Lakeroadster's Cap Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Magic Dart was a lot longer and straighter. I had the pleasure of meeting Gary and seeing the Magic Dart fly when he did the qualification flight for the Summer build-off (the same day I attempted to qualify The Ellipse and crashed it spectacularly).

The cap rocket also has a resemblance to an old fashioned wooden dart, which is something I intend to try one of these years. It's somewhere in between Gary's dart and the cap bomb.
1679342344945.png

I remember having one of those as a kid, they were made from the cheapest pig-iron they could get. I think they rusted to junk as soon as you took it out of the box.
Do they even sell gunpowder caps to kids these days??

I remember having one of those as a kid, they were made from the cheapest pig-iron they could get. I think they rusted to junk as soon as you took it out of the box.
Do they even sell gunpowder caps to kids these days??

Rusted? For real? They were made from pot metal. Which was some low grades stuff, but rusting wasn't an issue.

I remember both kinds of caps. I had a set of shiny six guns when I was 4ish. Had other cap guns too. The plastic ones were for a revolver IIRC. I had one of those too. I just remembered the plastic caps came in a strip too. Must have watched a bunch of cowboy movies and 40's and 50's gangster movies. Liked guns then and still do. Some are works of art.

Yeah, I remember all three types, but the plastic strips were uncommon (as I recall). The revolvers with the rings were nice.

I loved them all. The manually advanced paper tapes, the revolver rings, and the disintegrating plastic strips for double-action pseudo automatics. Wonder how much plastic pollution my youth contributed to the world. 😂

Back