Lakeroadster's F-79 Lone Wolf

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inkjet decal paper needs to be clear coated before dipping it in water.
EDIT: I may have misunderstood. The streaking is produced from the printer?
Try cleaning the print heads or using a new cartridge.

I was going to suggest that. I remember our inkjet printer had a "clean" setting, it would supposedly automatically clean the printer head which maybe helped a little. I also remember that different inkjet cartridges were better or worse than others.

1) Yep.. Testors Decal Paper
2) No paper settings on this printer.... but I do use the manual rear feed slot so the paper doesn't have to curl.
@lakeroadster See if there are different setting in the printer software. That's where for most printers I've seen the paper type settings are. And run several head cleaning sessions to see if helps. If not you may need to replace the printer heads. Also, look down into the area where the heads are cleaned. If it is all gunked up use some isopropyl alcohol and q-tips to clean it up.

Inkjet decal paper needs to be clear coated before dipping it in water.
EDIT: I may have misunderstood. The streaking is produced from the printer?

I've been using regular Rustoleum Clear Semi-Gloss... seems to work.

The streaking is from the paper dragging across the printer as it feeds through.... there are no settings in the software, regular or advanced, for different paper thicknesses..

Last edited:
I've been using regular Rustoleum Clear Semi-Gloss... seems to work.

The streaking is from the paper dragging across the printer as it feeds through.... there are no settings in the software, regular or advanced, for different paper thicknesses..
I'd try setting the printer for photo gloss paper. On my inkjet it slows down the feed rate so the ink has a chance to dry more so things don't get streaky.

Indeed, really well done. Did you use any particular technique to do the curves? They look very clean from here.

I layed a strip blue painters tape onto my plastic cutting board, then used an x-acto knife to cut a strip just a little wider than 1/16" wide. I used that to lay out the curves, putting the fresh cut edge toward the area that was to be painted. Using the cut edge ensures that nice clean non contaminated edge that you folks discussed earlier.

Next I used regular 3/4" wide masking tape over that, but ensuring the blue tape edge was exposed as the edge sealer.

Then anything I didn't want painted I masked with newspaper.

Headed out to the barn, chucked the masked nose cone in my wood lathe.... With the lathe turning at it's slowest speed I applied a light coat of white, waited 15 minutes, applied a light coat of blue, waited 5 minutes and applied a final coat of blue.

After waiting 20 minutes I removed the mask.

Last edited:
I revised the decals and printed them again. They came out a lot nicer. Also included a decal for the air inlets in the side pods. Hoping that will give them the effect of being jet engine intakes.

I'm thinking I'm going to paint the red and blue stripes on the wings... the decal colors are just too light and not really the right shade.

001.JPG

Painted the red stripe on the wing yesterday, and the blue stripe today.

Using blue painters tape, cut longitudinally with an X-Acto knife, seems to make for really crisp paint lines. It provides a very clean edge on the tape. This is my third use of that technique and thus far it's worked great each time.

Next up... applying decals, then I'll finish up by painting some details with a brush.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG
005.JPG

Last edited:
Back