Lakeroadster's F-79 Lone Wolf

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice! Is the slot of the side of the nose cone for the 20mm cannon?

With four motors, gonna be a spectacular lift off.

I figured the upside down 5 was because this is the team member that spent the most time inverted.

lakeroadster

Lonewolf.... No Club
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice! Is the slot of the side of the nose cone for the 20mm cannon?

With four motors, gonna be a spectacular lift off.

I figured the upside down 5 was because this is the team member that spent the most time inverted.
Yep... cannon ports. pew...pew pew... pew

1st launch will be 2 motors.... dual canted D12's. Simulation shows 333 ft apogee.. should make for a visually exciting flight with the lower height and the rear eject dual chutes.

Yep.... Thunderbird 5 does have it's number upside down.. T-bird trivia ;)

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Greg Furtman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
@lakeroadster One of the things you haven't shown us on the F-79 and the Hammerhead is your recovery systems. What are you using for shock cord? How are you attaching it? What size chutes do you plan on using? Inquiring minds want to know. (And if you remember where this phrase came from you too are an old fart.)

lakeroadster

Lonewolf.... No Club
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
@lakeroadster One of the things you haven't shown us on the F-79 and the Hammerhead is your recovery systems. What are you using for shock cord? How are you attaching it? What size chutes do you plan on using? Inquiring minds want to know. (And if you remember where this phrase came from you too are an old fart.)
I am lakeroadster, and I am an old fart.... :computer:

The F-79 weighs about 19 ounces (it's a pig). It has dual 24" long 75# kevlar chords attached to the eyebolt at the back of the rocket, attached to Dual 18" Estes plastic chutes that should yield a descent rate of about 18 fps. I'll use a #7 Eagle Claw Barrel Swivel on the eyebolt. No shock chord since there's no chance of zippering.

The recovery on the Hammerhead is a bit unconventional. I'll post the information over on it's build thread.

Last edited:

Greg Furtman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am lakeroadster, and I am an old fart.... :computer:

The F-79 weighs about 19 ounces (it's a pig). It has dual 24" long 75# kevlar chords attached to the eyebolt at the back of the rocket, attached to Dual 18" Estes plastic chutes that should yield a descent rate of about 18 fps. I'll use a #7 Eagle Claw Barrel Swivel on the eyebolt. No shock chord since there's no chance of zippering.

The recovery on the Hammerhead is a bit unconventional. I'll post the information over on it's build thread.

Ah...so you know where that phrase came from. :) Have you ever tried to explain to a young person what a vinyl record is? It is interesting.

lakeroadster

Lonewolf.... No Club
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ah...so you know where that phrase came from. :) Have you ever tried to explain to a young person what a vinyl record is? It is interesting.
We've still got our Technics turntable and a good assortment of 45's and 33 1/3's... so I'll just show them. That's back when you had to put forth some effort to enjoy some music.

Joshua Smith

Reaction score
The "Circle of Friends" is so handy. It allows optimal angles to place glue fillets "into position".
We used to have one of these, but the "people" are made of wood. It was carved form one chunk of wood, yet the "people" are woven together holding hands, but they also free to move. It's kind of collapsible. Hard to explain, but now the question is where did it go and can I use it for this same purpose? LOL

lakeroadster

Lonewolf.... No Club
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We used to have one of these, but the "people" are made of wood. It was carved form one chunk of wood, yet the "people" are woven together holding hands, but they also free to move. It's kind of collapsible. Hard to explain, but now the question is where did it go and can I use it for this same purpose? LOL
Ours is a pottery piece.