Lakeroadster's Rock-A-Chute 2021

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
I decided to take a stab at making a 2021 version of Orville Carlisle's Rock-A-Chute. It was discussed previously HERE

Very similar to the original 1958 design except I stretched the body tube 1" and am using a pine nose cone. It uses a 18 mm motor and a 10" diameter parachute.

Rock-A-Chute 2021 Dwg Sheet 1 of 2 Rev 00.jpgRock-A-Chute 2021 Dwg Sheet 2 of 2 Rev 00.jpg2021-12-17 Rock-A-Chute Open Rocket Simulation .jpgRock-A-Chute 002.jpg

Last edited:
Cool project. One question: the drawings don't seem to show enough room between the top of the engine and the parachute to include any wadding. Do you have a plan for not melting or burning the parachute, or am I reading the drawings wrong?

It gives me the (crazy?) idea of placing another piece of body tube between the dowels, but not attached, with a booster motor. Pick the length of the booster such that the launch stack looks like a normal rocket, then after staging you've got the Rock-a-Chute. With the lower CG I guess one might have to take artistic license to expand the fins a bit.

Cool project. One question: the drawings don't seem to show enough room between the top of the engine and the parachute to include any wadding. Do you have a plan for not melting or burning the parachute, or am I reading the drawings wrong?

Check out figure 4 below and the accompanying patent text where Orville Carlisle discusses protecting the chute. I'm going to try this, using crepe paper. That's one reason though why I made the body tube 1" longer... I want to use a 10" chute and have adequate space to not pack the chute to dense. I can always cut an inch off if I find I have plenty of space.

It gives me the (crazy?) idea of placing another piece of body tube between the dowels, but not attached, with a booster motor. Pick the length of the booster such that the launch stack looks like a normal rocket, then after staging you've got the Rock-a-Chute. With the lower CG I guess one might have to take artistic license to expand the fins a bit.

I'm trying to stay relatively true to Orville's design on this rocket..... but... that's a neat idea for a future variant. A fella could probably just tape a booster motor to the sustainer, and let it free fall, since they are 18mm motor's. I think that may have been something they did back in the day, if you look at the motor below that's a period correct piece in the Smithsonian.

Rock-A-Chute Page 2.jpg

Rock-A-Chute Page 1.jpgRock-A-Chute Page 2.jpgRock-A-Chute Page 3.jpgRock-A-Chute Page 4.jpgRock-A-Chute Motors at Smithsonian.png

For 'chute protection, yes, I see. Please make sure that the paper you make the end cap (52) from is flame resistant; Estes paper wadding is good. The patent description does not seem to specify what the parachute (46) is made of; I'm concerned that enough heat may penetrate the end cap (52) to melt it, but we shall see.

Regarding the booster, I envision it such that when it's removed you are left with exactly the rocket you're now preparing to build, unless the larger fins end up being needed; maybe removable nose weight could be added when a booster is used, in a way that is fully hidden. But that's a subject for another time.

For 'chute protection, yes, I see. Please make sure that the paper you make the end cap (52) from is flame resistant; Estes paper wadding is good. The patent description does not seem to specify what the parachute (46) is made of; I'm concerned that enough heat may penetrate the end cap (52) to melt it, but we shall see.

Regarding the booster, I envision it such that when it's removed you are left with exactly the rocket you're now preparing to build, unless the larger fins end up being needed; maybe removable nose weight could be added when a booster is used, in a way that is fully hidden. But that's a subject for another time.

The crepe paper I use is flame resistant. It states such on the package... and I tested it to be sure.

My plan to install some crepe paper it and compact it, using a dowel, so it's about a 1/2" thick plug and right up against the motor tube. Next, from the chute and hand conform more crepe paper to it's outside and bottom, then slide that into the tube against the crepe paper plug.

Note to self: Kevlar shock chord will be used, ran through a straw that spans through the motor mount centering rings, with a noose attached to the motor.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG

Last edited:
This would be a great HPR upscale.

What program (format) is the model/drawing in? Care to share?

<----Design Engineer

Latest posts

Back