L2 Planning Loc Warlock

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyropetepete

Reaction score
Hi all hope everyone’s safe and well.

So I’ve got the itch to start again. I already have my L1 so gotta get my L2.

I fancy something big and chunky. So looking at a LOC/Precision - Warlock. I think 38mm is limiting so ideally 54mm, I can then adapt this down to 38mm.

Upgrades, mods….

Now I’ve been out the game a few years but I’m guessing Ted from One Bad Hawk is still the king of the swing in recovery lines and hardware. If so then looking at Kevlar so not to worry about it getting burned.

I use to always use Aeropack retainers. I also presume this is still the go to brand/product. Guessing a flanged mount would better. Also the matching brand for the adapter.

Any mods to improve the kit etc.

Anything else?

That sounds like a good choice for a cert. Is that just for the cert flight or do you expect to fly more L2 motors in it?

You don't list a location, but what kind of field do you fly on? Waiver, etc. Can you push 8K ft. with dual deploy there or is 10K - 20K an option? What L2 motors do you want to fly after you get certified? large K, mid to large L motors, or will you stick to small J?

Being an east coast flier, if you want to try the K and small L motors, I would recommend a least a 54mm MMT in a 4" or larger rocket with dual deploy and in the 9 - +13 lbs. range w/o motor. It will give you many more options for L2 motors than the 7.67" Warlock if you have a limited field with motor ejection.

Of course you can always build more rockets for those motors after you cert.

Good Luck!

Hi all hope everyone’s safe and well.

So I’ve got the itch to start again. I already have my L1 so gotta get my L2.

I fancy something big and chunky. So looking at a LOC/Precision - Warlock. I think 38mm is limiting so ideally 54mm, I can then adapt this down to 38mm.

Upgrades, mods….

Now I’ve been out the game a few years but I’m guessing Ted from One Bad Hawk is still the king of the swing in recovery lines and hardware. If so then looking at Kevlar so not to worry about it getting burned.

I use to always use Aeropack retainers. I also presume this is still the go to brand/product. Guessing a flanged mount would better. Also the matching brand for the adapter.

Any mods to improve the kit etc.

Anything else?
You may also want to consider a Slimline retainer from Giant Leap. The 54 mm screw on version. It is sleeker than the Aeropack ones.

Last edited:
The Warlock is a fun rocket. That was my L2 rocket too. Mine is the older 38mm, and I agree a 54mm makes more sense. You can’t go wrong with a OneBadHawk harness, for sure! Another upgrade I would suggest is a chute. The included chute tends to swing a lot, and it caused a lot of fin damage issues for me. In fact, I failed an L2 cert flight due to the rocket swinging hard into the ground and tearing a fin loose. The descent rate was fine, but the swinging caused damage. So I would definitely advise you to get an upgraded chute with a spill hole or other design feature to prevent “burping” and the associated swinging caused by the flat chutes included with the kits. I like Spherachutes. https://spherachutes.com/

Other than that, it is a GREAT L2 rocket. I flew mine on a CTI J290 to about 2,000’, motor eject, with a Jolly Logic Chute Release. I would not have used the chute release, except for wind blowing toward a corn field and my oversized chute I used due to being spooked about my previous fin crack. Ordinarily it is a super simple motor eject L2 flight, in sight the whole time. Perfect.

Good luck with your L2 flight! And enjoy the rocket.

Built the Warlock for my Level 1 Cert. Hoping to fly it this spring.

Only changes I made to the kit was to replace the eye bolt that was included in the kit with something a bit stronger. Otherwise it's all stock.

There's a build thread on here is you'd like to see my process.

The Warlock is a fun rocket. That was my L2 rocket too. Mine is the older 38mm, and I agree a 54mm makes more sense. You can’t go wrong with a OneBadHawk harness, for sure! Another upgrade I would suggest is a chute. The included chute tends to swing a lot, and it caused a lot of fin damage issues for me. In fact, I failed an L2 cert flight due to the rocket swinging hard into the ground and tearing a fin loose. The descent rate was fine, but the swinging caused damage. So I would definitely advise you to get an upgraded chute with a spill hole or other design feature to prevent “burping” and the associated swinging caused by the flat chutes included with the kits. I like Spherachutes. https://spherachutes.com/

Other than that, it is a GREAT L2 rocket. I flew mine on a CTI J290 to about 2,000’, motor eject, with a Jolly Logic Chute Release. I would not have used the chute release, except for wind blowing toward a corn field and my oversized chute I used due to being spooked about my previous fin crack. Ordinarily it is a super simple motor eject L2 flight, in sight the whole time. Perfect.

Good luck with your L2 flight! And enjoy the rocket.
What sized Spherachute did you go with for your Warlock L2 flight? I am in the process of building a Warlock for an L2 attempt using a DMS J250W with motor eject only (no JLCR or electronics). Want to avoid excessive swinging on descent. Thanks!

What sized Spherachute did you go with for your Warlock L2 flight? I am in the process of building a Warlock for an L2 attempt using a DMS J250W with motor eject only (no JLCR or electronics). Want to avoid excessive swinging on descent. Thanks!

Honestly, I can’t recall the size at the moment, but mine is actually oversized, so it would not be great for an apogee deployment. I had to use a JLCR for my L2, which I agree, you should avoid. And rockets can vary in weight, even if they are the same kit, so what works for mine might not be ideal for you.

I would recommend fully building the kit, prime it, paint it, put in the recovery gear, including quick links, and even the included chute if you have it — then weigh the entire rocket. It would be good to add in the weight of the spent motor too. That’s your weight on descent. Then pick a chute using the Spherachutes descent rate chart. Or call Spherachutes with the weight and ask the size they recommend (they are super nice).

Good luck with your cert flight!

Back