L3 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ether

Reaction score
Dry fit of L3 build, changing a couple of things from my initial attempt

designed around 6GXL CTI case with a single airframe break. Airframe: canvas phenolic 3.9", 1/8 CF plate fins (4), 3.0 canvas phenolic motor tube, 3d printed tailcone, single parachute - reefed at apogee, fully inflated at lower altitude, activated by line cutter (redundant setup - tinder piranha, eggtimer quark, eggtimer wifi), main electronics housed in the nose cone coupler - 2 Protons, TRS ham tracker, HD sideview camera - looking out via crystal window. Nat of Upscale and Mike of MacPerformance have been fantastic in their help customizing components, Nat CNC'ed the fins and all the AV bay components, Mike did his magic on beveling the fins and customizing airframe components.

will start assembling it over the next months, targeting cert flight during SpringFest launch in Vegas in March next year. Assembly is straight forward, have fab some brackets for the electronic bay and lock in the recovery system once I've successfully tested it in another rocket.

Will post updates as the build materializes and keep details here https://rocketryprojects.blogspot.com/

View attachment 439665

Note that canvas phenolic is brittle. Tried a clone of the LOC 5.5" tube and it shattered on a rough but chute open landing.

Mac canvas phenolic is being used, not brittle at all, awesome material

so different material than i'm using, thanks for sharing your experience, sorry you had a failure with the material you used

are you alluding to a problem in my design? else you presume i would not be following the rules

are you alluding to a problem in my design? else you presume i would not be following the rules

If you have started construction without talking to your taps , then yes , there is a problem . Not in your design , but re-read the guidelines for tripoli cert 3 . Your taps need to be sent the design and ok it before you start .

might want to check my other postings before making this inference, might be polite to ask "have you cleared with your TAPs?" vs inferring i'm not following the rules

and if you see an issue might be nice to say "i don't think X would work, have you discussed with your TAPs?" vs inferring from experience with a different material that there is an issue

have a great holiday season

People have managed to get ahead of themselves in the past. He is just making sure you don't make that mistake :).
"be sure" presumes knowledge that i have not - i know enough English to read properly - it is just trolling

if he wants to discuss L3 process he is free to start his own thread on the process

Dry fit of L3 build, changing a couple of things from my initial attempt

designed around 6GXL CTI case with a single airframe break. Airframe: canvas phenolic 3.9", 1/8 CF plate fins (4), 3.0 canvas phenolic motor tube, 3d printed tailcone, single parachute - reefed at apogee, fully inflated at lower altitude, activated by line cutter (redundant setup - tinder piranha, eggtimer quark, eggtimer wifi), main electronics housed in the nose cone coupler - 2 Protons, TRS ham tracker, HD sideview camera - looking out via crystal window. Nat of Upscale and Mike of MacPerformance have been fantastic in their help customizing components, Nat CNC'ed the fins and all the AV bay components, Mike did his magic on beveling the fins and customizing airframe components.

will start assembling it over the next months, targeting cert flight during SpringFest launch in Vegas in March next year. Assembly is straight forward, have fab some brackets for the electronic bay and lock in the recovery system once I've successfully tested it in another rocket.

Will post updates as the build materializes and keep details here https://rocketryprojects.blogspot.com/

View attachment 439665

Please do not destroy threads. Removing the text and title will remove the educational value fo thread. What was the tithe of the thread?

"be sure" presumes knowledge that i have not - i know enough English to read properly - it is just trolling
It was not trolling at all.

Being excessively defensive and/or sensitive is not a good formula for happiness on a public forum. Don't assume suggestions = attacks. Folks are trying to help, and are certainly not required to research your own posting history before they comment. Give folks the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise, good advice in life but especially critical when interacting online.

I see you've already taken your ball and gone home, but I hope you'll consider the above anyway.

not sensitive when a-hole suggests something.. i can READ ENGLISH - i call them out

these were NOT suggestions they were presumptions that i don't know what the F i'm doing

let me put this way would they have said that to me in person at a launch - don't think so.. the "veil" of the forum lets these know it all spew their crap.

happy to share for information, their posts was not about my build it was about me following rules, give me a break - this happens often in threads, such a waste

Give folks the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise
presume you meant to say that the others not me.. that's what I think also, seems that courtesy was not followed by them

not sensitive when a-hole suggests something.. i can READ ENGLISH - i call them out

these were NOT suggestions they were presumptions that i don't know what the F i'm doing

let me put this way would they have said that to me in person at a launch - don't think so.. the "veil" of the forum lets these know it all spew their crap.

happy to share for information, their posts was not about my build it was about me following rules, give me a break - this happens often in threads, such a waste

Who are your Tap members ?

Okay, but you're wrong though. I've met many of these people in person and that's exactly how they would tell me if they were concerned I might do something which could possibly jeopardize my cert chances.

the "veil" of the forum lets these know it all spew their crap.
If you equate "Be sure you clear design with your Taps before you start." as "spewing crap" then I sincerely suggest you avoid participating in any social media.

how do you know my middle name????
Now we have truly gone off into the weeds.

guess you don't see the presumption embedded in the statement - i'll leave it there

suggest following your own advice its pretty good - might want to take it

Okay, but you're wrong though. I've met many of these people in person and that's exactly how they would tell me if they were concerned I might do something which could possibly jeopardize my cert chances.

ok, exactly what item did they raise about the build that he had concerns about??? the answer is NOTHING

rather it was whether I was following L3 process, not the build. alternatively someone raised a concern about phenolic based on their experience - fair point - but was a different material

ok, exactly what item did they raise about the build that he had concerns about??? the answer is NOTHING

rather it was whether I was following L3 process, not the build. alternatively someone raised a concern about phenolic based on their experience - fair point - but was a different material
The concern appeared to me to be about whether or not your reviewers already knew about the materials substitution.

A signer not signing would surely be just as detrimental to your L3 goal as a crack on landing.

That would be a fair concern, was not stated in the statement. It was an implication that I don't know the process, specifically asked if there was a concern they had, no reponse

TAPs are well involved and briefed, lot more than what I post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back