L3 Practice Phoenix

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you already get your L2 between last post and now? I know you've been going hard on all the ****** kits!

Good timing! Coincidentally, I'll probably break out my 4" Phoenix parts to start building this weekend.

Did you already get your L2 between last post and now? I know you've been going hard on all the ****** kits!

Good timing! Coincidentally, I'll probably break out my 4" Phoenix parts to start building this weekend.
Yes, I did my L2 Sept '17. At TCC. I used "Nuffin" a scratch built 2.6" carbon/fiberglass on a CTI J270g.0916171330.jpeg

Whila the fin can was being epoxied into the body tube, there was a internal coupler added above the top centering ring.

0908170910.jpg

The Avbay coupler will rest on the internal coupler as well and the vent band to transfer thrust stress up the body.

The Avbay/coupler had a stiffener tube added. And the endplates will sit on the stiffener to seal the avbay.

0908170900.jpg

There is nothing like a Phoenix coming off the wing of a Tomcat. True top gun type of feeling to watch those videos.

Since the bottom of the tube was slotted to insert the assembled fin can. I cut a short piece of coupler to reinforce the lower tube back together.

0319191520.jpg

Slathered up with epoxy and taped them both tightly together.

Beautiful. After crashing my shiny new LOC Zeus last weekend on it's maiden flight (was supposed to be my L2 rocket), I'm going to be ordering the LOC 5.5 Phoenix this week hopefully. Top Gun is my favorite movie and the Tomcat is my favorite plane. Any Phoenix kit is going to need a good bit of nose weight. I had like half a pound of weight on the bottom of the nose cone on my 2.2" Madcow Phoenix with a 3D printed nose cone (the stock was balsa... really Madcow?). Let us know how the fin flanges go. Would love to try doing them as well (just doesn't look right without them).

Back