeping the profile.

What about a motor in each outboard ducted to deploy chutes from the cockpit?

Never saw that. Very original. But when you think about it, it sort of looks like a TIE fighter. Weight balancing might be an issue.

Lol, It's a Tie-fighter. Even has x-wing stencils under the canopy

Yep, that's the sci fi part of the title.

Tricky to duct the gas from center to outboards while keeping the profile.

What about a motor in each outboard ducted to deploy chutes from the cockpit?

For a given motor, the variance in thrust can be dramatic. Trying to minimize the motor distance from the rocket c/l is advantageous. Otherwise the motor with more thrust tends to steer the rocket away from a vertical trajectory. That makes for a neat visual launch as the rocket veers away.. often into the ground.

Last edited:
Here's a preliminary Open Rocket simulation. I didn't scale anything yet, this is just to attempt to see if this is even feasible.

As it turns out, based on the CG, this bird basically is a tractor motor design, which IMO solves a lot of problems and makes @Daddyisabar happy all at the same time.

4" diameter "sphere", BT-60 fuselages. Vertical stabilizer and wings are built like a balsa model.

2021-01-26 B-29 Open Rocket.jpg
B-29 SF Conceptual Sketch.jpg

Last edited:
This might use break away recovery effectively.

I do NOT think you could put Motors in the outboards. Too far off center. One doesn't light you cartwheel, and if you have up to 10% thrust variance per motor, even if both light simultaneously and thrust duration equal, still may go catywampus.

But put motor on center and you have a tractor with mass forward. At ejection burn an elastic band and separate into three parts connected with cord. With those big fins, should tumble nicely.

This might use break away recovery effectively.

I do NOT think you could put Motors in the outboards. Too far off center. One doesn't light you cartwheel, and if you have up to 10% thrust variance per motor, even if both light simultaneously and thrust duration equal, still may go catywampus.

But put motor on center and you have a tractor with mass forward. At ejection burn an elastic band and separate into three parts connected with cord. With those big fins, should tumble nicely.

catywampus... it's an industry term :D

Wouldn't the parts beat against each other while tumbling?

I read in the book that widely spaced motors in pods is a hallmark of extremely POOR rocket design. Then I built the Arado 234 Blitz and it flew fine on 2 D12s in the pods. Not so good at book learning.

On this one you could use a three motor configuration and be just fine. Say 2 C6 0 plugged in the pods and a tractor C6 7(or longer burn D-E12) rear eject in a stubby fuselage up front. Three motors would spread out the sin and provide a nice centerline thrust to bring balance to the force. Reduce or eliminate the need for NO GOOD, STINKING, PERFORMANCE ROBBING NOSE WEIGHT. Yes, daddy would be happy to see such an unnatural little beasty fly; the Jedi, maybe not. My mindsim would require a nice long rod, Q2G2s and perfect conditions. Always thinking of flying a real B29 with a minimum of 5 motors. Love me some pods! Love me some questionably plugged motors ! It would need a good quad turret up front.

What I would like to know/ask is WHERE did you see the original picture at? *LOL* I would be interested in perusing that site to see any other artwork like it

So, was the original artist deliberately doing a sort of low tech Star Wars? I immediately thought Tie Fighter on seeing the first one, but that could have been a case of convergent evolution. But that X-wingesque fighter would be hard to pass off, and the two together seem undeniable.
[Y]aw is fine, pitch will need help.
Yes, my thought exactly.
What I would like to know/ask is WHERE did you see the original picture at? *LOL* I would be interested in perusing that site to see any other artwork like it
Yes, someone please answer this.

As I recall I saw it on Facebook, on the Mercury, Gemini, & Saturn / Apollo Program Era page, with a comment about please feel free to delete if it wasn't appropriate. I asked the person that posted it where they got it from, and they never replied.

👍 @lakeroadster - a Darth Vader TIE Advanced X1 variant of this will fly without modification.:) I love this stuff!!!

ps - my 2^8 th post!

Simulations I've done indicate that's not the case. What makes the B-29 version a good tractor motor candidate are those huge vertical stabilizers that move the cg way back. Darth Vader's fighter isn't nearly as extreme in that regard.

But some ballast could be added I suppose. It's food for thought!

Thanks

Estes Kit 004.jpg

Last edited:
Back