Lacie External hard drive question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred22

Reaction score
I have a lacie 500gb external hard drive. It's pretty full. When I try to use it and hit the log on icon the drive will not open and my laptop gets very slow. Is there some sort of software I can get to retrieve my data?
Thanks for any help
Fred

I have a lacie 500gb external hard drive. It's pretty full. When I try to use it and hit the log on icon the drive will not open and my laptop gets very slow. Is there some sort of software I can get to retrieve my data?

Do you have another computer you can plug it in to? (Assuming it's a USB or Firewire interface).

I plugged it into my dektop and it does the same thing. The log on icon a@pears and when I click it nothing happens and trying to get out of the log on I usually have to shut down the computer :(
Thanks
Fred

I plugged it into my dektop and it does the same thing. The log on icon a@pears and when I click it nothing happens and trying to get out of the log on I usually have to shut down the computer :(

Some folks have had success with SpinRite - it's not free, but it seems to work.

What happens when you try to EXPLORE the drive from a Windows Explorer window? Have you tried to reinstall the drivers or the control software onto the drive?

I very much apreciate your advice. I hooked the drive up to my wifes newer IBM thinkpad laptop and it logged on fine :) We are now backing up the problem drive onto another 1TB drive I bought. Redundancy what a concept :) Once again thanks for helping :)
Cheers
fred

Back