Lakeroadster's Finless Rocket Utilizing Gas-Dynamic-Stabilization

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allow me to introduce "Thunk!". I've been thinking, or is that thunking, about some of the comments and tried to incorporate those into this redesign. It is also an upscale to a BT-55.

You'll notice a series of small fins, in an attempt to get the rocket to spin while under power, which will add stability to the rocket when the motor shuts off and thus GDS is no longer providing stability.
  • This version is designed to launch from inside a piece of 2" pvc pipe. That disc on the back is meant to seal the rocket to the pipe I.D. In doing so the pressure generated by the motor should give the rocket a projectile launch out of the tube.
  • It's a 24 mm design, so that allows for a wider array of motors.
  • The thought here is to launch it with the spinner fins and the rear disc. If it performs well I can modify it so the rear disc just slides onto the body, thus once the rocket leaves the pvc, the rear disc would slide off the rocket. Also, one set of the spinner fins could be removed.
  • The nose cone will have a threaded stud for adding / removing nose weight.
TIME_OUT!

I need to re-think (thunk) the rear seal.. while in the pvc, the pressure generated by the motor will escape up through the GDS openings. :facepalm:
Maybe have the seal attached to a coupler that slips inside the base and seals the GDS holes. Then when the rocket pops out of the pvc, the ring and the coupler fall off the back of the rocket?​
Thoughts?​
2021-01-27 Thunk! BT-55 Open Rocket Simulation Side View.jpgThunk Front View Pleasant Lighting.JPGThunk Tail View Pleasant Lighting.JPG

Last edited:
If the disc is aft of the vents, will you get any piston effect in the tube?

I would still stick the spinner fins near the aft end, and maybe not put them in a position at the front to reduce static stability. Hard to tell though once it gets spinning if that really matters or not.

If the disc is aft of the vents, will you get any piston effect in the tube?
You are right.

I need to redesign the rear sealing ring. Maybe have it attached to a coupler that slips inside the base and plugs the GDS holes. Then when the rocket pops out of the pvc, the ring and the coupler fall off the back of the rocket.

I'll take a look at that tomorrow. Thanks for you input.

Here's a preliminary set of drawings for Thunk.

Redesigned Items:
  • The sealing ring sub-assembly is a separate item and is a loose slip fit into the bottom of the rocket. It seals the GDS hole to allow for a piston style launch of the rocket.
  • The launch silo tube will have a cat whisker aperture (kind of like corn broom bristles) such that it will help to restrain the sealing ring when the rocket exits the tube.
  • Motor hook is externally attached
THUNK Dwg Sheet 1 of 4 Rev 00.jpg THUNK Dwg Sheet 2 of 4 Rev 00.jpg THUNK Dwg Sheet 3 of 4 Rev 00.jpg THUNK Dwg Sheet 4 of 4 Rev 00.jpg

Last edited:
Rev 01
  • Added some 1/4" dowels to stiffen the lower body tube, due to the GDS cut-out
  • Added a rear stiffener ring to prevent damage at ground hit
  • Relocated the motor hook so it engages the motor through the GDS port

THUNK! Dwg Sheet 1 of 4 Rev 01.jpg THUNK! Dwg Sheet 2 of 4 Rev 01.jpg THUNK! Dwg Sheet 3 of 4 Rev 01.jpg THUNK! Dwg Sheet 4 of 4 Rev 01.jpg

Last edited:
THUNK! Rendering.

The thought came to me today that it may well toast itself inside the pvc silo if the piston effect doesn't work...

Thunk Current Lighting.JPG

Last edited:
Build Day One: Custom Turned Nose Cone

Found this hiding inside a piece of 2 x 2 pine in our wood shed. Go figure? :dontknow:

001.JPG 002.JPG

Drawing Set, Rev 03, Re-post #1 of 2

I needed to add a drawing to the set... and since I can no longer update post #38, I'll just add all the drawings again here.

Thunk Rocket Dwg Sheet 1 of 11 Rev 03.jpg Thunk Rocket Dwg Sheet 2 of 11 Rev 03.jpg Thunk Rocket Dwg Sheet 3 of 11 Rev 03.jpg
Thunk Rocket Dwg Sheet 4 of 11 Rev 03.jpg Thunk Rocket Dwg Sheet 5 of 11 Rev 03.jpg Thunk Rocket Dwg Sheet 6 of 11 Rev 03.jpg

I chucked the rocket into the wood lathe and turned down the tip chord of the spin tabs so the rocket will have a loose slip fit into it's launch silo, a piece of 2" sch 40 pipe.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG
004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG

Last edited:
Updated Flight Simulation to Open Rocket 22.02.beta.01

All the pieces parts, like the stiffeners and tape rings were just for "visuals" before, now they are actually body tubes and transitions. I'm lovin' the new OR.. :clapping:

2022-03-20 As Built Open Rocket Flight Simulation.jpg 2022-03-20 As Built Open Rocket Photo Studio.jpg

Last edited:
Now that Thunk! is built I updated the Open Rocket file to an "As Built" configuration.

The rocket has small fins, what I call spin tabs, that are there to get the rocket to spin during the GDS phase, such that when the rocket's motor burnout occurs the rocket will maintain stability throughout the coast phase.

Maximum roll rate, per Open Rocket, is 65 rotations per second (3,900 rpm's) :oops: which happens 0.04 seconds before motor burnout occurs... which is pretty much ideal in regard to timing.

By the time the rocket reaches apogee the spin rate has dropped to 6.23 rotations per second (374 rpm)

I wonder what roll rate would really be needed to maintain stability during the coasting phase?

I can't imagine the 3,900 rpm will be accurate.. seems like that much rpm would destroy the rocket. It's a very symmetrical design, except for the steel motor hook... but that's probably enough of an imbalance to hinder it from reaching such a high rpm.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 2022-03-24 Thunk D12-5 Data Export Open Rocket Flight Simulation.xlsx
    965.1 KB · Views: 3
Removed the masking tape and newspaper. Still need to hand paint the fin tabs and the lower stiffener rods... once the weather gets warm again.

Thunk 010.JPG

Went to Home Depot and bought all the parts needed to build the launch silo.

Some assembly required, super easy to find all the parts... Who Knew?

Home Depot.jpg001.JPGThunk Rocket Dwg Sheet 11 of 11 Rev 03.jpg

Worked on the launch silo some this afternoon. It's in redesign mode.

I was going to have the whip go through the sidewall as shown below. Once I did a mockup, I realized this will make attaching the launch controller leads to the motor ignitor difficult, very difficult.

The plan now is to make a sort of cartridge that attaches to the threaded plug. That way I can bench load the rocket, attach the whip and then slide that into the silo, and thread the plug / cartridge in.

This will also allow me to make some sort of impingement / blast deflector as a part of the cartridge to protect most of the whip wiring and the lower threads in the coupling and plug.

008.JPG011.JPG004 Redesign.JPG

Last edited:
Back