L3 Success: Compulsion, 4-in Fiberglass Frenzy XL build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will be a build thread to share, learn through feedback, and document my first "M capable" High Power Rocket build and subsequent flights.

I ordered the 4-inch Fiberglass Frenzy XL from Madcow Rocketry in November, but did not start construction until recently.
It will be roughly 93" long with a 75mm motor mount and should have a take-off weight around 26.5 to 30 lbs.

Kit Contents:
View attachment 319519

The airframe tubes and nosecone are nicely fabricated filament wound G12 fiberglass. I was impressed with how well the tubes fit, and how square the tube cuts were.

The bulkheads and centering rings are 1/8" G10 fiberglass. There is room for improvement with the centering rings, as the 3 units that shipped with my kit were not cut well. The inside diameters were all roughly 0.015 to 0.020" too large vs. the motor tube diameter. Also, the inside diameters were not well centered. The cut edges seemed to be rough and discolored brown, as if a dull tool might be to blame.

The fins are 3/16" G10 fiberglass. The fins are cut out nicely. The forward fin leading edges are beveled, and the aft fin trailing edges are beveled. The beveling is adequate. I would prefer that the bevels are more uniform and symmetric between fins.

All said, I'm happy with the kit and look forward to flying it this summer in the Black Rock Desert, Nevada.
I’ll be considering the the 4-inch Mad Cow Fiberglass Frenzy XL for my Level 3. I’ll also need to lengthen the design for a 54” Contrail Rocketry 75mm hybrid motor.

Back