L3 Build LOC Ultimate Buzz 5.5

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I peeled a layer off the tubes and then slid 6lb fiberglass tube over airframe and payload. Coated with West systems epoxy and applied with a brush. Let it set up a little and then slipped shrink tubing on and heated it up. Never did this before but found it was easy to do with positive results.

Attachments

• applied fiberglass.jpg
    applied fiberglass.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 1
  • fiberglass coated.jpg
    fiberglass coated.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Peal tube.jpg
    Peal tube.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Shrink wrapped.jpg
    Shrink wrapped.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 1
Can someone tell me about what makes the whistle???

From what I understand its the dual fins but should it be blunt leading edge or rounded or even tapered to one side?
There’s something specific about the distance between the fins that makes the whistle particularly loud on rockets like this and amw’s white wolf I don’t know the specifics However. That said I do know that the two edges next to eachother (trailing of fore fin leading of aft) need to be squared

I peeled a layer off the tubes and then slid 6lb fiberglass tube over airframe and payload. Coated with West systems epoxy and applied with a brush. Let it set up a little and then slipped shrink tubing on and heated it up. Never did this before but found it was easy to do with positive results.
I’m curious because I also want to use this rocket for my L3 if possible but did you find the fiberglass reinforcement to be a necessary structural thing or is it more so insurance? Especially if I only ever plan to fly in the low end of l3 on occasion or high end of l2.

Why is the MMT tube the same length as the fin can tube? Or am I missing something here?

Also...subscribed. :popcorn:

I’m curious because I also want to use this rocket for my L3 if possible but did you find the fiberglass reinforcement to be a necessary structural thing or is it more so insurance? Especially if I only ever plan to fly in the low end of l3 on occasion or high end of l2.
Rocsim shows 10k feet plus with the smallest of 3 "M" motors and at around mach.
So it was for structural as well as trying something new.
I also plan on glassing fins to motor tube and airframe.

Rocsim shows 10k feet plus with the smallest of 3 "M" motors and at around mach.
So it was for structural as well as trying something new.
I also plan on glassing fins to motor tube and airframe.
Makes sense I’m currently away from my sims but I know loc tubes can go Mach and I’ve put about 50 g on one and it flew great so I probably shouldn’t be too worried. I’ll definitely be keeping up with your build since I might wanna try glassing it if I do a level three on this as well

Can someone tell me about what makes the whistle???

Maybe someone else who has actually built an Ultimate or Mystic Buzz (I haven't) can confirm this, but my understanding is that if you want the split fins to create a whistle/buzz you should leave the trailing edge of the fore fin and the leading edge of the aft fin unrounded. The air passing through the facing square edges makes the noise (I believe).

More to come.
I did take off 10" of the payload and since I had an extra coupler I glassed the inside since I didn't have the stiffy tube.
I then added the 10" to the airframe as it was already tight on any of the 3 baby M motors.

Well...yeah...Just wondering if there was a specific reason for it. Seems like that would make it difficult to insert a e-bay if the MMT tube is flush with the top of the fin can
Well I cut off 10" from payload and added to airframe.
Looked over Rocsim and it was not much room for cord and chute and who knows if I wanted to go another grain....doubt it but the ability is there.

In this part I glued together the 10" section being added to the airframe moving the EBAY up. I also glassed the inside of the coupler since I didn't have a stiffy tube.
I also made to wood blocks and banded the aft section together to pull the tube into shape and closer to the fins.
I proceeded to do the internal fillets.

Attachments

• Band and block aft section.jpg
    Band and block aft section.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Top CR epoxy.jpg
    Top CR epoxy.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Top Aft CR epoxy.jpg
    Top Aft CR epoxy.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Internal glass of coupler.jpg
    Internal glass of coupler.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Internal fillets on outer side.jpg
    Internal fillets on outer side.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Glued extention on to airframe.jpg
    Glued extention on to airframe.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Glued coupler extension.jpg
    Glued coupler extension.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Banding tube togehter.jpg
    Banding tube togehter.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1
Attached 1515 and 1010 rail buttons. You will ask, so I have it to where you just remove one or the other. With the top ones also doubling as a vent hole. There are nuts epoxied in place on the inside.
I also borrowed a 75mm flange to drill out holes and installed backing T-nuts. I had a scrap tube piece to act like the actual motor to keep it aligned.
I filled in with foam and used a Dremel to clean up the overflow of foam.
Installed aft ring and epoxied in place.

Attachments

• flange alignment.jpg
    flange alignment.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 0
  • Flange.jpg
    Flange.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Foam filled.jpg
    Foam filled.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0
  • Rail  buttons.jpg
    Rail buttons.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 0
  • T nuts.jpg
    T nuts.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Aft ring installed.jpg
    Aft ring installed.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 0
Here is the two sims I have. The original and the one I modified with extending Ebay and adding the 5th centering ring, the top forward one. Also the coupler tube was added to revised sim.

Attachments

• Orig Sim.jpg
    Orig Sim.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Sim Revised.jpg
    Sim Revised.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for creating this thread. I have had this kit for a while, but haven't started it yet. Great to see your build.

One question: When you glassed the rear body tube did you have any issues with epoxy getting into the fin slots? I have been debating whether its worth trying to fill the slots before glassing or just take a chance.

Thanks for creating this thread. I have had this kit for a while, but haven't started it yet. Great to see your build.

One question: When you glassed the rear body tube did you have any issues with epoxy getting into the fin slots? I have been debating whether its worth trying to fill the slots before glassing or just take a chance.
I put tape on the inside. After it all dried I used a dremel to cut out the slots from foward start and to the aft including that small part inbetween so I can slide the whole fin can.

You can allow the 'glass to wrap over them initially, then remove the area of 'glass covering them with a sharp craft or scalpel blade when it reaches the so called 'green' or 'leather' stage (ie touch dry, but not fully cured). Re-cutting fin slots is pretty straight foward at that point, as the slots in the cardboard substrate act as a guide.

You can allow the 'glass to wrap over them initially, then remove the area of 'glass covering them with a sharp craft or scalpel blade when it reaches the so called 'green' or 'leather' stage (ie touch dry, but not fully cured). Re-cutting fin slots is pretty straight foward at that point, as the slots in the cardboard substrate act as a guide.
Yes but since this was shrink wrapped I had to skim it 2 times after wrapping to get that smooth finish filling in some imperfections.
I did what Sollar Composites stated in the video but that took away too much epoxy and I was better off with a little extra..
Best to make sure you are okay before removing. I did that on one side and had leakage even with the tape on the inside.
Plus it makes it easier to sand and it not deforming as you sand it.

Drilled 1/2" hole just below top forward fin CR
Foamed forward sections inside fin areas.
Applied 1-1/2 4oz fiberglass to fillet area for extra strength
Applied fully over fins 4oz Fiberglass for extra strength

Attachments

• Foamed upper fins.jpg
    Foamed upper fins.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Glassed fillet area.jpg
    Glassed fillet area.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Glassed fins.jpg
    Glassed fins.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 0
I had some black filler primer to use up---why not??? Sanded it down and gave it another coat of filler primer, gave it a sanding once over, then did a lot of spot putty touch ups.
2 rounds of filler primer was because of pin holes.

Attachments

• More spot putty.jpg
    More spot putty.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Black primer.jpg
    Black primer.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 1
Back