L3 Build

Discussion in 'High Power Rocketry (HPR)' started by mperegrinefalcon, Apr 16, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

Tags:
  1. May 3, 2019 #31

BF Rockets

BF Rockets

BF Rockets

They fit a little looser but they aren't coming out of the channel. Go test fit one and see. I think I saw where CJ Hendrickson recommended this once so it must be legit. I flew my L3 that way (M1500 in a 4 inch rocket). I think 1515s look too big on a 4 inch rocket.

2. May 3, 2019 #32

blackjack2564

blackjack2564

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's

Just be sure and check the fit when using 1010 buttons in 1515 rails.
    There are 3 sizes 1010 that I know of, standard-aero- small.
    Only the standard I have used fit, the others will fall out when wiggled!
    Also after several high thrust flights, there can be substantial wear on buttons. I either flip them over or replace as the 2 edges inside rail get worn flat. Especially with dirty rails!

3. May 21, 2019 #33

mperegrinefalcon

mperegrinefalcon

mperegrinefalcon

Time for a update:
    The fins have arrived, the rest of the rocket has not even shipped from Madcow. I am a bit disappointed because I ordered it about a month ago. Hopefully I can get it in time to build for High Skies in July. and launch it there. I picked up some 1515 airfoil rail buttons from Apogee Components, and they look massive. I just sent an email to the club asking what the longest 1010 rail they have is. I will be picking up the motor and casing at MHM in June and launching a minimum diameter 38mm rocket on a J530 as well as the VTS-6 I am working on painting at the moment.

4. Jun 23, 2019 #34

mperegrinefalcon

mperegrinefalcon

mperegrinefalcon

Okay peeps, update time.

I wrote a sternly worded email to Michael from Madcow about the lateness of my rocket and he told me that there was an issue with the slotting file again. They seem to be having countless problems with slotting for these fins, so I told him to just make six slots at 10" long. I will use my dremel and a cutting wheel to extend the slots and I will use a piece of aluminium angle to make sure that the slots are straight. The slots for the main fins will be in two part so the tube doesn't collapse on itself. At the halfway mark I will leave a 2" section un-slotted to support it during construction. Once complete the structure of the motor mount will help a lot with rigidity. I have purchased the motor, casing, harnesses and parachute protectors. I got two 30 foot long, 3 loop 7/16" Kevlar harnesses from OneBadHawk for the recovery.

Hopefully I actually get my kit this time. I am getting really annoyed with Madcow not telling me when there is an issue and instead just waiting for me to call and find out what the issue is.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    jmuck78 and Steve Shannon like this.
  5. Jun 23, 2019 #35

crossfire

crossfire

crossfire

Lifetime Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

What kit is it?

6. Jun 23, 2019 #36

mperegrinefalcon

mperegrinefalcon

mperegrinefalcon

It's not a kit they sell or manufacture it's my design for my L3 rocket I am naming Viper. I ordered the components from Madcow. Look to the first post to see the design.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  7. Jun 23, 2019 #37

crossfire

crossfire

crossfire

Lifetime Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

Your design looks very nice. Kind of reminds me of a Dynacom kit from the past. Don't understand what would be the hold up on it. Like you said you can always extend fin slots if that is the hold up. Good luck on the flight.

8. Jun 23, 2019 #38

mperegrinefalcon

mperegrinefalcon

mperegrinefalcon

Thanks man! A Crossfire was my 3rd rocket. Got it with the Estes launch pad when I was 7. Good times.

9. Jun 24, 2019 #39

jqavins

jqavins

jqavins

Joseph Avins

More than a lot. Restoring the integrity of the tube would be accomplished just by having the slots filled by plywood glued in place. Not that the MMT and fillets won't stiffen it even more.

One can hardly blame you for being annoyed. If I find myself in your position, i.e. ordering a custom kit, I'll think twice about using Madcow.

10. Jun 24, 2019 #40

mperegrinefalcon

mperegrinefalcon

mperegrinefalcon

Just make sure your slotting isn't too long and minimun .5" from the base and you should be okay ordering components from the website. I have ordered custom things before and they have been great and arrived in a timely manner. Custom work does take longer to fulfill than shipping out a kit. When the design needs more than 4 slots or has abnormally long long slots it tends to cause problems for them. I understand the issues they are having, I am just annoyed about the lack of communication to me about issues.

11. Jun 26, 2019 #41

mperegrinefalcon

mperegrinefalcon

mperegrinefalcon

I just go the tracking info for this rocket and Michael Klet just called me to let me know it will ship today or tomorrow.

12. Jun 28, 2019 #42

mperegrinefalcon

mperegrinefalcon

mperegrinefalcon

The components have arrived, no time today to post pictures or work on it at all sadly.