Lakeroadster's Scarlet Gilia

lakeroadster

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Another rocket inspired by a Colorado wildflower.

We did a hike this morning and these red trumpet looking flowers were everywhere. We've seen them many times before, but this year they're really abundant. I did some research and turns out they are Scarlet Gilia, also known as Skyrocket. This story is writing itself.

I took a couple of close-up photos, and then when I got home goofed around a bit with Open Rocket. There's no good way I know of to model petals of a flower, so I made some parallel fins.

This one will be a rear eject, like my Red Columbine.

I plan to make the petals by making a wooden mold, and then laminating glued pieces of printer paper onto it.

And the conical body tube will be made by turning a mandrel on my wood lathe, and then making my own paper laminated body tube.

Should be a fun project.

001.JPG 001A.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG
2022-07-11 Scarlet Gilia Open Rocket Simulation 3D Finished.jpg 2022-07-11 Scarlet Gilia Open Rocket Simulation Side View.jpg

Last edited:

icyclops

Reaction score
Another rocket inspired by a Colorado wildflower.

We did a hike this morning and these red trumpet looking flowers were everywhere. We've seen them many times before, but this year they're really abundant. I did some research and turns out they are Scarlet Gilia, also known as Skyrocket. This story is writing itself.

I took a couple of close-up photos, and then when I got home goofed around a bit with Open Rocket. There's no good way I know of to model petals of a flower, so I made some parallel fins.

This one will be a rear eject, like my Red Columbine.

I plan to make the petals by making a wooden mold, and then laminating glued pieces of printer paper onto it.

And the conical body tube will be made by turning a mandrel on my wood lathe, and then making my own paper laminated body tube.

Should be a fun project.

View attachment 527277 View attachment 527278 View attachment 527279 View attachment 527280
View attachment 527286 View attachment 527287
Plenty of horizon fin area for drag but not a lot of vertical area for stabilization no doubt…I see where you are going with this as it probably will have a similar effect as a cone fin roc….but all that open area between those thin surfaces may not work as you expect. Should be a cool looking roc for sure.

lakeroadster

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Plenty of horizon fin area for drag but not a lot of vertical area for stabilization no doubt…I see where you are going with this as it probably will have a similar effect as a cone fin roc….but all that open area between those thin surfaces may not work as you expect. Should be a cool looking roc for sure.

The spoke like fins are merely for the simulation.

.... I plan to make the petals by making a wooden mold, and then laminating glued pieces of printer paper onto it. ....