L3 cert spool rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's actually intriguing. Define "odd".

Airframe – The rocket must be built by the flyer. The rocket shall have a display on the exterior identifying the calculated center of pressure. The rocket must be of “conventional rocket design”. “Odd Rockets” including flying pyramids, saucers and flying spools will not be allowed for any certification flight. The rocket may be either a kit or scratch built. Scratch built rockets may contain commercially built components. Commercially available pre-fabricated fin cans, either as part of a kit or obtained separately, may not be used for level 3 certification flights.

If I recall, the last time a, well, different, rocket was used for a L3, was Troj's bucket rocket.
Which, by the definitions was not a spool, pyramid, or saucer... :D:rolleyes:

Basically it was a self contained "disposal" system in case things went wonky.....again.lol but they didn't
Ya could use remaining bucket to clear debris.
Right Troj?

kevintrojanowski-l-1-jpg.57121

And, at $2.69 each that's probably the most economical 10"ish bt ever. Love the through wall fins too..And the fact that you didn't remove the bails;)

Thank you. Would have driven me nuts trying to figure that one out.

There's a Bozo show joke in there somewhere, just haven't figured it out yet.

Thank you. Would have driven me nuts trying to figure that one out.

Figuring out how to build that thing was actually some of the most fun I've ever had with rocketry. It was a bit of a challenge.

For the record, that rocket passes both the Tripoli and NAR requirements for L3. For Tripoli, I had the (then) Head TAP and (then) Vice President as my TAPs. I did the cert through Tripoli. But for giggles, I asked someone in a position to give an official answer (don't recall specific title) if it would qualify for NAR and got a "Yes" there, as well.

BTW, if you ever want to watch an M motor spend several seconds trying in vain to shove a draggy pile out of its way, build a bucket rocket.

-Kevin

Back