MadRocketer

Determined to do it differently
Reaction score

lakeroadster

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Finishing Up The TTW Fin Gluing

This one took about 2-1/2 days to apply all the glue.

I try to apply the Gorilla Wood Glue so the fillets are in the optimal position for the glue to gravity flow into the joint. I used a 1/2" diameter fondant ball to pull all the fillets, so I waited about 3-1/2 hours for each application to dry before gluing the next.

Typically, I'm a glueaholic... but in this case, I tried to only use what is needed and not go overkill. Well, in my opinion anyway... :dontknow:

This fin can assembly is hell-for-stout and aesthetically pleasing. I almost hate to install the rear centering ring and cover this all up.

001.JPG 001.JPG

Last edited:

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That looks really good!
Just for fun I built a PML Quantum Tube rocket once using Gorilla Glue. It actually appeared to etch into the surface of the Quantum Tube. I’ve never had a problem with glue pops. Granted I had sanded the QT well before gluing and at least for me I wasn’t able to get the Gorilla Glue smooth, but the bond sees very strong.

MadRocketer

Determined to do it differently
Reaction score
This fin can assembly is hell-for-stout and aesthetically pleasing. I almost hate to install the rear centering ring and cover this all up.
Well, do you really need to cover it up? I mean, it’s all centered anyway. The front centering ring is there for ejection gasses to do their thing. Would the empty space cause issues?

lakeroadster

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, do you really need to cover it up? I mean, it’s all centered anyway. The front centering ring is there for ejection gasses to do their thing. Would the empty space cause issues?

Good point. Aesthetically I think it looks better with the ring, less busy looking.

Last edited:

lakeroadster

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Attaching The Fin Base Cones

These little pieces are giving me fits.
  • I mistakenly cut the slots a 1/2" too long... :facepalm: (CWF to the rescue).
  • By the time I finished slicing, dicing and beveling them half of them snapped into 2 pieces. That shouldn't be a problem though... 🐒 (Gorilla Wood Glue to the rescue).
And attaching these to the rocket requires some "unconventional" clamping and gaping methods.

It's a bit tedious but I think they'll look good once they are all in place, the glue fillets are added, and a I spend a couple hundred hours adding CWF - sanding - primering - sanding, etc.. ⏳⌛ You folks know the drill.

001.JPG 002.JPG

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I thought about "weaponizing" the rocket.... and adding some 1/4" dowels to fill up the gaps.... I'll mock something up once I get all the cones on. Not sure if it's something I really want to do or not.

pew... pew, pew, pew... pew, pew.

Base Cone Rework Idea.jpg
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update: Coming together... needs quite a bit of clamping but everything is aligning pretty well.

004.JPG

Last edited:

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I thought about "weaponizing" the rocket.... and adding some 1/4" dowels to fill up the gaps.... I'll mock something up once I get all the cones on. Not sure if it's something I really want to do or not.

If you don't mind an opinion, that looks like guilding the lilly.

lakeroadster

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Attaching The Fin Base Cones

These little pieces are giving me fits.
  • I mistakenly cut the slots a 1/2" too long... :facepalm: (CWF to the rescue).
  • By the time I finished slicing, dicing and beveling them half of them snapped into 2 pieces. That shouldn't be a problem though... 🐒 (Gorilla Wood Glue to the rescue).
And attaching these to the rocket requires some "unconventional" clamping and gaping methods.

It's a bit tedious but I think they'll look good once they are all in place, the glue fillets are added, and a I spend a couple hundred hours adding CWF - sanding - primering - sanding, etc.. ⏳⌛ You folks know the drill.

Update: Coming together... needs quite a bit of clamping but everything is aligning pretty well.

My temptation would be move them back the extra 1/2 inch (butt the rear end of the current notch with the forward edge of the fin) and cut the extra off the end. Would be different if it was a SCALE model. Then again, I aren’t a real engineer, so i often don’t have a fixed plan to start with.

lakeroadster

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My temptation would be move them back the extra 1/2 inch (butt the rear end of the current notch with the forward edge of the fin) and cut the extra off the end. Would be different if it was a SCALE model. Then again, I aren’t a real engineer, so i often don’t have a fixed plan to start with.

Thanks for the reply @BABAR.

I mocked that up and didn't like the look. The tip of the cone was so short, forward of the fin, that the proportions were all off.

In order to minimize the amount of wood filler used, I glued some 3/16" poplar dowel pieces inside the voids.

Last edited:

lakeroadster

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I glued a 1" x 1-1/4" piece of furniture grade plywood (no internal voids) to the inside of the 4" tube.... just in case I end up using rail guides. Then I can use a wood screw, into this piece of plywood

001.JPG
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Slathered (it's an industry term) some Carpenters Wood Filler into the fin base cone slots.

002.JPG
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Punched (6) holes through the 4" outer tube. These will be used to insert wood glue for attaching the inner and outer tubes to the nose cone.

003.JPG

Glued the rear centering ring.

004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG

lakeroadster

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
2nd Round of CWF on the fin base cones. Also built the motor mount / spool and turned the centering ring O.D.'s to size on the wood lathe.

001.JPG 002.JPG 002A.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I also had some time to look at the difference between Surface-Mounted Fins and Through-The-Wall Fins. I chose Phenolic as the material for all the components. This FEA isn't something to hang your hat on so disregard the actual stress numbers, but it does give a rough idea of just how much stronger TTW fins are.

2022-11-26 Surface Mount Fin FEA Level One.JPG 2022-11-26 Through The Wall Fin FEA Level One.JPG

Last edited: