Lack of Interest In Contest Flying

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

astronwolf

Reaction score
I was under the same impression... don’t the current rules basically mean any club launch can be an NRC launch as long as there are two people flying the contest rules?
Yes, that's correct. A lot of the old "contest administrative overhead" has been removed.

What’s the big deal? Once we had someone timing a glider on a 1/2 A and then moments later someone launching a monster J motor off the rail. Every member of the club is into different things, isn’t that what makes the Hobby interesting for a wide variety of people?
I'm not sure what the big deal is either. It's some of the hate in this thread I don't understand. And worrying about ego, self-esteem, helping a drowning man, etc.... sheesh. It's just a hobby. I've been an avid contest flier, and I've been whupped way more times than I've ever emerged victorious. Never have I walked off the field with my head down wondering what I was going to tell the wife about my day. Those weren't days of shame. Those were good times! And in every single case where my rocket performance was sub-par, I was able to figure out why and have the opportunity to improve my flying. For me, it's the most fun I can get out of flying model rockets.

Tyler P

Nom-nom-nom...
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I do understand the attraction to contest flying. Building your rockets with a purpose and a goal in mind makes for better builds, in my opinion.

But I also understand the fun of just flying.

In RC I've done both. I enjoyed both.

High Desert Rocketry

Reaction score
Volunteer to be Contest Director, that is a position that is harder to fill than any other in a club IMO.
Want to do a contest, start it and see what happens. Last year I started the FAR-1030 competition.

https://friendsofamateurrocketry.or...19/01/FAR-1030-5R-Competition-June-1-2019.pdf

I was 'Contest Director' and every other position for the event launching rockets to 10,000' and 30,000'. We only had 4 teams. This year we had 12 teams from coast to coast and I ran my butt off; still running the competition on my own...organizer, registering, inspections, RSOing, judging, and everything else.

I mentor many school rocket teams (TARC, NASA SL, IREC, etc) and have found that most people in rocketry want to build and launch their own rocket...PERIOD. Nothing wrong with that, I did that for many years and then got into helping kids (of all ages) do rocketry. So far the satisfaction I have received has outweighed all the time and expense of helping our next generation of rocket people.

And I am looking for volunteers to help next year

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the big deal is either. It's some of the hate in this thread I don't understand. And worrying about ego, self-esteem, helping a drowning man, etc.... sheesh. It's just a hobby. I've been an avid contest flier, and I've been whupped way more times than I've ever emerged victorious. Never have I walked off the field with my head down wondering what I was going to tell the wife about my day. Those weren't days of shame. Those were good times! And in every single case where my rocket performance was sub-par, I was able to figure out why and have the opportunity to improve my flying. For me, it's the most fun I can get out of flying model rockets.
We live in a "pansified" PC world, where there shouldn't be any "winners" or "losers", and "everyone gets a trophy" . . . BS !

Competition is about doing one's best to be victorious and to learn the means and skills to improve, from defeat. There is a hierarchical "ranking" and "status" in competition, but those should be motivators, not "discourager's".

Dave F.

Latest posts