L3 Build LOC Ultimate Buzz 5.5

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mounted hardware to the painted sled, Yes I painted it because I can and will go with the theme----
Drilled Vent holes
More sanding with 220 and prepping
Final round of primer---hopefully unless I find blemishes
After this dries real good then sand with 320

Attachments

• Sand b4 primer.jpg
    Sand b4 primer.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Electronics mounted.jpg
    Electronics mounted.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Final primer.jpg
    Final primer.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Drilled vent holes.jpg
    Drilled vent holes.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 0
Wired up both altimeters tonight. Used what I had available, there is blue and dark blue used on primary and then purple and green used for secondary. White wires are for primary switch and red is for secondary switch. I used cardboard tubes to help keep wires tidy from underneath.
Used a label maker to identify what was for what on the sled. Very easy to follow being color coordinated.

Yesterday I routed all the shock cords for the main and drogue chutes
I also updated Rock sim and had to add 63 ounces to the weight and pretty much was on target for CG at 55" from the front. Weighs in at 16.2 Lbs. with no motor.

Attachments

• Ebay top.jpg
    Ebay top.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 0
  • Ebay bottom.jpg
    Ebay bottom.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 0
  • Drogue chute.jpg
    Drogue chute.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Main chute.jpg
    Main chute.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 0
It’s always amazing too me what the first primer coat shows.

Often I think I’m close then… NOPE!

Great project

Started the painting process after all the small detailed prep work is now done.
Sprayed 2 coats of base coat of silver from House of Kolor and gave it a light sand with 800 grit to knock off any burrs.
Then I put down 1 light coat of House of Kolor Ltd Ed lime green followed by a heavier coat and then a 3rd light round a little farther away.
Then another very light sanding with 800 grit to knock off any burrs.
Then I applied 2 light coats of epoxy clear, applied mask for lettering after it dried and did nose, fins and lettering in House of Kolor Amethyst.....These to colors go very well together.

Wait until you see the final picture. Coming up next very soon to wrap up this build thread.

Right now I have epoxy clear on it and have it sanded down with 800 grit. Need to lay the final coat of clear and its done aside from installing the chutes and such.

Attachments

• spray green.jpeg
    spray green.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Spray base silver.jpg
    Spray base silver.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 0
Started the painting process after all the small detailed prep work is now done.
Sprayed 2 coats of base coat of silver from House of Kolor and gave it a light sand with 800 grit to knock off any burrs.
Then I put down 1 light coat of House of Kolor Ltd Ed lime green followed by a heavier coat and then a 3rd light round a little farther away.
Then another very light sanding with 800 grit to knock off any burrs.
Then I applied 2 light coats of epoxy clear, applied mask for lettering after it dried and did nose, fins and lettering in House of Kolor Amethyst.....These to colors go very well together.

Wait until you see the final picture. Coming up next very soon to wrap up this build thread.

Right now I have epoxy clear on it and have it sanded down with 800 grit. Need to lay the final coat of clear and its done aside from installing the chutes and such.
Love the color!
Painted my V2 with
House of Kolor Pavo Purple Shimrin Metallic with flat clear coat.
V2 CW.jpg

Well here it is.
The shot by the car was from over the weekend and had some issues where I had to fix due to the mask glue residue.
It looks really awesome in the sun shining down on it. Next is just outside my garage and the last one is in the house next to my Wildman 3" Shape shifter.

I hope to fly both at Air fest this year. Psychotic will be just a test flight prolly on a 54mm adapted to 75mm K560 motor.

Attachments

• Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 1
  • Outside.jpg
    Outside.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1
  • Sun shot.jpg
    Sun shot.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 2
Well here it is.
The shot by the car was from over the weekend and had some issues where I had to fix due to the mask glue residue.
It looks really awesome in the sun shining down on it. Next is just outside my garage and the last one is in the house next to my Wildman 3" Shape shifter.

I hope to fly both at Air fest this year. Psychotic will be just a test flight prolly on a 54mm adapted to 75mm K560 motor.

Great job - definitely getting a Joker / Riddler vibe from that colour scheme..😊

Great job - definitely getting a Joker / Riddler vibe from that colour scheme..😊
Yeah I was going to do the MARVIN THE MARTIAN theme on it but I had such a go with my L3 person who is no longer my L3. My experience with him had me come up with the name for it and named it appropriately due to that experience. I put my all into this with documentation.

Well this build has come full circle to a very nice end.

I went to Airfest 28 which was my first time going. I went to the field before going to my hotel to set up and I was like this place is awesome.
I was not going to do my L3 but this was a field to do it at most defiantly. I had to seize the opportunity. I was not sure about being able to come back next year. I didn't even bring my paper work but I did have my build document with me.

So that Friday I did a shake down and it was awesome, everything went really great and a nice whistle too. I checked in with my TAP and needed the docs to be signed. Fortunately when I went back to the hotel the staff accommodated me by printing out what I needed.

Saturday rolled by and I prepped and checked repeated the process I was actually nervous as I should be. Means I wasn't cocky about it.
Launched from Pad 71 with M1297. Very nice lift off and was able to follow it all the way up. Landed 1/2 mile away.
Result was 8655' and 912 mph. I defiantly will do my best to return next year.

Photo attached is the shake down flight on pad 51 on a J800 with and alt of 1988'
Unfortunately non of the L3 Flight.

Attachments

• Shake down.jpg
    Shake down.jpg
    846.1 KB · Views: 0
Awesome build! :clapping:

Was there a whistle? :)
Yes there was.
One of my favorite builds.

Unfortunately last 5th flight with an L1150R didn’t go so well. Chuffed off the pad and as soon as it left the pad it had a mick in the pants and went left for 1-1/2 miles and it was zippered to bo tomorrow.

If that is how it comes how would one do motor eject if you can’t fit the recovery gear in the booster section (I was reading this thread because i really like how it flies and looks and i was thinking about getting one)
Why is the MMT tube the same length as the fin can tube? Or am I missing something here?

Also...subscribed. :popcorn:

Back